Inward Firing Sub Question - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Inward Firing Sub Question
Tuesday, February 15, 2005 8:52 PM
Hey. I'm packing an Infinity Reference 1032 (10" DVC, 250 rms, 1000 max) driven by an MTX 311D mono amp. My friend has a truck and his system is under the back seat. It sounds damn clean, which i thought was because the sub fired inward unhindered by the rear seats. I dropped the left side of the back seat ('03 cav) and turned my box around to fire inside, and the performance is notably better. Does anyone have an in-cab or inward firing box, and could someone help me with ideas to make one for myself. One thing i considered was to try and take off that section of back seat and build a box that would occupy that space, but I don't know if i can. Post up please.

Hell hath no fury like a pissed off balloon animal.

Re: Inward Firing Sub Question
Tuesday, February 15, 2005 8:55 PM

All it is is a box that sits inside kind of a faceplate that fils up the area between the cab and the trunk. I should have taken pics of it when it was out of my car. But a sealed box that would fit that would be real easy to make. I didn't ever have the time this summer to do mine so I had my local shop make mine while I was at work one day.

Tuesday, February 15, 2005 8:56 PM
is that the whole back seat area?

Wednesday, February 16, 2005 2:39 PM
Ok, Nobody's posting here, so I'll move it back up. It looks like that takes up the whole back seat, but I'm not sure. I have people ride in back every now and then, so that's not an option, at least not the whole back seat. If I choose to remove the small (driver's side) section of the back seat, how would I go about doing so?

Wednesday, February 16, 2005 2:55 PM
That picture^^.. Looks like the outer "faceplate" as he calls it, is flush with the side molding of the trunk brace thing(the red part).. I'm willing to bet that he could fold his seats back up..
And this would be NO problem considering his sub and port is recessed back a bit.. So, with the seat up in normal fashion, the sub wouldn't make contact with the seat..

"If life throws you a curve, pop the clutch and drift it!"
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 3:03 PM
yeah, but if I have to ride with the seats up, it distorts my sound, and instead of clean impact, my whole car rattles and the sound isn't as clear. I'd like to remove part of that back seat and make a box that will come up flush with the seats. Is it possible to remove that seat? I looked at making a sort of extension for my console that goes back to the back seats and mount my sub in there, but there isn't enough room for it, and I doubt there'll be enough room for a floor box. Right now I look kinda ghetto fabulous with part of my back seat down and my custom box all turned around.

Wednesday, February 16, 2005 3:39 PM
back to the top of the list we go....

Wednesday, February 16, 2005 4:04 PM
http://www.teamforwardmotion.com/tfmtech/j-body/audio/rear_seat_removal.htm

09 HHR LS, Wife's Car
05 Cavalier, Clarion DXZ375MP, Autotek MM8000.5 & 13Kv.2, wife's old car, updates coming soon
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 6:08 PM
thanks for the post. Next step: Fabrication

Wednesday, February 16, 2005 7:23 PM
The best way to do it would be to build a bandpass box with a port up through the rear deck. It would hit clean and hard. All of the bass would be funneled up through the port and into the interior of the car. Better performance all the way around.
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 9:45 PM
ok what is better though, the sub facing the front of the car, or the trunk of the
car

hmmmm.... I am confused, and the Blonde genius that is me,
does not easily get confused

Wednesday, February 16, 2005 9:51 PM
If you do it the ported bandpass method it is better to have the sub facing the trunk. This allows the port to be closer to the rear deck where it will project the bass into the interior.
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 10:07 PM
thank you

hmmmm.... I am confused, and the Blonde genius that is me,
does not easily get confused
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 10:30 PM
My car doesnt rattle too much with the seats up.. it does sound better with them down, but with them up I have no problems. It really isn't much different than having a rear firing sub in your trunk with the seat up.

Thursday, February 17, 2005 2:37 PM
I haven't been around much over the winter (lost my passion when my money ran out), but does anyone have any relatively recent pictures of SNDSGOOD's cabin-facing sub enclosure?

Thursday, February 17, 2005 5:11 PM
My car has a huge difference with the seats up, everything rattles like helI. Between my rear-view mirror, and the wires I have running all over the place to my interior lights, it makes for a very nasty sound. I don't have enough experience to confidently make a bandpass box for my car. I'll probably do one for Anthony's ford before I end up with @!#$ty sound in my car. I think I've made up my mind.
I'll take out the left section of the back seat, and build a box/faceplate to fill that hole, even have it latch in where the seat latches. I'll have a little rack for the amp in it, and build a plexi-cover incase I need to have anything/anyone back there where it is. I have an extremely limited budget and semi-limited experience.

Thursday, February 17, 2005 8:26 PM
i've always wanted to remove the back seat and then fabricate something so people can still sit back there without affecting the sub sound. like a padded speaker grill where they can sit back and be comfortable but tat he same time, subs pound right through instead of being muffled by the seat. hmm...

Thursday, February 17, 2005 8:28 PM
My friend and I have developed a pretty good Idea. I'm gonna see if he can't draft it for me so I can put up some pics.

Thursday, February 17, 2005 10:44 PM
Bloodspiller your 5:11pm about the box with the plexi is a bandpass box. Leave your back seats alone and just route the port up and out the rear deck into the interior. it will sound sick and you can have your sub facing the trunk so it can still be seen through the plexi. While at the same time maintaining the comfort of riding in the back seat. Also you wont have the problem with rattling because most if not all of the vibrations will be kept inside the box leaving you with just pounding bass in the interior and no rattles.
Friday, February 18, 2005 5:43 AM
Prefab bandpass = sounds sick ... yeah sick like puking... don't do bandpass. I have been there before, and will never do it again unless it is a custom made box. Stick with sealed or ported.

Friday, February 18, 2005 9:56 AM
The box I intend to do is going to be sealed. The plexi will not be sealed on the front, it would just be a cover to help protect my cone. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a bandpass is where the plexi front is sealed and the back is ported. Oh well, It's off to a job interview with me.

Friday, February 18, 2005 11:28 AM
The port does not necessarily have to come out the back and if you are going to build a box build it to spec and it will technically be a custom box. If all you do is put a piece of unsealed plexi in front of the woofer then it is going to sound horrible.It messes with the acoustics.
Friday, February 18, 2005 11:53 PM
really? How do you suggest I protect the cone without taking up a lot of space or distorting the sound? I didn't know it affected sound much. By the way, every box I've ever built was to the specs on the birth sheet. How else would I want to build it?

Saturday, February 19, 2005 11:23 AM
I was just mentioning it because some people think the bigger the box the better. Does your car have a rear armrest? If so you can do a bndpass and just port it through the armrest otherwise the best way to do it is to port it through the rear deck. I am going to do this next week myself. I have an 04 cav coupe. I own a 15" Massive audio competition series woofer and a cutting edge amp. the sub will be running at about 550watts rms@ 1ohm. But you don't need comp quality stuff to use this method. It works with everything.
Saturday, February 19, 2005 12:07 PM
also bandpasses don't require plexiglass, they just put that on em so you'll buy them.

here's how a bandpass is set up...

--------------------------------------------------------------
Offical dealer for the following-

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search