Centre speaker(s) setups - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Centre speaker(s) setups
Wednesday, March 09, 2005 7:04 AM
Hey, does anyone have a centre channel speaker located in the front centre of their car. I am planning on buying 2, 3.5" speakers, and mounting them where the centre air vents are on my dash. I will just angle one of the speakers so it is pointing right at my left ear, and then the other centre speaker will be pointed to aim right at the passengers left ear. So the speakers will more or less be pointing away from eachother. Cuz then with the door speakers and dash mounted tweeters I should get a pretty good sound stage. But maybe others have better idea or locations, so if any of you have pics of your centre speaker locations please post 'em. Thanx

Re: Centre speaker(s) setups
Wednesday, March 09, 2005 7:25 AM
the problem with 3.5" speakers, is they distort real easy. I put 3.5" Infinity Reference Series speakers in my door panels (along with the 6.5" Infinity Reference Series) I hooked the 3.5" speakers to my head unit, and all my other speakers to my amp. When I turned the system up the 3.5" distorted (I had bass blockers on them too) the volume wasn't even that high, when I disconnected the 3.5" speakers, the system was able to go louder without distorting anywhere and it sound better

Wednesday, March 09, 2005 7:36 AM
Hey, ya I know, but I am going to set the high pass filter at 2000hz, so I dont think I will have to worry about too much distortion and also I will get some very expensive good ones too, I haven't decided which ones yet, but I will let you know when I decide, but does anyone have any pics of there set up or no?
P.S. I am also only using the centre speakers to balance out my sound stage, as I already have the Audiobahn ACIS65 component speaker set, which is 360watts RMS. it hits nice and hard and already does an excellent job of making my sound stage pretty balanced I just want closer to perfection.
Wednesday, March 09, 2005 7:49 AM
hate to tell you this, but that will completly destroy any soundstage you have. now u will have a left and right image placed in the center, so when an image is supposed to be on the far left of the stage it would now be coming in front of your, and same for far right, this would give you stage width of about 2' in the middle of the car. the only way u can possibly do a center channel setup properly is if you used a special center stage processor. this will send a specific signal to the center channel. otherwise you'd be best of just staying with a componet set on the far left and right of the car.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Wednesday, March 09, 2005 10:17 AM
Hey, I believe you, but how come then I always see in mags and what not all these "SQ" cars with a small speaker in the centre of the car located on the dash? I heard that inorder for a centre speaker to work properly so that your sound isn't all messed up like you were saying is the centre speaker(s) have to be hooked up to an amp in bridged mode so that way it doesnt mess with your left and right sound. Plus also the centre speaker is supposed to be run a little quiter then the door / dash speakers so that it doesn't pull your sound stage to the opposit side of your car. This is just what I've picked up over the few months I've been doing research into centre speakers. I understand what you are saying though, and yes if you were to jsut hook up the 2 centre speakers to the apropriate channels on an amplifier, then yes it would seriously mess with the sound stage and quality, but that is why from what I've read and heard the centre speaker(s) MUST ALWAYS be hooked to an amplifier in bridged mode. Does this make more sense?

I know I might also have to adjust the phase on the amp too. I know installing a centre speaker will certainly take A LOT of adjusting and messing around with to get it to sound right, but I fiqure with enough careful planning and research I should be able to in the end have a close to "perfect" sound stage.

Does the bridging idea make sense? Both of the centre speakers I want to install will be playing the EXACT SAME signal, I will hook them up to a 4 channel amp in bridged mode, I will keep the gain down too, so that as I said the combination of the centre speakers and the opposit side door speakers dont pull the soundstage to one side.

Think it'll work now? Sorry I didnt describe what I wanted to accomplish a bit more detailed the first time.
Wednesday, March 09, 2005 3:24 PM
Umm... center channel is only worth it if you have surround (5.1 or 7.1 ... NOT 4.1 or 2.1) otherwise it's pointless. You said yourself that your door speakers are 360W RMS so why waste money on expensive speakers for a stereo set-up??

My setup (after it gets warm enough outside and alla that) will be either 5.1 or 7.1 but I'm not putting the center right up front (it'll be kinda hard w/ the in-dash screen I'm putting in heh) it'll be hidden in the dash, firing up from the center window vent (as opposed to the center face vents like you want). But it will be controlled by a carputer w/ surround sound, not just an amp.

Good luck with w/e you do tho... If you do it, I've read that it helps a lot to have them sealed like subs are... adds major volume to them.

Wednesday, March 09, 2005 4:36 PM
for music....you don't need a center channel. only for movies.

look to clarion, they have a half din unit that would fit perfectly under the headunit. comes with an amp too.

don't forget your decoder and what not.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Offical dealer for the following-

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Wednesday, March 09, 2005 6:24 PM
I like the Clarion center channel speaker because it is 1/2 din so it fits right under the 1 din pop out screen. It has 5 - 3/4” Full range 4 Ohm Speakers in a Sealed Enclosure with 2 -1” Rear-Mounted Midbass Reinforcement Speakers Ported to the Front of the Enclosure. Here is a LINK to it.

Thursday, March 10, 2005 9:17 AM
if your feeding it a bridged signal its basically getting the left and right information. you dont want right information coming out in the center of your dash, that will throw the imaging off. u want a mono signal fed into a processor that sends only the appropriate information to the speaker. yes u will see cars in mags with center channels. but very few are actually any good. when i judged sq evebts. there were more cars setup where the center channel hurt the soundstage then those setups that actually helped it. allot of the cars your seeing nowadays are being setup for the 5.1 as well. been seeing allot of the demo cars like jl's mini cooper.

center channel can be effective in a car for getting a solid image up front, you dont need to have a 5.1 or 7.1 setup to use a center channel effectively. center channels were pretty big in the early 90's until kickpanel speaker mounting hit it big, and now basically with a good set of kickpanels you can get a solid image up front without the need of a center channel.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search