How do I get the stock radio out? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How do I get the stock radio out?
Wednesday, March 16, 2005 5:16 PM
I just aquired a '95 Cavalier and I want to remove the stock AM/FM/Cassette to install a CD player. Unfortunatley the black piece that surrounds the radio/heater & A.C. controls does not "just pop off" as I had anticipated.

Can anyone please point me in the right direction on how to get this off? Thanks.

The clan of Chevrolets:
'95 Cavalier
'97 S-10
'69 Nova
'71 Chevelle

Re: How do I get the stock radio out?
Wednesday, March 16, 2005 6:14 PM
You have to take the top of the dash of, there are screws on the sides, behind plastic covers. Open the doors, and there is a plastic piece that sits in the corner by the door hinge, take that off, and there are a few screws behind that. Then open the glove box, and there are a 3 screws on the top glovebox edge, and there will be 2 gold screws in a slot in the glove box, they are set back almost behind the glove box, but you can see them through the glovebox. After you get the dash top off, there are a few screws holding on the trim you are trying to get off, once you get those off, you are free to go.
Thursday, March 17, 2005 8:02 AM
crow bar, hammer and beer. actualy when i did the stereo in my 2000 it was a pain to do what you are doing rigt now. i ended up breaking the tab that is on the top right corner of the trim that holds the stereo . good news is it goes back in and dosent rttle or look out of place.
the rest did pop off though, there are a ot of 7mm screws too, make sure you have them all. i ended up taking off the instrument console plastic that i by the steering wheel.

Thursday, March 17, 2005 4:53 PM
Friday, March 18, 2005 7:27 AM
search for "guide" lundis made one that will make removal/install extremely easy
Friday, March 18, 2005 10:56 PM
Thanz fellas I finally figured it out. A little more challenging than I thought.

The clan of Chevrolets:
'95 Cavalier
'97 S-10
'69 Nova
'71 Chevelle
Friday, March 18, 2005 11:25 PM
I take my '03 quite a bit, and its the exact same as yours. Take off the little side pieces covered by the doors, and there is one 7mm bolt in each. open the glove box, and there are 3 bolts along the top, and 2 brass recessed inside a hole. use a phillips to remove the defroster cover, snap it out, and there are 2 more bolts waiting in the top corners of it. Snap the dash off, and on either side of the cluster is a bolt, and one more on the passenger side of the dash ring. From there, it snaps out easy, and just unclip the harnesses.

"Sup, G?"
"Aren't you white?"
"Only on the outside, craka."
Sunday, March 20, 2005 1:18 AM
Dude, that's an amazing post. I'm sure that's going to help me a bunch.

One thing though: my Chilton's manual says I need to disable the airbag system before removing the radio.

I almost feel like trying to disable the air bag system is more likely to result in @!#$ something up than not.... but they do have instructions, and I think I can find the stuff they're talking about (the diagrams are... small).

Any advice?
Sunday, March 20, 2005 11:05 AM
i've never disabled my bags. never had a problem. i take my dash apart a lot too, trying to quiet some rattles. but if you feel safer, just go ahead and disable them.

Peace Out!!!
Sunday, March 20, 2005 10:33 PM
Personally, I think trying to disable the bags can f*** them up even more. I never do, just make sure you're not anywhere near those circuits while you play. I actually use the cover as an impromptu table to set tools....like screwdrivers and open knives. One thing, though. For god's sake do not use a test light. Use either a multimeter or a logic probe.

"Sup, G?"
"Aren't you white?"
Monday, March 21, 2005 7:10 AM
14 screws, 5 clips and 1 major pain in the ass

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Monday, March 21, 2005 11:23 AM
why does everyone think its so hard? I actually find it quite easy to take my dash, trim ring, cluster bezel, and console/shifter/cup holder thingy out in less than fifteen minutes.

"Sup, G?"
"Aren't you white?"
Monday, March 21, 2005 8:35 PM
heh heh i have two phillip's head screws to remove my radio and HVAC... but i have a fire.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search