Solo X! opinions? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Solo X! opinions?
Monday, October 17, 2005 6:06 PM
anyone heard/ran the kicker SOLO-X series? how do they sound? i've always been a fan of the way kickers sound, but i've never heard the SOLO-X woofers. at 2500 rms(the 10 and 12 anyways, 18 seems a bit steep for me and i dont think they offer a 15 yet)), i imagine they're loud? i figured it'd pair nicely with an orion 2500D. how does it compare with the other badboys(adire, RE, ect)?

Re: Solo X! opinions?
Monday, October 17, 2005 7:29 PM
they have one hooked up on display at ABT (its liek BestBuy but with $100,000+ home audio setups and crap like that) its the 18" Solo X in a huge ported box.. for the cost of it I don't think its money well spent. obviously display model is gonna be hugely underpowered but regardless for the price I'd look elsewhere.

I've seen them twice in person in one of the Kicker trucks at a local audio event... there were 4 ported SoloX 18's with lots and lots of amps, I don't rememeber what it was hitting at but I remeber it was high enough to need a windsheild made out of 3 seperate pieces of VERY thick lexani or whatever, liek the winmdshield was in 3 suares riveted in hahaha it was badass

there was also a newer chevy tracker that one soloX 18 in a wall that was there. don't remeber what he had for power but it was @!#$ LOUD!!!!

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 9:49 AM
i just got a solo-x 12 for my probe its friggin retarded,i got it threw accomidations at work. If you dont get the proper box for it will sound like @!#$. 3cubic foot port it needs to function properly minimal rms of 1800,not the cleanest but def the loudest sub ive had,dont take it the wrong way theyll sound better than audiobahn,soundstream and the other manufacturers that have tried to put out high end spl subs but not as clean as my mtx 9500's but def loud as hell,be prepared to spend alot tho there not cheap ive seen em on ebay for around $800.....but would slam w/ that orion,but is the orion 2500rms @1 ohm? if so u need a dual 2ohm and the solo-x's ive seen on ebay are dual 4's. I have a dual 2 ohm w/ an audiobahn a2300HCT 2400rms@1.....i could order u 1 if ur interested,would be around $450 for the sub and the box,let me know
Tuesday, October 18, 2005 9:54 AM
as far as going up against adire,brahma,RE,digital designs i could tell ya,my car is a hatch so of course itll be louder,my friend had 3 DD subs in his envoy running off 3 viper amps that put out i believer 1200-1400rms and it was one of the sickest systems i ever heard,he smoked this kid w/ 4 jlW7's the solo-x is a sick wo0fer tho claimed to be "the loudest" but every manufacturer will tell u that to buy it,the retail on the solo-x 12 is $1700,the only reason i got it is cuz i got it for so cheap and i sold my alpine type X's for more than what i paid.....so i guess it depends how much u can get it for
Tuesday, October 18, 2005 10:12 AM
they dont make dual 4 ohm solo x's, they only have dual 1 and dual 2. and on ebay they're running 350 brand new for the 12. with 700 i could have 2 12's

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Kicker-SOLO-X-S12X-12-Subwoofer-S12-X-5000-Watts_W0QQitemZ5818685295QQcategoryZ39777QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 10:37 PM
How small is your penis to need that thing ? Jesus. UNLESS you have the cash and plan on doing some serious competing.. (I am not the biggest spl fan in the world) then why....

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"
Wednesday, October 19, 2005 6:22 PM
you dont need to have a small penis to enjoy bass, some ppl want the sound but dont have the space so you get a high grade speaker

I might end up with a single solo x 10

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 7:52 PM
Short Hand wrote:How small is your penis to need that thing ? Jesus. UNLESS you have the cash and plan on doing some serious competing.. (I am not the biggest spl fan in the world) then why....

When people ask me why I would put an 18" stroker in the trunk of my cavalier, I just ask them "why not??". In my case I had the 18 from my last vehicle (ford explorer) and didn't feel the need to give it away on ebay or leave it holding down the carpet in the bedroom.

The 18" solo-X is a pure SPL sub. From personal experience, if you have a choice it's MUCH easier to install one or two 15" subwoofers in the trunk of a cavalier/SF than an 18". With an 18" sub you have to give your enclosure (whether the sub is pointing forward or back) quite alot of angle for there to be enough space to mount the sub. With my stroker I BARELY made it work without having to cut the top of the rear seat opening to gain more enclosure height. My 18 is angled back just far enough for the box to slip through the opening (the edges of the sub are exactly flush with the top/bottom of the box.), and I have less than 1/4" of clearance under the magnet (inside the box) at that angle. Also, the angle of my box couldn't follow the same angle as the seat, so you lose some potential box volume (which is pretty important for an SPL-oriented enclosure). I'm not sure about the mounting depth of the 18" solo-X, but if it's any more than my stroker then the only way to install it (other than walling it or cutting the trunk opening wider) is to have the sub pointing straight up.
I'm not sure if you were planning on an 18, or even thinking of installing the box in your trunk, but I thought you should be aware that physical dimensions of an 18 inch sub make it very difficult to work with when it comes to building an enclosure for a cavalier that gets the best out of it.

Lastly, for $1700 (US?), you could probably buy multiple other SPL subs and be louder than the solo-X. In the end, it's up to you and what you want. I myself love having 1 huge subwoofer (it's less complicated and more of a challenge).

Free your mind - shoot your TV.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search