98 door remote reprogramming - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
98 door remote reprogramming
Thursday, September 20, 2007 6:27 AM
i havea 98 z24 with power locks but the girl i got the car from lost the remotes for the locks so i was wondering if i can reprogram a new remote to work on my car or if i have to have the deale rdo it for me. i have a remote from the same year cavalier from my buddys junkyard and have a new battery in it but dont know how to program it.

Re: 98 door remote reprogramming
Thursday, September 20, 2007 7:34 AM
here is what you do...

pull back the carpet in the trunk on the left side of the car (drivers side). there is a black box back there, that is your lock computer. there should be a pair of little wires that comes out with a plug on the end of it. you need to jumper those together ( a good flat head screw driver will do the job).

the car will cycle through its lock sequence (lock, unlock, trunk, etc). then, hold the lock and unlock buttons on the remote down. you have now reprogrammed the remote for your car.

i dont know if i got it right or not, but the instructions are alos in the library on this forum.

http://www.j-body.org/faq//89/

1997 RedR - ZedR
Thursday, September 20, 2007 6:07 PM
thanks a lot, i will try that tomorrow and post how it went.
Sunday, September 23, 2007 1:38 PM
well i got this done over the weekend, took all of five minutes total to do and it works perfect. now i need to add a truck release button inside the car like i've seen on the newer cavaliers.

Thanks a lot for the link Whitegoose.
Monday, September 24, 2007 5:44 AM
no problem. ive been wanting to add a trunk release button too. im just debating on if i want it to by pass thesafety on it. im pretty sure my trunk wont release without having the car off and in park.

i know this is for safety reasons, but its annoying as hell when i cant open my trunk while im sitting there at idle in my driveway. i pulled the button i have from a buick i think from the scrap yard.

1997 RedR - ZedR
Monday, September 24, 2007 5:54 AM
i'm going to mount my button somewhere where it wont get pushed while driving so i dont accidentally open the truck while driving and also plan to power it with a hot wire thats only hot while the key is on mainly just so if the car did get broken into they have to work a little harder to get into the truck where most of my goodies are.
Monday, September 24, 2007 5:58 AM
thats not a pad idea. i was going to mount mine in the drivers door pocket where the compartments are for storage. im prety sure i have seen it there in a few grand-ams, seems to work nicely

1997 RedR - ZedR
Saturday, December 01, 2007 11:28 AM
whitegoose( RedR-ZedR) wrote:thats not a pad idea. i was going to mount mine in the drivers door pocket where the compartments are for storage. im prety sure i have seen it there in a few grand-ams, seems to work nicely

Sorry from bringing this back from the dead, but this thread helped me alot. thanks.

I'm back from the dead.
Currently Driving: RSX Type-S.
My Cavalier Burnt up :-(
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search