Power issue, 97 Sunfire - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Power issue, 97 Sunfire
Saturday, May 10, 2008 4:43 PM
I just installed the Scytek Visionguard, and added electric doors. I tested everything and everything worked correctly, so I decided to mount the sensors and the unit, put the plastic panels back on etc etc.

The alarm functions correctly, but I noticed that when I turn on the headlights, or parking lights, that I basically lose power to everything. My gauges freeze where they are, my lighter socket has no power, and even my radio stops working. The power loss lasts until I turn off the lights, and sometimes a little bit longer afterwards. I noticed that all the settings in my radio were reset which means it didnt just lose running power, but its constant 12v also.

What could be causing this? No fuses were blown. So I dont think theres too much demand on the wires, and everything works properly so I doubt its the ground. Could it just be a pinched wire? Obviously, tomorrow when the suns comes out, I'll check the wire for the parking lights that goes into the alarm unit, but I doubt its that also, because when I arm the system, it flashes the parking lights just fine. Any thoughts?

Re: Power issue, 97 Sunfire
Sunday, May 11, 2008 6:00 AM
You definitely have a cossed wire, or something shorted....or just something wired wrong.

Re: Power issue, 97 Sunfire
Monday, May 12, 2008 10:38 AM
Well I redid my entire alarm system, systematically, disconnecting and checking each wire, and none of them were the problem. So I disconnected my battery to rewire everything, and it was diconnected for like 60 minutes or so, and when I reconnected the battery and started the engine, I let it run, and then I heard this like CLICK noise that I always hear when I reconnect my battery after a prolonged period (don't know exactly what it is, but to me it indicated the CPU was reset), and everything worked fine. Thanks for your feedback though.

Jeff
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search