Ugh. Having some problems. - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ugh. Having some problems.
Saturday, October 04, 2008 11:59 PM
As some may know, I installed a basic sub/amp combo in my gf's car a while back (12" Type-R and Alpine 500w amp). Well long story short it started cutting out recently for no reason, then died altogether. I was looking at it tonight, and discovered that the wires from the sub to the terminal cup had shaken loose. No big deal, I crimp them on, problem solved? Nope.

The sub plays normally now, but only when the gain is set incredibly low (less than half) and the bass eq the same. If it's playing and i adjust the bass level from the radio, it clips and then cuts out. the amp still has power running to it, but it doesn't have a protect indicator that i'm aware of. All the connections are fine, it just seems like it doesn't want to transfer juice to the sub.

anyone have any ideas?

Re: Ugh. Having some problems.
Sunday, October 05, 2008 8:53 AM
Bad ground? That cause some issues I had at the beginning of the summer and what youre describing sounds like that.

Sunday, October 05, 2008 3:03 PM
Well I just redid the ground, and while it will take a bit more juice now, it still does the same thing. Even if i have it set on very conservative settings, if i turn the volume up, it'll clip and cut out. I'm really confused by this. have any other ideas? could this be a problem with the sub itself? maybe the amp?

Sunday, October 05, 2008 3:50 PM
Check the tinsel leads and see if they're separated.

Tuesday, October 07, 2008 1:37 PM
Well I pulled the woofer out and realized I don't really know how to tell if the leads are separated. Is this when they un-braid themselves, or totally disconnect from the coils/terminals? The leads are still securely attached to the coils and terminals, so I'm going to hook it up to a different amp and see if it still behaves the same way.

Tuesday, October 07, 2008 2:37 PM
Just curious does the sub quit or the cd player shut off?
Tuesday, October 07, 2008 4:11 PM
The sub quits. My multimeter told me one of the voice coils is blown.

Wednesday, October 08, 2008 10:48 AM
lol P2 punch on the way

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search