moving DRLS - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
moving DRLS
Friday, January 14, 2005 1:17 PM
instead of disabling them, i'd like them to turn on my corner lamps instead of the headlights. i have clear corners, and then i replaced the amber bulb with a red one. looks nice at night. it there any way i could just move the wire from the headlight to the corner? i could just disable the drls and then turn the headlights up one click instead of 2, but i'd rather just splce a wire and be done with it. <br>

Re: moving DRLS
Monday, January 17, 2005 8:44 AM
no one? <br>

Monday, January 17, 2005 4:22 PM
i dont know a whole lot about the wiring, but if I was you i woud take the red bulbs out asap, if a cop sees them he could pull you over and give you a problem, he might even try to get you for acting like a cop, my friend got pulled over and the had a big hassle with the cops because he had two little blue cobra eyes in his hood, i mean really do what ya want im just tryin to help you out
Monday, January 17, 2005 4:30 PM
i dont live in the states right now. i'm moving back to NY in the summer, but as of right now, i'm in Dominican Republic. the police here dont bother you with petty crap like bulb color. the only thing they love to bother you about my seat belt(like 10 tickets already. think i'd learn..). i have a limo tint all around my car. even the front windsheild! cant see jack @!#$ in my car.. point is, i'm pretty safe with the red bulbs. when i move back and buy a cavi or something, then i'll start worrying those stupid lawsthanks for the heads up though. <br>

Tuesday, January 18, 2005 8:43 AM
your lucky cops in saskatoon are anal bout @#% like that !!!!!!!!!!!!!! <br>

Whats up people?
Tuesday, January 18, 2005 2:20 PM
heh. so no one knows? <br>

Sunday, February 13, 2005 7:52 PM
????

Sunday, February 13, 2005 8:01 PM
Your question is hard to figure out. What exactly are you asking?

Im in the everybody club are you?
Monday, February 14, 2005 8:16 AM
when i turn my car on and put it into gear, instead of my headlamps lighting up, i want my bumper lights to turn on you know when you turn the light one click the parking lights turn on? like that, but only the bumper lights. the round turn signals on a sunfire. it'd kind of like disabling them, but not. i got 99- sunfire gt turn signals, and they are clear, then i put a red bulb in there. it really shines nicely and i'd like for them to be my drls. then at night, the red lights would match with a red underglow kit.

Monday, February 14, 2005 9:01 AM
As far as i know, no you can. It needs the passanger side front headlight bulb socket to work, because when i fried mine, the relay would make the driver side HL Blink for about a min. then turn off. And the service light would then appear.

YOu may be able you remove the wiring going to the HL's and wire them to your corner lights, and your corner light wirng to the HL sockets, but i highly doubt that it would work.

Monday, February 14, 2005 10:14 AM
if you have an 00+ J with a BCM, I thought of this a while ago, and while no one has tried it (nor even thought about it) i think it should work, but remember, I'm not liable for anything that goes wrong in the car.

Find a really thin Light Green/Black wire coming out of your BCM, it should be in pin A4 (maybe in the third connector). this is the ground signal from the BCM to trigger the drl relay. Hook that up to a relay (pin 86) and pin 85 to 12v constant. Connect the 87 to 12v constant also, and connect the 30 out pin of the relay to your bumper lights + side, and ground the negative sides to something. This of course is assuming that your bumper lights will not be connected to the parking lights. Try it out, and be the first to say that Viper made you the first ever to have moved the DRLs to the parking lights

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -

Monday, February 14, 2005 10:19 AM
find out which ever wire to ur headlights is ur DRL's and cut it off, and then hook it up to the power wire for your Bumper Lights (or whichever ones u want on)....logically that will work, but since when has wiring ever been logical

Monday, February 14, 2005 10:21 AM
^ that will NOT work, its not as easy as you think, its all an integrated system on your main headlight wires.

Monday, February 14, 2005 12:13 PM
sounds like a plan, i'll give it a try this weekend. if it doesnt work, then all i have to do is put it back the way it used to be. i COULD just disable the DRL's and then when i want the parking lamps on, move the light switch up one and be done with it, but i like this permanent solution better. and i have a 2001 with the bcm(i checked)

Monday, February 14, 2005 12:16 PM
wait, now that i reread that, if i do the mod, then my lights wont flash when i put the turn signals on? theres no way i could keep them as turn signals too? cause when i turn my lights on at night, they stay on, and when i put the signal, then they flash deeper/lighter/deeper/lighter, ect..

Monday, February 14, 2005 1:13 PM
do you have dual or single filament bulbs for the turn signals?

Monday, February 14, 2005 1:26 PM
look at viper the smart dude lol......

he knows his ish, so id listen to him lol

Monday, February 14, 2005 3:36 PM
dual filament. when i turn my headlights on, the cumper lights turn on too and stay on. when i put the hazard lights on, they just get brighter, then darker, then brighter, then darker, while they blink. like the rear side lights, they turn on when you turn the car on too.

Monday, February 14, 2005 3:56 PM
thats not necessarily dual filament. pull one out and count how many wires you got going into it.

Monday, February 14, 2005 5:36 PM
yea, they're dual. i juct checked. it has 3 wires going into it and i can see both filaments inside the bulb. one of them stays on and the other blinks when i turn the hazards on(i tested it..)

Monday, February 14, 2005 5:40 PM
ok, well you could wire it to the parking light. the only problem you're gonna have is that then your rear parking light is gonna go on too, unless you place a diode (and a big one at that).

Monday, February 14, 2005 5:54 PM
will that draw more current than the current drl's are drawing? if so, by alot?

cause my battery isnt that great. its holding up 3000 watts pretty well, but when i have the ac on, the headlights on, and i step on the brake, it cuts out the music sometimes(rarely). for some reason the brakes always break the camels back..

Monday, February 14, 2005 6:43 PM
current draw will only be as much as the bulbs that you have wired are sucking up.....but like i said, you might have a problem of having all the parking lights on, in which then you should just turn on the parking lights

Monday, February 14, 2005 6:51 PM
sounds like a plan, i'll give it a try tomorrow

Tuesday, February 15, 2005 6:04 PM
2 quick questions before i try it out..

1. i bought the relay, but theres one more connector left. whats 87a for?

2. do i just splice into the bumper pos wire, or cut it and replace it? i was thinking if i cut it and replay it with the wire from the relay, then the rear parking lights might not come on which would be good. and it doesnt matter if they recieve power when i put the parking lights on cause they'll be recieveing it from the drl anyways. the only bad thing i could see is that if i put the car in park, then they'd be off regardlee of whether the parking lights are on or not. but i'd just put the hazard lights on or something. it doesnt happen often enough for me to care.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search