Alpine Type-X sub?? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Alpine Type-X sub??
Saturday, March 05, 2005 6:26 AM
Hello,

Just wondering how good the sound quality is on an alpine type-x compaired to a 12" Kicker L7 or 10" JL W7.

I am thinking about swapping out my current 12" L7 kicker for a new sub or two. AlsoI am looking for more SQ then SPL.

Any input would be great.

Thanks

Re: Alpine Type-X sub??
Saturday, March 05, 2005 2:41 PM
i just went to a shop today and talked to this dude about the type X and he said if u give it the right amount of space to beat in a ported box i think he said 2 cubic feet for a ported box it will out beat a jl W7 but if u want to play it all the time only punch like 1000-1500 watts but for only shows and hit u can punch 3000 watts but if u get it get the alpine 1000watt alpine amp because it is made for the dual 4 ....and he said don't put it in a fiberglass box if u do sone as u turn it up he saw a guy blow the @!#$ out of his fiberglass box lol ...he said u need 2 1/2 in mdf on the front and 2' on the rest of the side's of the box....and the guys works for alpine so he knows what he is talking about

Sunday, March 06, 2005 10:21 AM
Focal makes good sq subs

Monday, March 07, 2005 2:59 PM
fiberglass can be made to be stronger then mdf. just because one persons fiberglass box broke doesnt make all fiberglass boxes defective.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Monday, March 07, 2005 3:46 PM
justin rockwell wrote:i just went to a shop today and talked to this dude about the type X and he said if u give it the right amount of space to beat in a ported box i think he said 2 cubic feet for a ported box it will out beat a jl W7 but if u want to play it all the time only punch like 1000-1500 watts but for only shows and hit u can punch 3000 watts but if u get it get the alpine 1000watt alpine amp because it is made for the dual 4 ....and he said don't put it in a fiberglass box if u do sone as u turn it up he saw a guy blow the @!#$ out of his fiberglass box lol ...he said u need 2 1/2 in mdf on the front and 2' on the rest of the side's of the box....and the guys works for alpine so he knows what he is talking about

This has to be one of the funniest things I have read.

"all your bass are belong to us"
Tuesday, March 08, 2005 1:52 PM

This has to be one of the funniest things I have read.

and u can come up with better info?

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 6:13 PM
Well, chances are if the guy works for Alpine, he'd say anything to make a sale on the Type-X's. I have heard the Type-X's before and I was not very impressed over all and this is compared to my Type-R's. But, I just took the word from others on this board and went with a 12" RE XXX sub and this is hitting harder and clearer than my R's. Some other good subs are Adire's and I'm also a fan of the JBL subwoofers. Out of those subs if your looking for more SQ I would go with the W7 even though the price is very steep. Though, you should seriously look into a XXX.
Wednesday, March 09, 2005 8:12 AM
well based on what he said about fiberglass enclosures points out he doesnt know what he's talking about, 1/4" of fiberglass built right is equal to 3/4" of mdf. so saying u can't use fiberglass, is flat out wrong. and unless this thing is putting out over 200db's worth, you wont need a 2 1/2" front plate. it sounds more like hes a guy that works at an audio shop sweeping floors, trying to talk above his knowledge level.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Thursday, March 10, 2005 5:16 PM
where can i go check out the re xxx subs?

-john
Thursday, March 10, 2005 8:08 PM
Resonant Engineering has their website at www.reaudio.com, but I've also started to notice dealers for them popping up.
-Dusty
Wednesday, April 26, 2006 5:47 PM
i have a alpine type-x 10 in my gti

the box is 1" mdf, 1 cubic foot, sealed.......... best sub i have ever heard i have it hooked up to a rockford power bd1000 monoblock putting out about 1200 watts at 2 ohms at 14.4v

i used to have a 10 JL w7 in a combo with JL's ported box

and now hands down i would choose the x type............ its cleaner, hits harder (thats right harder), its a hell of a lot cheaper (350 with the custom box vs. 600 from JL)

trust me you wont be disappointed at all

PPPSSSS!!!! MMMMMmmmMMM boost=yummy

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 8:03 PM
Up here in Canadia, the Type-X isn't that much cheaper than a W7. Christ, a Kicker 15L7 runs us $800+, and the Type X isn't much different; a 10W7 is only about a hundred bucks more.

*If* you were Canadian, and didn't want to spend an enormous fortune, I would go with a Type R in a sealed box. If it was a choice between JL and Alpine, I would buy a JL W6v2 - alot less than either the W7 or Type X, but equal SQ.

But then, if I was going to spend $800-900 on a sub, it would be something from Digital Designs, Treo, or Mmats.

The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.
Wednesday, April 26, 2006 11:58 PM
in my opion its all about price wise actually, i can get 15 kicker L7 for about 189 a piece, the type x is great and all but seriously the w7 hits harder then the type x, i've installed 4 type x's in a galant, they hit hard and all but i dropped him with 2 15's L7's, kickers are designed to push more air then round subs, second look at the wiring of a type x, to seriously try and break a fiberglassed box, you would load that sub at 1 ohm with a 1 ohm stable amp, and you still wouldn't break that box, that guy who told you that was probably an intern, you should get some thats nice hits hard when you need it and its livable with you lady friend, RE audios xxx are really good for the buck, also look into a sub called cadence beast, in a vented box they hit hard as hell, and like wise in a closed encloser, but i would choose kicker over JL because the Solo X with the right amount of power is rated better then anything jl produces, even though you would probably using JL amps to power it lol

just riding around in the 4 door cav
Thursday, April 27, 2006 9:09 AM
^^^ but like you said before L7s are designed to flow more air then a conventional round sub so really 2 15s prolly = 4 10s

if you like quaility i would still say anything but JL

plus everyone and there mom has JL audio

PPPSSSS!!!! MMMMMmmmMMM boost=yummy

Saturday, April 29, 2006 9:58 PM
The W7 is known for being a very natural sounding sub. The Type X is almost if not just as competitive, YOU will not be dissapointed with ehither. + the sub could be from the arse of the lord himself, but it will still sound like crap if your box construction is sub par.

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"
Sunday, April 30, 2006 11:45 AM
justin rockwell wrote:This has to be one of the funniest things I have read.

no but im sure taht i could write it better then that

hmmmm.... I am confused, and the Blonde genius that is me,
does not easily get confused
Sunday, April 30, 2006 1:46 PM
streetfireMK wrote:
justin rockwell wrote:This has to be one of the funniest things I have read.

no but im sure taht i could write it better then that

its funny because of this

"but if u get it get the alpine 1000watt alpine amp because it is made for the dual 4 ....and he said don't put it in a fiberglass box if u do sone as u turn it up he saw a guy blow the @!#$ out of his fiberglass box lol ...he said u need 2 1/2 in mdf on the front and 2' on the rest of the side's of the box....and the guys works for alpine so he knows what he is talking about"

the info isn't even remotely acurate, liek its so out there its funny.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search