Vortech build thread (slow progress) - Page 2 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Vortech build thread (slow progress)
Thursday, August 07, 2008 6:29 PM
I'm glad you decided to take care of the intercooling situation from the get go, you will thank youself in the long run. If the car has been down for this long you obviously don't need it as a daily driver so taking your time and doing it right the first time is going to pay off greatly!

I'm excited to see it taking shape and it almost makes me wanna get mine running again... almost...

Thursday, August 07, 2008 6:36 PM
RaGiN Z (the fake 05) wrote:I'm glad you decided to take care of the intercooling situation from the get go, you will thank youself in the long run. If the car has been down for this long you obviously don't need it as a daily driver so taking your time and doing it right the first time is going to pay off greatly!

I'm excited to see it taking shape and it almost makes me wanna get mine running again... almost...

My car isn't down and it is my daily driver.... The engine on the stand is the original i swapped out of my car a couple years ago (burning oil) and is my mock up engine. It will eventually be rebuilt with forged internals and all the other normal goodies. Maybe if my car was down this would move along a little quicker.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Thursday, August 07, 2008 6:38 PM

Thursday, August 07, 2008 8:45 PM
interesting, I like

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Friday, August 08, 2008 12:24 PM
I went down to the machine shop today to find that my pulley is done
Its made out of steel The machinist wanted to use steel cause he said its easier to work with. Once i get everything mounted up i might get another one made out of aluminum.
Another part to add to the pile

Friday, August 08, 2008 12:29 PM
@!#$in RUDE! Love the Centerfugial Blower...
Friday, August 08, 2008 1:59 PM
well.. seeing as how its steel and not cast iron like the stocker, it should be a tad lighter anyways so its not a TOTAL loss lol

the work here is amazing, i cant wait to see a finished product. seems as though the hard parts are behind you, man. keep plugging away at it!

Friday, August 08, 2008 2:07 PM
z yaaaa wrote:well.. seeing as how its steel and not cast iron like the stocker, it should be a tad lighter anyways so its not a TOTAL loss lol

the work here is amazing, i cant wait to see a finished product. seems as though the hard parts are behind you, man. keep plugging away at it!

Thanks man, but its not for the crank its for the S/C. I already have aluminum crank and alt. pulleys so with the weight of this I think i'm still lighter than stock.

Friday, August 08, 2008 2:25 PM
well color me a retard then. LOL

Friday, August 08, 2008 2:45 PM
plz finish !, I need to see the results !

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"
Friday, August 08, 2008 5:12 PM
Speaking of finishing things..Short Hand, where the hell are the updates to your build? lol.

Last i read, you bought a tial BOV or WG...don't remember which.

@!#$in get on that, cheif!!

Saturday, August 09, 2008 8:18 PM
very nice... I cant wait to see videos and some power numbers.. That was one of my ideas i was going to do before I made the twin charged set up but i do like what you have done there.. and with a built motor, that supercharger will be enough to get you well into the 300-350whp range

The First Twin Charged jbody
blue car (R.I.P) - 240whp @7psi..
silver car - 305whp 315lbs.tq @15psi (91 Octane) or 420whp & 425lbs.TQ @20psi (94 octane+Alcohol Injection)
All dynos run on a Mustang dyno

Sunday, August 10, 2008 5:36 PM
Yeah, What ever you need man.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, August 11, 2008 7:34 AM
you have a pm. I need a pully made for my rsm kit.
can you help?

horsepower is how hard you hit the wall, Torque is how far you push the wall with you
Monday, August 11, 2008 12:53 PM
Probably.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, August 11, 2008 1:54 PM
haha that was to sleepy i need his stock pully if he has the rsm kit. i want to try a different approach to make more boost with the same charger.

horsepower is how hard you hit the wall, Torque is how far you push the wall with you
Monday, August 11, 2008 5:25 PM
-MD- LD9 wrote:Yeah, What ever you need man.

I'll be in contact when I get to that point. Thanks

Josh Csepegi (CUYOTE) wrote:you have a pm. I need a pully made for my rsm kit.
can you help?

You have a pm.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 6:47 AM
I really like what you have got going on here. I was hoping for the M62 route personally. I would be inclined to go this route too. I would not want to mount it where the AC goes. Oddly enough I kind of like my AC. I was thinking of a way to mount it where the m45 sits.

I am not real familar with this supercharger. How big of an issue is heat expected to be with it intercooled? Will it produce a higher IAT @ 10psi than say a 20g turbo that is intercooled. I would hate to see it suffer from the same heatsoak issues the M45 and M62 suffer from.

I guess what I am really looking for is a supercharger that does not heatsoak can be intercooled and has some serious potential.

What was the issue you had with the pulley not lining up? Did the shaft put the pulley to far towards the passenger side frame railor woukd the pulley have been to close to the engine to line up?

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 6:58 AM
just for you, Wade

Mind you, this is also the guy who originally built a manifold and placed the m90 on it much like the m45. He changed his way of thinking and mounted it where the AC was and page 5 (the link) post number 213 (can be found in the upper right hand of each post) proves that this way is much more efficient.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 8:04 AM
"I guess what I am really looking for is a supercharger that does not heatsoak can be intercooled and has some serious potential."

The v9 should do it for you. We have yet to see a Vortech spin really fast on a 2.4. The one I experienced at aprox. 14 psi with a ported head wasn't intercooled. It rendered even relatively sticky tires useless. Until the engine popped of course.

If there is any blower setup that would deal with heat soak, it would be the Vortech with it's oiling system and the fact that the blower is relatively thermally isolated from the engine. I expect the deciding factor is the tempurature of the oil entering the gearbox. It would be interesting albiet complicated to try a seperate oiling system for the blower. Or maybe just a decent oil cooler in line before the blower. I'm not sure what the ideal temp the gears would want to see.

I guess we'll see what happens.

It's great to see some progress.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 5:26 PM
Wade Jarvis wrote:I really like what you have got going on here. I was hoping for the M62 route personally. I would be inclined to go this route too. I would not want to mount it where the AC goes. Oddly enough I kind of like my AC. I was thinking of a way to mount it where the m45 sits.

I am not real familar with this supercharger. How big of an issue is heat expected to be with it intercooled? Will it produce a higher IAT @ 10psi than say a 20g turbo that is intercooled. I would hate to see it suffer from the same heatsoak issues the M45 and M62 suffer from.

I guess what I am really looking for is a supercharger that does not heatsoak can be intercooled and has some serious potential.

What was the issue you had with the pulley not lining up? Did the shaft put the pulley to far towards the passenger side frame railor woukd the pulley have been to close to the engine to line up?

There is no way this supercharger is fitting where the m45 sits unless you can find a way to relocate the alternator. The unit is too tall, it would be going through the hood. The dimensions according to Vortech are: 7.836" Wide, 9.904" Tall, 5.391" Deep (not including input shaft or the clearance required for the oil drain).

I think heat will be less of an issue than a comparable turbo. The reason is that its totally isolated from the exhaust system unlike a turbo. It should be better than a roots type supercharger because its more isolated from engine heat and the design is said to create less heat within the S/C itself.

The issue with the pulley is actually a couple issues. The pulley that comes on the RSM system is a custom made part that in no way would work. It was way too small (1" in dia.) and it extended a few inches from the input shaft. The other problem is that in order to get this monster in there i had to tuck the S/C up kinda behind the alternator a bit. This put the input shaft an inche or so away from the belt line (too close to the engine). So i had to get a custom one made up that extended the pulley out to line up with the belt.

Thursday, September 11, 2008 1:46 PM
Looking good. keep up the good work

Friday, September 12, 2008 10:05 PM
Time for a little update. I finally got the pulley painted, installed and the belt on... only to encounter a snag. The belt tensionner is making the bracket flex, pulling the S/C out of alignment. The solution... simply add more steel!!! I fabbed up a bracket real quick and voila, problem solved. I also got the last fitting i needed to make the oil filter relocation work.

Now for the really fun stuff!!! I decided to see if all my fabrication was going to work out or not. I pulled the A/C, alternator and stock tensionner. I mounted the bracket, modified tensionner, S/C and reinstalled the alt. Drum rolllllllllll......... It fits... barely. I even decided to throw the belt on (not too easy to do compared to the mock up engine) and fire the engine up. I mostly waned to see if the belt would do anything funny. I DID setup an oiling system so the S/C wasn't running dry, even tho it only ran for 1 or 2 minutes. The sound of this S/C is AMAZING I can't wait to get it up and running.

A you can see there are some minor issues. The evap solenoid needs to be moved, some coolant lines need to be moved and some wiring needs to be dealt with. All minor things that can be fixed easy enough. Another thing is that the compressor outlet will have to be pointing upwards. If i try to clock it downwards the snail hits the intake manifold and if i clock it forward its only and inch from the rad. Oh well, one extra bend isn't too bad.

I'm still needing to get: injector clips, oil pump, intecooler piping and some hoses made up for the oiling system.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, September 12, 2008 10:31 PM

Saturday, September 13, 2008 4:56 AM
Woohoo! Congrats man. Looks good on there
Keep working away at it.

Saturday, September 13, 2008 2:29 PM
looks great dude!

Monday, September 15, 2008 2:29 PM
Wow,looking good.Now we can finally see the potential of a vortech s/c on the 2.4l.The only thing id be worried about is the s/c pulley.Is that a set screw that slides on to the s/c shaft?Id try to get a pulley with a key way on it.You dont want that thing spinning loose on the shaft.

Peter
'06 Cobalt ss/sc W/G85 Package
Gm Stage II W/2.79" Pulley
K&N Drop In Filter
Custom Magnaflow Dual Exhaust

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search