How To: LD9/Ecotec Boosted PCV System - Page 3 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: How To: LD9/Ecotec Boosted PCV System
Thursday, February 19, 2009 6:22 PM
Hell I would do a flat $35 shipped which simplifies it all and makes you a couple dollars in the process. If needed I wouldn't hesitate to pay that $13 over cost.

Thursday, February 19, 2009 6:37 PM
Joe Schulte wrote:Hell I would do a flat $35 shipped which simplifies it all and makes you a couple dollars in the process. If needed I wouldn't hesitate to pay that $13 over cost.

yeah but i have to deal with shipping to canada... and not sure how much to ship that stuff. id rather not take the chance to lose on this. granted its not much but still...

Thursday, February 19, 2009 7:34 PM
Taking my name off the list because I have a Mcmaster Car account. Thx Vince.

Name, quantity, email, payment method
--------------------------
1. Vincent Morris, 2, Vink70_99@yahoo.com, paypal
2. Brandon Powell, 2, brandon_20_bp@hotmail.com, paypal
3. Scott Kesterke, 2, goaltendersup33@hotmail.com, hookers and blow/possibly paypal
4. Sean Friend, 2, massive_guitarist@hotmail.com, paypal
5. Yousif Yousif, 2. camel669@hotmail.com, Paypal

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Thursday, February 19, 2009 7:35 PM
yep sounds good. not a problem.

Thursday, February 19, 2009 9:44 PM
payment sent. Thanks vince

Thursday, February 19, 2009 9:49 PM
3 paid so far. thanks guys

Friday, February 20, 2009 3:41 PM
Ok, ive been to home depot, and lowes for the male 1/2 npt threading to 1/4 brass barb fitting and they dont carry that exact size. This would be for the check valves. Anybody have any luck finding this size?

306 TQ
Friday, February 20, 2009 4:36 PM
3 paid so far...

Saturday, February 21, 2009 12:10 PM
Vincent, i didn't even know you were taking payment yet lol. I was waiting for a PM reply.

Saturday, February 21, 2009 12:19 PM
sorry i posted in here thinking people checked on this post to see. i think i need 1 more person and should be good to order.

Saturday, February 21, 2009 12:21 PM
Payment sent.

Saturday, February 21, 2009 9:46 PM
I got my check valve in about a week or so ago. It's a big piece that is very quality. I was able to find the 1/2" male fittings at my local Home Depot without any problem...

President/Founder - 607 Motorsports
Sunday, February 22, 2009 12:12 AM
anyone figured it out for a ecotec yet? lol... please i need some help im all new to this boost talk lol... thx in advance...

Sunday, February 22, 2009 8:48 AM
pj is going to look into it still.

waiting on chris to pay then im ordering

Sunday, February 22, 2009 11:10 AM
thanks vincent i'll keep a look at this page then... after he figures it out i may need you to order them for me.... thx man...

Sunday, February 22, 2009 11:33 AM
not a problem. he told me that no OEM manifold can accomodate it so we have to go aftermarket. i think that goes for the saab one as well since ints an oem style manifold. not positive.

Sunday, February 22, 2009 10:18 PM
if i dont hear from sweetness by the end of tomorrow im going to order them regardless.

Monday, February 23, 2009 2:59 PM
i believe everyone has paid. going to try to order tonight when my dad gets home since its his account. thanks again everyone.

Monday, February 23, 2009 5:29 PM
ok guys i've been going back and forth with vince on this the past couple days, and here's the most up to date information I can provide for our port on the head.

The plastic manifolds have the vent integrated into itself. There's no way to tap it. the hole is small and ovular. Also as far as I know, there is NO one-way check valve in the plastic manifolds. That means if you boost, you're going to reverse the flow of the PCV system.

A guy emailed vince with a picture of how he ran his, but the picture he sent vince is of an LSJ head. here's the differences:

LSJ head:

L61 head:

you can see the PCV port for the LSJ is higher and a circle, whereas the L61 vent is lower and an oval shape.

now, if you're curious about the LSJ head PCV, I initially told vince that no OEM manifold will work.. but I realized that the SAAB intake has (what I believe to be) an integral check valve over the PCV port. Its a small plastic thing pictured here:

I'd imagine the LSJ s/c manifold has the same thing. The L61 manifolds do NOT have a check valve in there (I will confirm this again tonight with the manifolds I have at home), and as far as I can tell cannot be modified for one.

You cannot use the SAAB or LSJ manifolds on the L61 head without having PCV problems. The manifold must be drilled to use the L61 pcv vent, or, you have to modify the SAAB gasket to allow the vent to sneak up to the PCV vent on the SAAB/ LSJ manifold.

Here's what it looks like when you put a plastic manifold on the LSJ head:

the only option at this point is to have an aftermarket manifold with a fitting directly over the vent hole on the L61, and run a hose to a check valve, then from the check valve to the manifold. If you wanted to use an LSJ head and a plastic manifold, you could clearance the PCV hole, and tap the head for a fitting and use it that way, but for the L61 guys you're still pretty much screwed with the stock manifold.

There may be a way to modify the inside of the plastic manifold but I have to take a look when I get home. The other solution I can think of is a SAAB manifold, and drilling the L61 head so that the PCV will vent in both places, but since the bottom ovular port will be plugged, the one you drill to match the SAAB manifold will become the PCV vent. The only problem with this mod is its irreversible, and I wouldn't recommend drilling the head without extensive cleaning afterwards (like a trip to a machine shop).

I'm still working on a solution, I have one or two more ideas that might work.

Monday, February 23, 2009 6:50 PM
def interested. looks like for sure its going to be down to an aftermarket manifold.

for the aftermarket one, would you have to dish a part of it for the pcv oval to "pool" just so you can tap in there. so its not mated right up against the head? you get what im saying... ill send you a message in a bit.

EDIT: check valves are ordered... thanks again guys.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, February 23, 2009 7:22 PM

Tuesday, February 24, 2009 11:17 AM
These check valves are huuge lol. My Mcmasters just arrived.

306 TQ

Tuesday, February 24, 2009 12:18 PM
WHITECAVY wrote:These check valves are huuge lol. My Mcmasters just arrived.

dave whatcha bitchn about.... size matters lol

Tuesday, February 24, 2009 12:23 PM
^^ HAHA only bitching because I gotta find a way to support that lug that is only attached to 1/4 hose lol

306 TQ
Tuesday, February 24, 2009 12:51 PM
it's a lot to read and my head hurts cause I've read it...

I've got a boosted eco with the factory intake...

Is this just about the 2.4 then or what?

What am I supposed to do?

Can someone PM me with some simple details...

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 9:52 AM
check valves are in. will try to get quotes out for shipping tonight if possible. i have drill at the fire department so im gonna try to get them out asap.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search