How To: LD9/Ecotec Boosted PCV System - Page 6 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: How To: LD9/Ecotec Boosted PCV System
Wednesday, March 04, 2009 7:52 PM
Ill post pics.

Vince, Im not running a line to my turbo intake. Gonna do without it. Will run everything else thats in the setup on page 1 though.

I found another place on my intake mani that im gonna use. Im good to go, besides waiting on my catch can.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ

Wednesday, March 04, 2009 7:56 PM
good to hear. glad the second valve worked out for you. cant wait to see it running.

Wednesday, March 04, 2009 9:04 PM

Great Drawings!

Kinda overkill though. The "Air/Oil Separator" on the block of the LD9 works like most catch cans do, however it has a direct drain to the block. The hole goal here is to keep "Pressurized" air from entering the A/O Separator and block via the vacuum port. 2 ways to do this. One, like Brandon's pic. Drill/tap a 1/4" nipple into the A/O separator and run it to the manifold, with a check valve inline (allows vacuum in, keeps boost out) and block off the stock port in the head..... OR Replace the A/O separator completely and run ONE Catch can. The Vent on the timing chain is just like the vent found on the Valve cover of the 2200, or the B16, or a SBC. All those run a replaceable PCV Valve, and you can get inline ones from Auto stores. Run a hose from the Timing chain housing to the catch can, and the other line from the catch can to the intake on the turbo (no check valve needed). MOST good catch cans have a "Air/Oil Separator" built into the top of the catch can.

The "Major" outlet for the A/O Separator is the tube going to the intake track, not the port in the head itself. The OEM air intake system is restrictive, and under load the vacuum in the intake is what draws the fumes from the crank case into the intake to be burned. At idle, the intake track vacuum is low, thats where the ports in the manifold come into play. If you look at the OEM 2.4 gasket, you will see it gets vacuum from all 4 runners, not just cylinder 3.

The A/O separator and a Catch can will catch MOST of the oil vapor, and keep it out of the intake track, while allowing the crank case to vent properly.

Oil leaks and blown seals are usally a sign of a RESTRICTED PCV system....... Simply having a crimped hose between the Timing chain vent and the A/O Separator can cause that. For those that want to run a catch can, bypass the oem A/O separator all together (make a block off plate), and plumb the 2 large hoses like OEM (Timing chain housing to the Catch Can, Catch Can to the intake pipe "pre turbo"). For many, just venting the vent to atmosphere is all that is needed (if you dont care about emissions..... and having your oil get dirty faster)

I seem to remember a PCV System thread a few years ago that Skilz and I posted in quite a bit, lol.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Wednesday, March 04, 2009 9:20 PM

Thursday, March 05, 2009 11:41 AM
Alright, here are pictures. Not much to see since everything is hidden behind the manifold besides what you see here. My setup is just like the turbo setup drawing minus the hose to the turbo intake.

Line coming from the oil\air seperator, to the small catch can, to the check valve. The check valve is shown here but is now tucked down under the TB and attaches to the hose that goes to the intake manfold on the back side.

Check valve hidden

306 TQ
Thursday, March 05, 2009 12:41 PM
lol what idiot told you to get a check valve that big? lol

That's massive!!! hahaha... damn I had no idea.

Oh well so long as it works. Now I have 2 of those bastards to hide in my engine bay... lol

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Thursday, March 05, 2009 12:50 PM
lmaooo Thats what I said when it arrrived haha

306 TQ
Thursday, March 05, 2009 3:44 PM
Got my valves, thanks Vince!

Thursday, March 05, 2009 7:56 PM
if you guys can, remember to take care of shipping on them for me please... paypal is Vink70_99@yahoo.com glad they are arriving, i was beginning to wonder.

and david. nice job hiding it. looks very nice and clean as usual. one of my favorite engine bays out there.

Thursday, March 05, 2009 10:25 PM
wow those things are huge!!!

Friday, March 06, 2009 5:51 AM
Thanks Vince.
Now that we're seeing 60 degrees in temp around here, I can finally get around to bleeding my brakes from when I did the non abs swap back in January lol.

306 TQ

Friday, March 06, 2009 6:16 AM
so when is the test run? and i vote you go out and get some pics real soon! cant wait to see it and hear it running. hit me up on aim sometime if you get a chance if you still use it. glad the new valve worked out. good luck with it.

Saturday, March 07, 2009 2:29 PM
gmanz24 wrote:wow those things are huge!!!

That's what she said...

Saturday, March 07, 2009 2:42 PM
if you get them, please pay shipping to me...

Saturday, March 07, 2009 5:08 PM
Vincent Morris wrote:if you get them, please pay shipping to me...

NEVER!!!!!

money sent lol

Saturday, March 07, 2009 5:11 PM
yeah, i got it

Saturday, March 07, 2009 7:19 PM
SpeedRacerZ wrote:

Kinda overkill though. The "Air/Oil Separator" on the block of the LD9 works like most catch cans do, however it has a direct drain to the block. The hole goal here is to keep "Pressurized" air from entering the A/O Separator and block via the vacuum port. 2 ways to do this. One, like Brandon's pic. Drill/tap a 1/4" nipple into the A/O separator and run it to the manifold, with a check valve inline (allows vacuum in, keeps boost out) and block off the stock port in the head..... OR Replace the A/O separator completely and run ONE Catch can. The Vent on the timing chain is just like the vent found on the Valve cover of the 2200, or the B16, or a SBC. All those run a replaceable PCV Valve, and you can get inline ones from Auto stores. Run a hose from the Timing chain housing to the catch can, and the other line from the catch can to the intake on the turbo (no check valve needed). MOST good catch cans have a "Air/Oil Separator" built into the top of the catch can.

The "Major" outlet for the A/O Separator is the tube going to the intake track, not the port in the head itself. The OEM air intake system is restrictive, and under load the vacuum in the intake is what draws the fumes from the crank case into the intake to be burned. At idle, the intake track vacuum is low, thats where the ports in the manifold come into play. If you look at the OEM 2.4 gasket, you will see it gets vacuum from all 4 runners, not just cylinder 3.

The A/O separator and a Catch can will catch MOST of the oil vapor, and keep it out of the intake track, while allowing the crank case to vent properly.

Oil leaks and blown seals are usally a sign of a RESTRICTED PCV system....... Simply having a crimped hose between the Timing chain vent and the A/O Separator can cause that. For those that want to run a catch can, bypass the oem A/O separator all together (make a block off plate), and plumb the 2 large hoses like OEM (Timing chain housing to the Catch Can, Catch Can to the intake pipe "pre turbo"). For many, just venting the vent to atmosphere is all that is needed (if you dont care about emissions..... and having your oil get dirty faster)

I seem to remember a PCV System thread a few years ago that Skilz and I posted in quite a bit, lol.

Ahh...Brian, you had to do it didn't you. I was having fun watching people put check valve nozzles where they don't matter and putting in two catch cans...LOL. All it takes is to look at the A/O seperator and notice that all the chambers are connected.....but I've been trying to tell these guys that since this whole thing started. I did what your #2 idea was. All I have is one tube from the timing chain to a catch can and everything else is blocked off. No more gunky intake tract or anything. I also tried saying that the tube from the intake tract was obviously the vent since that is the only cause of the oil buildup but nobody seems to think about that. My catch can just vents at the atmosphere and for my separator I used steel wool packed inside the canister...works VERY well, and cost like $15.00 total.

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous
Saturday, March 07, 2009 9:19 PM
Thanks Josh..... I was starting to think I was the only one that could see my posts!

Sunday, March 08, 2009 9:18 AM
Josh and Brian are correct....I have been doing some research myself, since I plan on possibly going turbo in the future.
For the Eco guys, correct me if I'm wrong, but all we need is a simple catch can. One end connected to the PVC nipple from from the valve cover and the other end connected to the intake track.

Check out this link Professor J posted a while back. He did this on his charger set-up, but should provided the same effect for a turbo car or n/a car
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=40&i=135116&t=123208&p=1

Sunday, March 08, 2009 7:31 PM
Ya all do know that 5In\HG in a crank case is GOOD, and all them dumb a$$ "breathers" are hurting you.

Do it like Brian's second picture.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Sunday, March 08, 2009 7:40 PM
I'm personally trying to use what GM designed but improve on it a bit rather than change it up fully.

I think the biggest deal is that the stock LD9 and Ecotec manifolds boost the crank case.

I was toying originally with putting the inlet tube back into the intake pipe but decided to try the breather first since I wanted to see what kind of oil gets to it before I let it run back into the turbo.

Now, while you could eliminate the hole in the head and that entire red section, you would be eliminating the idle/low rpm coasting part of the system relying only on the inlet/vent... I also decided against this after some research.

Joshua, that was my point originally, the port to the head is still the outlet under idle and low rpm cruising, which I personally don't want to eliminate. I've had that hole blocked for 3 years now and it's caused nothing but issues PCV-wise (as have a few other people who have noticed similar issues). As my diagram shows the 2 ends connect with a drain-back to the block.

Feel free to re-draw a diagram to show everybody your own concept I'm sure it will be appreciated to have multiple scenarios that people could run. I know that when I was researching this I only came upon one post where Brian and Jeremy touched on it briefly but I didn't like shutting the line to the manifold when I entered low-speed/low throttle boosting scenarios.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-

Sunday, March 08, 2009 7:57 PM
It still sees Vac, Look at The PCV system of early Quads....

Its easier to pull from the PCV\Crank case then it is through a air filter.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Monday, March 09, 2009 9:56 AM
My PCV system for 3 years has been:

Hole in the head blocked off

Stock Air oil separator to a catch can to my turbo intake. (As suggested a few posts up)

... nothing but problems.

I'm adding in the red area to help the system out. If you think it's overkill that's more than fine. But I ran it the "suggested" way and I've done nothing but puke oil for 3 years. Royal purple got expensive! lol

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Monday, March 09, 2009 9:32 PM
what are you guys going to use as a barb for the pre-turbo inlet? I don't have a local welder that can weld this cheap aluminum intake pipe without destroying it.

Tuesday, March 10, 2009 8:32 AM
So wat about us eco guys that can't afford a new manifold? I was under the impression that pj is still trying to figure something out for us eco guys and vincent said we needed an aftermarket manifold to tap, are us poor ppl sol?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search