Changing M45 supercharger pulley - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Changing M45 supercharger pulley
Saturday, July 30, 2011 12:39 AM
How the hell do you do it? Went to use a pulley puller which you screw into the end of the shaft but there is no thread or anything. Just this little rediculous hole. Is that a cover that just has me confused or is there a specific tool you need to use? I did a search and came up with nothing and anyone I ask locally that should know either doesnt know or took their car to a shop to have it done...

Re: Changing M45 supercharger pulley
Saturday, July 30, 2011 12:44 AM
u have to go old school on it, or take it to a shop craig. call up mike. he had his changed.

Saturday, July 30, 2011 6:43 AM
Mine has threads... Hell, I changed mine with the charger on the car....

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Saturday, July 30, 2011 8:25 AM
With Ryan can be done with the charger in the car. Advanced Auto Parts sells a Power Steering Pulley puler and installed for about $30. This will take it off and install the hub. Does not work on the M62, just the M45.

FU Tuning

Sunday, July 31, 2011 8:49 AM
Cant I just use any power steering pulley puller then?

Sunday, July 31, 2011 9:06 AM
Yes, thats what i used when doing stage 2 upgrades at the shop. Pulling it is the easy part putting the hub on is going to be much more of a challange at least it always was for me.
Sunday, July 31, 2011 11:23 PM
Im not grasping how a any kind of puller can install the hub when there is no thread on the shaft. Can someone explain or show a pic or something? Im seeing either a shop with a press, or flaming the crap out of the hub and sliding it on with high hopes...

Monday, August 01, 2011 4:15 AM
Every M45 I have worked on had threads in the shaft. They normally had a black cap covering them.

FU Tuning

Monday, August 01, 2011 9:23 PM
Mine has no threads either. This has been discussed before, some do some don't... From what I remember the way to install the new hub is to heat it in the oven then slide it on the shaft before it cools off. My new pulley has been in the box for 4 years >:o

Car is for sale.
Tuesday, August 02, 2011 5:08 AM
bluzr2 wrote:Mine has no threads either. This has been discussed before, some do some don't... From what I remember the way to install the new hub is to heat it in the oven then slide it on the shaft before it cools off. My new pulley has been in the box for 4 years >:o

Yeah I would never do that. If you can't get it on take it to a shop and have it pressed on.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 12:13 PM
I would just like to vent how @!#$ STUPID this is. There is no other way but to remove the supercharger, take ot to a shop, and reinstall it. Mother @!#$. Ive raken my car apart more than enough times.

I cant do it on the car? I assume not since my snout has no threads. Cant just take the snout off and take that to a shop? @!#$ car.

Thursday, November 24, 2011 2:43 AM
(deep breath)

A power steering pump pulley puller WILL WORK. Both of my MP45's DID NOT HAVE THREADS IN THE CHARGER Drive Shaft.

Warm the new pulley hub up and it slips on. It is an easy .5 hr job at the most.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Thursday, November 24, 2011 8:21 AM
How do you heat it? Torch? Oven? What degrees and how long? Im just having a hard time thinking getting this thing hot enough it will slip on to the shaft.

Thursday, November 24, 2011 8:52 AM
Not Goolging for you man.

Another way is to take the blower off and use a real press once the snout is off, also allowing you to change the oil of the blower. (better bet from the sounds of it.)

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Thursday, November 24, 2011 4:45 PM
Craig use a PS pulley puller to pull the old pulley off. Get a hub, preheat your over to 400 or 450 degrees. insert hub into oven for 30-35 minutes, and then slide hub over the shaft. is should work in theory. when we have to install press fit shafts into parts at work, we heat the part to 450 for 30 minutes and it expands enough for the shaft to slide right through. if you really wanna make sure, put the shaft in the freezer for 5-6 hours before you install hub....hot hub on cold shaft should in slide right together. if you wanna set up a time, my dad is off all weekend and has a 5 ton hydrolic press in his garge.

Thursday, December 01, 2011 7:27 PM
Thank f**king goodness I never have to do this again. Ah yes, cant take the snout off. Alternator is in the way. Ah, cant take alternator off, supercharger is in the way! That answered that for me.

Got a pulley puller and showed no mercy. BAM. Snapped lose, of she came. Heated the hub as much as I could in the oven. Ran it back out to the car, grabbed a mallet, showed no mercy! It was hard to get that thing on straight but finally got it. Holy s**t.

Friday, December 02, 2011 5:18 AM
We broke 2 of those pulley pullers you use to get one off. Thats when we got the PS puller/installer.That was a dream.

FU Tuning

Friday, December 02, 2011 6:11 AM
Craig wrote:Thank f**king goodness I never have to do this again. Ah yes, cant take the snout off. Alternator is in the way. Ah, cant take alternator off, supercharger is in the way! That answered that for me.

Got a pulley puller and showed no mercy. BAM. Snapped lose, of she came. Heated the hub as much as I could in the oven. Ran it back out to the car, grabbed a mallet, showed no mercy! It was hard to get that thing on straight but finally got it. Holy s**t.
I hope your not serious...... If you are, I see a rebuild in the near future......

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Friday, December 02, 2011 7:10 AM
QWK LN2 (P&P Tuning) wrote:
Craig wrote:Thank f**king goodness I never have to do this again. Ah yes, cant take the snout off. Alternator is in the way. Ah, cant take alternator off, supercharger is in the way! That answered that for me.

I hope your not serious...... If you are, I see a rebuild in the near future......

Its a mallet, not a hammer. And its hitting the hub. If there is any damage its to the hub. My first attempt was not promising and scared me. So I pulled the hub back off. No damage on the snout whatsoever, and the hub had no damage. So, I did it again. Doing it wrong or not, its done, and if things break then Ill have to deal with it.

Friday, December 02, 2011 7:29 AM
Craig wrote:Its a mallet, not a hammer. And its hitting the hub. If there is any damage its to the hub.

There are needle bearings in the supercharger that can be damaged from impacts to the hub/shaft in the manner you had to use to beat the hub on.

This is why everyone said SLIDE ON or PRESS ON. Not beat on.

When I did mine I torched the hub until it had a slight glow to it, then slid it on smoothly with pliers. No banging whatsoever.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Friday, December 02, 2011 7:37 AM
Craig wrote:
QWK LN2 (P&P Tuning) wrote:

Its a mallet, not a hammer. And its hitting the hub. If there is any damage its to the hub. My first attempt was not promising and scared me. So I pulled the hub back off. No damage on the snout whatsoever, and the hub had no damage. So, I did it again. Doing it wrong or not, its done, and if things break then Ill have to deal with it.
The damage occurs internally.... Ususally its the front drive and bearings.....

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Friday, December 02, 2011 9:52 AM
Well I asked how hot. No one gave me an answer. No one said "torch" it. I baked this thing as much as I could and it barely did anything. There was no sliding. And I googled. No answers. I asked. No answers. I did what I did. It starts and runs. When it heats up running it will seal pretty good. What do you want me to say? What do you want me to do? All I can say is sorry pops, wont do that again. But where it stands, nothing is broken. I understand something internal may break later because of this, as long as you understand it may not.

Thursday, December 29, 2011 11:10 AM
I miss working at the parts store....

I dont need the powersteering puller to do that, or I will use a sledge hammer... who needs a ball joint press.... lol

They are pretty happy when they come back needing a pump or control arm... lol

I will never forget the guy that pressed his gm powersteering pully on backwards with a hammer and couldn't remove it... lol

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search