What can I do to make my 1989 Pontiac sunbird gt turbo faster - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What can I do to make my 1989 Pontiac sunbird gt turbo faster
Wednesday, April 11, 2012 11:35 PM
Just give me some ideas guys and what's an intercooler

Re: What can I do to make my 1989 Pontiac sunbird gt turbo faster
Thursday, April 12, 2012 5:29 AM

Thursday, April 12, 2012 11:41 AM
Find the vaccuum line that goes to the wastegate on the turbo, and remove it.

Should pull strong....well for a bit anyways...

Thursday, April 12, 2012 12:06 PM
lol really .............
this is why this forum should monitor its users
Thursday, April 12, 2012 6:07 PM
Wow well first u step away from the vehicle

*****BLAME IT ON THE ALCOHOL*****
Thursday, April 12, 2012 7:36 PM
i dont know much about cars i had no intrest until i got my first one four months ago and im just trying to fix up my car im 19 and im trying to learn
Thursday, April 12, 2012 7:41 PM
also this car has givin me alot of headaches its in imaculate condition and its only got 50000 miles but ive had to replace the radiator fuel pump and sending unit and tommorow im replacing the timing belt and water pump
Thursday, April 12, 2012 7:41 PM
Sometimes if I think I have a dumb question I first use this site called google before posting anything. There is also a search bar on this site. If one were to type in intercooler, I'm willing to bet something will come up. LOL oh my...

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Thursday, April 12, 2012 7:56 PM
and i know what an intercooler is now an ive been serching google for 3 month thats how i found this site and how do you post a pic on here lol it wont let me do it
Thursday, April 12, 2012 8:14 PM
Yeah i read and read and read and still had questions, but if you search find half ur answer or still got a question on wut u read ask and state u did search. this site is forgiving but ask the way u just did and you will get smartass answers so always searh first

*****BLAME IT ON THE ALCOHOL*****
Thursday, April 12, 2012 8:35 PM
Jon Pruitt wrote:and i know what an intercooler is now an ive been serching google for 3 month thats how i found this site and how do you post a pic on here lol it wont let me do it

You have to upload it to photobucket or something first then copy the img code thing over.
Also if you are having problems with the car, maybe it is better to just tough it out and save up for something better? how fast do you want to go too? 150-200hp daily driver or 500hp drag car? If you decide that the car is worth fixing and putting money into, then maybe look at doing maintenance first, oil change, tune up, etc, make sure everything is running good, then after that, look at doing some small mods, sounds like you are still learning so maybe look at and intake or something. Also, if you plan on modding the car and making it faster, also look at your tires, brakes and suspension. If your tires are bald, brakes metal on metal and struts blown, then these should be looked at before driving normal, nevermind faster....

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Thursday, April 12, 2012 10:00 PM
20120412_2244481.jpg
Thursday, April 12, 2012 10:04 PM

Thursday, April 12, 2012 11:13 PM
Dude your car is old as @!#$, drive it nice save some money and get a older Z28 if you want to go fast. Or get a sport bike the fastest $3,000 you will every spend.

-I drive my car to work-
Friday, April 13, 2012 4:36 AM
durandall05 wrote:Dude your car is old as @!#$, drive it nice save some money and get a older Z28 if you want to go fast. Or get a sport bike the fastest $3,000 you will every spend.
talking about hate... sounds like you're the one hating now....

Friday, April 13, 2012 9:50 AM
Don'rt listen to everybody that's trying to be a jerk to you. The 2.0 SOHC turbo engine is the mosgt powerful factory engine ever installed in a J-body. As someone above said, if you want to make more power start with the basics, tune-up, ect. I'll add another suggestion. Replace the injectors. They might not be bad, but fueling is much more critical on a turbocharged engine, and I wouldn't trust 20+ year old injectors anyway.

A little known fact is that these old SOHC engines have been evolving and are a common lineage with the Daewoo (think Aveo) D-TEC engines, sharing alot of the same architecture. It used to be fairly common to swap Sunbird GT parts and engines into the 90's Daewoo cars. So maybe try searching a Daewoo forum for more info than can be found here, because face it, there is very little info on your engine here and it is sort of an odd ball

Since your car is an old OBD-1 computer, it has a removable EPROM (Computer chip) and could possibly be flashed. And old-school hot-rod tricks for old turbo cars could work easily as well, such as manual boost controllers, adjustable fuel pressure regulators, ect.

If you want to REALLY dig into this engine, doing some headwork and letting it breathe really wakes them up. And the SOHC head tends to float valve springs, so upgrading these is a must for more serious power.

The stock turbo for these is a Garrett T25. A T28 flows more air per pound of boost and is a fairly easy addition. The bottom ends of these engines can hold at least 250 WHP stock, but the head and turbo are the limiting factors. If you do any modifications, make sure your engine is solid and in good working order, and make sure you add an intercooler before you start upgrading.

Good luck.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Friday, April 13, 2012 10:41 AM
thanks man and ive replaced alot of stuff on it already and plan on building it up little by little like next week im getting new rims brakes tires drums calipers rotors ,then ill get new shocks and struts im thinking about lowering it a bit but i still want it to ride smooth
Friday, April 13, 2012 10:43 AM
and also i though mine was dohc not sohc
Tuesday, April 17, 2012 4:53 PM
I also have access to a spare motor with turbo partial harness and partial subframe if you want one... PM me...

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search