supercharging 2002 auto ecotec? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
supercharging 2002 auto ecotec?
Monday, January 14, 2013 6:01 PM
can a m62 be put on a auto ecotec? i have also read that i will need to use 03+ fuel rails? what is the reasoning behind that? thanks guys

Re: supercharging 2002 auto ecotec?
Monday, January 14, 2013 6:18 PM
There is a local craigslist ad for a complete kit for 425.00 here. May have to run injector spacers, some injectors are different lengths.

Monday, January 14, 2013 6:23 PM
It will bolt on just fine on a auto.

With a 02 you do not have to use the spacers for the injectors Jason mentioned unless you want to run the 03 fuel rail. But the 02 rail makes it 100% bolt on. You do not have to use the 03 rail....it just looks nicer.
Wednesday, January 16, 2013 4:03 AM
What injectors do you think would be best? I want my car to be around 230whp, I plan to buy comp stage 2 cams but the only valve springs I can find are supertech 75lb and I read on here that 78lb are what I will need. Pulley wise I'm thinking either a 3.0 or 2.9.
Wednesday, January 16, 2013 4:56 AM
Depends...whats your tuning plan?
Wednesday, January 16, 2013 7:59 AM
There is a local speed shop here that has hptuners and says he can it spot on. Plus he said he has tuned one in the past.
Wednesday, January 16, 2013 4:44 PM
Then go with whatever pulley you want.

Keep in mind you should intercool it when you put the kit on. I would not drop a pulley size at all if you dont plan on intercooling it.

But you really should. Its the best mod ive done to date

So..

Stck pulley>>>>non intercooled
3.0-2.8 pulley intercooled.
Wednesday, January 16, 2013 4:45 PM
As for injectors 60's will work...might be a bit large.
Thursday, January 17, 2013 3:10 AM
I will either run a cobra h/e or one from zzp. Do you think I will be able to get 230whp through a auto?? That's the big question
Thursday, January 17, 2013 4:59 AM
Should be able to but that will be the upper limit of what you can get without being built i think.
Friday, January 18, 2013 7:38 PM
hey will ford brown tops be good for what my goals are for my car? im getting all my supercharger stuff monday here locally =D also what wideband is everybody using and having good luck with?

Saturday, January 19, 2013 9:15 AM
I personally have a Innovate but the AEM Uego is very popular
Saturday, January 19, 2013 9:07 PM
If you're using brown tops you'll need to splice the correct injector pigtails or buy an injector harness from zzp. You'll also need injector spacers that you can get from Jason Norwood. As for widebands, I have the aem and have had zero problems. Seems like either that or the innovative are the best bets.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, January 21, 2013 1:17 PM
What size is the factory Gmpp pulley size? I bought a car that has a supercharger kit but it has a 2.9 pulley. I think I want the factory size and just get a gm flash for right now. My stock injectors will be okay with that right?
Monday, January 21, 2013 4:32 PM
No...you will not be able to use stock injectors. The cheapest option is to use green tops from a cobalt ss/sc which are 36/lb. Since you have a 02 they will fit into the rail and head perfectly.

Stock pulley I believe is 3.4
Monday, January 21, 2013 4:51 PM
i think i got a pretty good deal on the car, its a 2003 cavalier base 5 speed. it has a complete m62 kit with a big intercooler up front. turbo tech racing motor mounts, tseudo header with full 2.5 exhaust, comp stage 2 cams, nice 18 inch rims with good tires, cheap ebay springs with new oem struts, front and rear strut bars, a pillar gauge with auto meter boost gauge. b&m short throw shifter, vis carbonfiber hood painted to match the car. i think im just going to pull the parts i want off and take the rest to the scrap yard. it starts but it idles HORRIBLE and it has a ton of black smoke coming out the exhaust and there is a filter on the valve cover and smoke is coming out of it for some reason? i dont think its worth putting time into trying to fix it because it has had like 6 owners in the last year in a half and each one has tried to rig stuff together to make it run right. i plan to put the s/c kit on my 02 and part out the rest of the good parts on here so if you want anything i mentioned pm me. ill post pictures when i get a chance in the next few days..
Monday, January 21, 2013 4:52 PM
and i paid $800 dollars for it
Monday, January 21, 2013 6:58 PM
Cant complain on that....great deal!
Tuesday, January 22, 2013 11:18 AM
How long does it take to install the kit? I have basic mechanic skills and so does my friend that will be helping me but neither of us have messed with a supercharger before, what can I expect to run into?
Tuesday, January 22, 2013 4:52 PM
Leave a weekend to do it. Thats being very generous but allows for things like broken studs or whatever may happen.

Its very straight forward and can be done in a day but I always allow myself the extra time.

If your doing the intercooler as well itll probably take up a good half day as well. so 2 days should have it all in.
Tuesday, January 22, 2013 5:05 PM
I made my decesion on my setup finally. I'm going to run a 3.1 pulley, zzp s3 heat exchanger, ford green tops with zzp injector harness and some of Jason norwoods spacers and the gm reflash. I think it will suit my needs for the time being

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 6:45 PM
You dont need the spacers since your a 02, unless you want to run the 03 - up fuel rail. You dont need the harness either.

Just get some cobalt ss/sc injectors (they are usually like $50 shipped) and plop them into your fuel rail with the reflash and be done.
Wednesday, January 23, 2013 3:24 PM
why is everyone scared to let a speed shop tune their cars? i know if i go the gm-reflash route it will not be the best but it should be reliable right? the shop i have in mind has a dyno and has a good name around here for tuning LS engines.. i dont want my car leaving with a blown motor or a extremly bad tune though. witch way do you think i should go? the dyno tune will cost $550 and i might be able to get the re-flash for free depending if my buddy can find the re-flash program at the chevy dealership he works at. thoughts?
Wednesday, January 23, 2013 4:57 PM
Tuning LS engines and our engines are very different beasts.

Our PCM has a reputation for being hard to get a good tune on if your not experienced with them. Ive seen alot of people post up their tune and its full of issues even with reputable tuners. Usually those people get left with a bunk tune or a car thats not drivable, or barely. Until they find a tuner that has experience with our cars and gets a good tune.

I dont know where you are but if your on the east coast id look to get a tune from one of our reputable tuners. There are a few and they know whats up.

Hp tuners is the best for power an a better all around tune since its tuned for your vehicle specifically.

The nice thing about the GM flash which is a vague canned tune is its reliable, and you dont have to worry about down time....and its cheap so it gets you back on the road.
Wednesday, January 23, 2013 6:52 PM
I'm in oklahoma, I have read there is a guy in St. Louis that is good I think it was p&p tuning?
I guess the reflash will have to work for now..
I ordered my zzp s3 heat exchanger and 3.1 pulley today. Still need to find lsj injectors and new gaskets for the install. Also I'm thinking about using the phenolic spacer for the manifold to head and charger to manifold
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search