Hey guys looking for some advice. - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Hey guys looking for some advice.
Friday, February 01, 2013 2:41 PM
Hey guys I am trying to finally get my motor built for boost and I was just wondering how I should go about doing the head, I have a built block ready to go in. I have just lost all my contacts on here because its been awhile. See what happened with my car is that the exhaust manifold studs broke off into the head. so I have to pull the head to get those drilled out anyways. so I dont want to waste my time pulling the head without pulling the motor. I already have arp studs, turbo cams and a block with forged rods and pistons ready to go. I just dont know what I should do about the head. Should I upgrade the valves and springs? Should I find a patriot head? I just would like to know what would be my best option financially. I would just like the head to be able to handle as much boost as the block can.

Lemme know if you have any suggestions.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2898349

Re: Hey guys looking for some advice.
Friday, February 01, 2013 3:08 PM
Id get Ammfab to do a nice port on a LSJ head. Cheaper then patriot for sure. Then use your cams with some supertech 78/lb springs and should be good.
Friday, February 01, 2013 5:25 PM
I plan on having M2Race port a LSJ head and then run GMR .5mm oversized valves, supertech valvesprings, and good set of cams.

Friday, February 01, 2013 5:54 PM
Lsj head if you have the funds run a ported lsj with super tech valve springs

RIP Cpl Derek Kerns And Cpl Robby Reyes
24th MEU VMM-261 (REIN) V22 Crewchiefs
11 April 2012 Morocco (African Lion)
Friday, February 01, 2013 5:54 PM
I forgot you can also contact euthanasia off css.net. He does good work for a very fair price.
Friday, February 01, 2013 10:39 PM
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:I plan on having M2Race port a LSJ head and then run GMR .5mm oversized valves, supertech valvesprings, and good set of cams.

I went this route and it was the best decision I could have made!

Saturday, February 02, 2013 6:07 AM
i went with a hand ported head that picked up 24 CFM on the intake and 45 CFM on the exhaust and cant wait to see what power i get on it

Saturday, February 02, 2013 8:35 PM
Well the thing is I already have cams for the L61 Head. Would i have to change turbo manifolds if i switched to a LSJ head?

Sunday, February 03, 2013 6:01 AM
Too bad your so far away I could drill the bolts out without removing the head. Would save you money lol.

Sunday, February 03, 2013 7:00 AM
slick02eco wrote:Well the thing is I already have cams for the L61 Head. Would i have to change turbo manifolds if i switched to a LSJ head?

Nope..the manifold and cams you have will fit just fine
Monday, February 04, 2013 10:46 AM
Everything fits just fine. you just have to block off an oil passage if you use the LSJ head with the L61 cams, as well as make a block off plate where the CPS would be. Myself and a few others have done it and it runs fine.

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 1:33 AM
how much do lsj heads run?

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 2:08 AM
The head itself or to have it CNC machined, hole plugged, and all that jazz done? My head was $1400 for the plug, machine work, CNC port and polish, valve job, bronze valve guides, and shipping I think. I looked at my invoice.

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 5:36 AM
Just a heads up...A hand port is only about $5-600 with about $250 for the head
Tuesday, February 05, 2013 7:12 AM
Philly D wrote:Just a heads up...A hand port is only about $5-600 with about $250 for the head

And done by the right place will be all you really need unless you're breaking records.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, February 05, 2013 10:59 AM
I could sell my spare head of you are interested pm me its bare by I could send stock cams with it

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 11:09 AM
Y3llowCav wrote:
Philly D wrote:Just a heads up...A hand port is only about $5-600 with about $250 for the head

And done by the right place will be all you really need unless you're breaking records.

Or if you want the best possible flow on the entire Ecotec market...

Thursday, February 07, 2013 4:39 AM
For half the price my head flows just a few cfm under yours

Thursday, February 07, 2013 1:52 PM
That could be but I wanted the BEST possible flow. I could have gladly assembled it myself, as well as drill and tap the plug for the L61 cams but it was only like $50 to have him do it and deal with the headaches of keepers and retainers and fighting springs. Knowing his reputation it was worth it. His shop does all the work on 6-8 world record holders currently and it was worth every penny to have him do it. Even while doing my head he was cutting 3-4 other LSJ heads.

what I paid includes fully CNC ported intake and exhaust ports, CNC chamber, diamond honed valve guides, precision SERDI valvejob and skim the deck surface. Disassembly and cleaning, I also paid for assembly.

Did you happen to get a flow chart with yours? If so I would like to see it if you dont mind.

By all means anyone with a hand grinder can do it in their garage in a few days but I wanted best flow, consistency, warranty, and performance. There are more options out there than M2, he is just the best in my books.

Thursday, February 07, 2013 5:27 PM
mine chart is not a print off like m2race mine is number plot at each lift point ill input the numbers tomorrow i would have had m2race do mine but i figured i would give my local guy a shot if i could go back and do it again i would go with the M2Race head as the local guy took forever which is another reason why mine was a lil cheaper he gave a discount i paid him 300 and the machine shop 300 for their services.

Friday, February 08, 2013 4:55 PM
MillerBilt Racing wrote:mine chart is not a print off like m2race mine is number plot at each lift point ill input the numbers tomorrow i would have had m2race do mine but i figured i would give my local guy a shot if i could go back and do it again i would go with the M2Race head as the local guy took forever which is another reason why mine was a lil cheaper he gave a discount i paid him 300 and the machine shop 300 for their services.

yeah at that price I cant blame you. I don't have anyone local that I could trust to do something like he has. Its all race proven and holds its weight by his reputation.

Friday, February 08, 2013 6:18 PM
Without a doubt Vince like I said if I were to redo it I would of went m2race

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search