Look! Air-air intercooler setup for an M62! - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Look! Air-air intercooler setup for an M62!
Monday, December 16, 2013 7:20 AM
This is an lsj intake from a friend of mine who has an lsj cobalt. Some of you will say this is idiotic and/or that it won't work and will cause boost lag. I don't have the dyno numbers off hand but I can tell you that it worked FLAWLESSLY and that IAT's after 3 back to back pulls in hot summer weather went up by only a few degrees. Here are the pictures:

Bonus pic, 4 port meth injection:

Discuss...

"In Oldskool we trust"

Re: Look! Air-air intercooler setup for an M62!
Monday, December 16, 2013 7:36 AM
I have witnessed this done on a Jackson supercharged miata. He did have a little lag, but it ran a lot cooler.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, December 16, 2013 7:49 AM
I noticed the dirty before I noticed the setup..... the inner detailer prevails!!!

Looks like it would work out. If it helps longevity, id take a little lag first...

Monday, December 16, 2013 8:05 AM
Whats directing the air to go through the intercooler? Like is it literally a gutted intake manifold with a couple tubes out the bottom?
Monday, December 16, 2013 8:57 AM
If you look at an R53 mini cooper, it's done sort of the same way from stock. His car was tvs charged so that may have helped but on the dyno graph there didn't seem to be much hesitation at all, if any. But like said, even if there was a slight hesitation it's still worth it to eliminate the heat soak of the stock water/air setup.

Philly D wrote:Whats directing the air to go through the intercooler? Like is it literally a gutted intake manifold with a couple tubes out the bottom?

I really suck at drawing pictures so I'll try to describe it. There is a divider in the middle of the lsj intake that is oriented from side-to-side, meaning one end closest to cylinder 1 and one end closest to cylinder 4. The air moves in kind of a U shape in that it's pushed down one side over the laminova cores and then back up the other side that goes to the runners. So cutting the bottom of the U off and welding a cap on each end effectively seals off both sides. Then add a port to each side and you have a supercharger outlet and a motor/runner inlet.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, December 16, 2013 9:02 AM
What were his iat2's?
Monday, December 16, 2013 9:13 AM
(In *F) On a 90 degree day IAT1 was 97 and IAT2 was 107. Then with meth it went down to 88. That was on the 3rd full run on the dyno.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, December 16, 2013 9:19 AM
Just for comparison, here's a lotus motor:

And an R53 Mini Cooper(m45):

So really it's not thinking too far out of the box. It's being done in factory application.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, December 16, 2013 2:11 PM
ef the air to air i want that direct port meth setup!! LOL

RIP silver car. You will be missed.
Tuesday, December 17, 2013 4:33 AM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:ef the air to air i want that direct port meth setup!! LOL

Don't we all? lol

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, December 17, 2013 10:37 AM
lol apparently not. i thought you gave up on god's gift to boost?

RIP silver car. You will be missed.

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 10:39 AM
Made more HP with less of it

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, December 17, 2013 11:09 AM
But youd make more power with more of it
Tuesday, December 17, 2013 11:14 AM
Philly D wrote:But youd make more power with more of it

Definitely true, I just like messing with Brad.

Whenever I have the motor out or intake manifold off I plan to tap it almost exactly how that one is. I'll keep the nozzle before the SC too, making it a 5 gal/hr setup. I just feel that it doesn't spray very well coming from where it is now and I don't trust it. I'll buy a new pump to be sure the system is in good working order and tap each runner for a 1 gal/hr nozzle.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, December 20, 2013 4:39 AM
I'm a big fan! If i had the patience and available downtime back when the sunfire was my DD, I'd have loved to go for something like this. You never ever have to worry about your heat exchanger system not being primed, or your IC pump dying. In addition, those IAT number speak for themselves. Air changes temperature faster than water - so once you heat up all the water in your heat exchanger system, recovery of course takes longer. With air to air, it's just a matter of having the appropriately sized FMIC, and for the CFM an M62 flows, it isn't necessarily that huge. I bet the car is a lot of fun to drive, and most importantly, consistently fun to drive.
Friday, December 20, 2013 4:40 AM
Also, sweet meth set up!
Friday, December 20, 2013 7:22 AM
oldskool wrote:I'm a big fan! If i had the patience and available downtime back when the sunfire was my DD, I'd have loved to go for something like this. You never ever have to worry about your heat exchanger system not being primed, or your IC pump dying. In addition, those IAT number speak for themselves. Air changes temperature faster than water - so once you heat up all the water in your heat exchanger system, recovery of course takes longer. With air to air, it's just a matter of having the appropriately sized FMIC, and for the CFM an M62 flows, it isn't necessarily that huge. I bet the car is a lot of fun to drive, and most importantly, consistently fun to drive.

All of this. No coolant leaks, no 2 week bleeding process, no heat soak, dead nuts consistency. He's running a pretty small FMIC too. I forget the actual dimensions but it's smaller than a stock lnf iirc.

When talking about lag and why there really isn't any, it was explained to me like this: It's not like there's no air at all in the plumbing after the sc when you're out of boost. So when it does hit boost, you're not waiting for the air coming out of the SC to get all the way through. Rather, it just pushes the air ahead of it that's already in the charge pipes into the motor. Make sense to me at least

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, December 20, 2013 7:32 AM
Is this guy on CSS?
Friday, December 20, 2013 7:41 AM
Philly D wrote:Is this guy on CSS?

He is but he doesn't post much. Although, he did recently start his epic build thread. I think his name there is Freakta?

EDIT: http://m.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=305182#post7226356

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Friday, December 20, 2013 9:12 AM

"In Oldskool we trust"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search