FEELER: new crank trigger design - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
FEELER: new crank trigger design
Sunday, January 19, 2014 10:43 AM
The big problem with the older trigger wheels is that they would lose their set timing anytime you had to remove the pulley. I came up with a way to mount the TW to the pulley so if you did need to remove the pulley the TW will keep its set timing. The crank pulley will need to be turned on a lathe a little bit for a proper fit. I have the design out for pricing now, and I wanted feedback on interest. I need 10-12 to make this viable and keep cost down. 

Re: FEELER: new crank trigger design
Sunday, January 19, 2014 12:16 PM
I'm going to troll you until this happens

1 . Y3llowCav, Ryan P.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Sunday, January 19, 2014 1:14 PM

Me too!!

1. Y3llowCav, Ryan P.
2. Philly D, Phil D
Sunday, January 19, 2014 1:58 PM
I'm curious how will it mount?

FU Tuning

Sunday, January 19, 2014 2:08 PM
It mounts to the actual crank pulley. There are 3 bolt holes in the "spokes" of the pulley.

So we need to hit it with a lathe a bit to make a flat surface and bolt it on. My only concern is clearance for the sensor. I recall in a thread something about getting the trigger wheel and sensor to line up.
Sunday, January 19, 2014 5:08 PM
I dont have it front of me right now but I'm thinking it should within about 1/4" of the ridge on the pulley that keeps the belt on track. The bracket you choose will be a little shorter and more stable (it not a big difference is size) also the holes to bolt it on are slotted so you can advance or retard the timing for your needs.

Monday, January 20, 2014 5:48 AM
Listening.

Monday, January 20, 2014 7:27 AM
I approve of this greatness.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, January 22, 2014 7:48 PM
Got pictures of a new one all machined already? And what kinda price we talking on these?

FuzzMASTA9
Thursday, January 23, 2014 12:47 PM
I can do these for $85 per unit shipped in the US if we get 10 or more, less than that it goes to $90 per unit shipped.
These are going to be cut with a low taper water-jet, Hot Rolled Steel 1045, 0.25 inches thick. This does not include any painting or powder coating. I want to get them powder coated but I don't have a local service for that (boo!)

Lets get the number of people rolling in so we can all save some $$$

I don't have a metal prototype to show you, just some pictures of my work in progress. there were a few small changes along the way. I added mounting holes for more flexibility.

Thursday, January 23, 2014 6:55 PM
Yea looks good, interested in one depending on when planning to get them made and shipped out

FuzzMASTA9

Friday, January 24, 2014 4:39 AM
The only obstacle I have to get over, to be in on these, is the lathing of the crank pulley.

I don't have access to a Lathe, and finding a decent machinist around here is near impossible for custom small scale work. (<- That boggles my mind, seeing as its a small city here, with not much industrial work.)

So here's a couple questions....
Can you please explain in detail how to have it properly lathed down to fit correctly, in case I pull the trigger anyways, and go searching for a decent machinist and need details for them to reference.

Also Is there not something that can be re-designed to keep the lathing from being essential?
BTW, Not questioning the validity of the design, just wondering.

Friday, January 24, 2014 6:18 AM
This is a nice plan. I really like the thought process here.

Friday, January 24, 2014 6:42 AM
All you have to do is to face the pulley to make it flat enough to mount with a center bore a few thousandths under 3.25".

If anyone has trouble finding a machine shop to do the pulley for them PM me and we can work something out.

Friday, January 24, 2014 7:12 AM
I forgot to add the that I want to get this going as soon as I can get enough people on board to do this.

Friday, January 24, 2014 6:31 PM
I won't need one but chiming in here... What about doing a core charge on the pulley for those that can't machine them? Go to the yard, grab a few crank pullies, machine them down, charge them a core fee and send a pulley with the wheel mounted to it, turn theirs in to you, credit them back.

Saturday, January 25, 2014 6:40 AM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:I won't need one but chiming in here... What about doing a core charge on the pulley for those that can't machine them? Go to the yard, grab a few crank pullies, machine them down, charge them a core fee and send a pulley with the wheel mounted to it, turn theirs in to you, credit them back.

I wouldn't mind doing the lathe work for a small fee. Definitely less than a machine shop would charge. My only trouble would be sourcing enough pulleys. There is only one yard around me that I think would sell me the pulleys. They like to sell complete engines. I will make some inquiries next week.

Monday, January 27, 2014 10:29 AM
Right now it looks like I have 6 that say they want one and 2 maybes. That means we are close to getting enough people to make this happen. tell your friends and get them on board!

Monday, January 27, 2014 12:04 PM
What is the price with a core charge?

Monday, January 27, 2014 1:31 PM
There is a severe lack of yards in this area, and the cost I was quoted was unreasonable. They wanted more than what a new one from the local auto store would be ($62 + tax at AutoZone for example vs $60-65 at the yards for a used one of unknown mileage)

I think I have a couple of pulleys here, so thats a start. How does $25 for the work + a $25 core, cost of shipping comes out of the core. Or people could send one in and I could do it to that one. If people keep them coming I can get them done faster.

Saturday, February 01, 2014 9:42 PM
Has this been tested? Any issues?

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.

Monday, February 03, 2014 10:36 AM
Its basically a copy of the TCE wheels that were offered before. I can't see why it wouldn't be just fine.

Saturday, February 08, 2014 5:55 PM
My deepest apologies gentlemen, but I have to remove my name from the list. I was able to pick something up that will work without this new ring. Hopefully you're still able to get enough interest!

"In Oldskool we trust"
Sunday, February 23, 2014 6:20 PM
I will get in on this even though my current TW set up works. Id love to have a more stable one for when I pull build the 2nd LSJ and can have two functional motors with two TW set ups

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Tuesday, March 04, 2014 7:11 PM
I would be interested in one of these or even a older style like the one I have seen where it just goes off of the center bolt. I just need one asap so I can get this car running. Thanks
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search