Got a M62, need a few things, have a few Q's - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Got a M62, need a few things, have a few Q's
Sunday, February 09, 2014 6:02 AM
I picked up 99% of the kit for my cav from AL1A5, but have a few questions and am looking for guidance. Kit has a dualpass & zzp cooler.

I plan on running the gm reflash, due to lack of tuners in my area (CT). I will be running the T-map, correct? I found a good deal on the sensor and the harness. I'll be sending a spare ecu out to have flashed, or so is my plan.

Anyone run the GM flash on a 3.0/3.1 pulley? Thoughts? I read people seemed to think it ran well, maybe even less rich...

Fuel upgrades, what injectors for a 3.0/1 pulley? Preference on fuel pumps?

Re: Got a M62, need a few things, have a few Q's
Sunday, February 09, 2014 6:47 AM
Reflash with the smaller pulley does work. But you will probably be really pushing it with knock values. If you do plan on running the 3.1 pulley (and that's as small as id recommend), upgrade your fuel pump. I as most people have a Racetronix but Roofy made a how to for a Aeromotive pump as well.

On my car it made a huge difference in my afr's. But id also look at getting an adjustable afpr and bump the pressure up a slight bit.

If you are running the reflash you MUST use the 36/lb injectors. Cobalt ss/sc injectors are a cheap source. If doing a real tune then you can use larger.

I think there is a couple tuners in your area. Oldskool and PNP tuning. Both great options. It might be worth it to you to travel to them if you plan on going with the smaller pulleys.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, February 09, 2014 6:48 AM
Sunday, February 09, 2014 6:57 AM
If I were you I would definitely swap into a bigger fuel pump. I just installed the aeromotive in mine with no issues. Also picked up the Aeromotive AFPR so I could adjust the fuel pressure. You may be one of the cases to benefit from a meth setup as well.

Sunday, February 09, 2014 7:13 AM
He doesn't need a meth setup with the reflash.

If he gets a real tune then yes, it would be very beneficial.
Sunday, February 09, 2014 7:47 AM
Am I right in thinking the cobalt 36# injectors will be too small? I'm seeing 42# as the minimum for a 3.0 pulley, so I may look for those. I don't want to go crazy, so 3.1 will probably be safer.

Would a walbro 255 pump be enough? Or would it even fit? I have one left over from my 3400 swapped 2nd gen.

Sunday, February 09, 2014 8:08 AM
If your on a budget for fuel pump try the upgraded racetrinix harness with your stock pump. It will give the stock pump alternator voltage over heavier gauge wires than 12 over tiny wire. Might give you that little bit you need to run on a 3.1 safely.

Sunday, February 09, 2014 8:21 AM
Mark wrote:Am I right in thinking the cobalt 36# injectors will be too small? I'm seeing 42# as the minimum for a 3.0 pulley, so I may look for those. I don't want to go crazy, so 3.1 will probably be safer.

Would a walbro 255 pump be enough? Or would it even fit? I have one left over from my 3400 swapped 2nd gen.

On the reflash I would not recommend going below a 3.1 pulley. Even with that pulley on the reflash your playing with fire. You will have a fair bit of knock (detonation)

Now listen to this.

YOU HAVE TO USE 36l/b cobalt ss injectors with the REFLASH.

The tune is based around the injectors being used. So you cant just use whatever you want. It wont work with any other injector period.

Now if our going to get oldskool or another tuner to actually tune your car THEN you can use whatever injector you want because the tune is made for those injectors. But your tune i dependent on the injector being used.

For the fuel pump im not to sure on the Walbro 255. Im pretty sure that's basically what the Racetronix pump is but it has provisions so that you don't get fuel cut at 1/4 tank of gas. In the end you can can always run the setup with a stock pulley and pump to get it running and then at a later time drop th pulley size and put in a pump when money allows.
Sunday, February 09, 2014 9:58 AM
For what it's worth, I'm running 36lbs injectors on a 3.1 with the stock pump. Granted I'm not on the reflash though... If you're close enough to Oldskool is highly recommend talking to him about a tune

Sunday, February 09, 2014 11:16 AM
Philly D wrote:He doesn't need a meth setup with the reflash.

If he gets a real tune then yes, it would be very beneficial.

i was more so saying that if he wanted to pulley down he could use meth with it. Otherwise his best bet regardless is to get a custom tune.

Sunday, February 09, 2014 1:51 PM
It looks like he is way out in PA, I'm closer to RI and wouldn't want to go that far.

While I wanted a bit more boost, I don't want to sacrifice reliability that much. I'll keep it stock.

for the 36lbs injector, will stock supercharged Cobalt injectors be good to go with?

Sunday, February 09, 2014 2:32 PM
Yup those are the right injectors.

Best bet is to go onto CSS.net and get a set. Usually can get a set for $50-$60 shipped.

Sunday, February 09, 2014 3:17 PM
Philly D wrote:
Mark wrote:Am I right in thinking the cobalt 36# injectors will be too small? I'm seeing 42# as the minimum for a 3.0 pulley, so I may look for those. I don't want to go crazy, so 3.1 will probably be safer.

On the reflash I would not recommend going below a 3.1 pulley. Even with that pulley on the reflash your playing with fire. You will have a fair bit of knock (detonation)

Now listen to this.

YOU HAVE TO USE 36l/b cobalt ss injectors with the REFLASH.

The tune is based around the injectors being used. So you cant just use whatever you want. It wont work with any other injector period.

Now if our going to get oldskool or another tuner to actually tune your car THEN you can use whatever injector you want because the tune is made for those injectors. But your tune i dependent on the injector being used.

For the fuel pump im not to sure on the Walbro 255. Im pretty sure that's basically what the Racetronix pump is but it has provisions so that you don't get fuel cut at 1/4 tank of gas. In the end you can can always run the setup with a stock pulley and pump to get it running and then at a later time drop th pulley size and put in a pump when money allows.

Pretty much all of this. Where in CT are you? I have some friends in Providence that I hang with.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Sunday, February 09, 2014 3:50 PM
it would almost be worth the drive to oldskool dude, i'm gonna be trying to have him tune me soon, and EVERYONE says he is an awesome tuner....

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
Sunday, February 09, 2014 3:52 PM
It's not even a question, it's DEFINITELY worth it. I drive from mass at least twice a year for some tuning action with him.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Sunday, February 09, 2014 4:07 PM
and Y3llowcav knows his @!#$, him and 2 other guys got me threw my install... This is the key to all your questions!
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=40&i=190109&t=183438&p=1

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
Sunday, February 09, 2014 6:22 PM
I guess it is only half the trip I made to pick this thing up to have Oldskool tune....Ahhhhh decisions. All the searching and scouring I've done, he does get mentioned in like every thread!

Would still need to figure a way to get the car with s/c installed 200+ miles away. After reading through Y3llow's build thread, it is pretty tempting to upgrade to the 3.1 at least. Would hate to have to get on Meth though with a DD. Almost makes me go to my fallback V6 swap.

So after a day of reading, comparing and reading some more I'll be ordering a racetronix pump and harness, 36lbs injectors, and I'll most certainly grapple with the tuning question.

Sunday, February 09, 2014 6:30 PM
Id say before buying the injectors decide what your going to do for your tune.

If your going to get a real tune then buy some 60's for headroom. Might as well grab a 3.0 pulley as well.

You do not need meth to run any pulley. It does help alot but is not needed what so ever. If you drop below a 3.0 pulley it might be something to look into just because of the heat the supercharger adds, but again its not needed.

As for making it to Oldskool. Leave the stock injectors in, zip tie the bypass open and be careful. One crappy drive will be worth a good tune. Because it'll be alot more fun on the way home!
Sunday, February 09, 2014 6:39 PM
Philly D wrote:As for making it to Oldskool. Leave the stock injectors in, zip tie the bypass open and be careful. One crappy drive will be worth a good tune. Because it'll be alot more fun on the way home!

Exactly what I was going to say.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Sunday, February 09, 2014 7:09 PM
On a scale of 1 to "you'll surely blow it up" is zip tying the bypass open and driving 250 miles? Would this damage something?

Monday, February 10, 2014 5:30 AM
Mark wrote:On a scale of 1 to "you'll surely blow it up" is zip tying the bypass open and driving 250 miles? Would this damage something?

Essentially if you are zip tying the bypass open, you are not making boost. And if you can keep your foot out of it which should be pretty easy to do on the way to get a tune, and knowing all the hard work, time, and money into it.... just gotta have self control.

Monday, February 10, 2014 5:38 AM
Mark wrote:On a scale of 1 to "you'll surely blow it up" is zip tying the bypass open and driving 250 miles? Would this damage something?

2. Just don't beat on it and go WOT and you'll be fine.

"In Oldskool we trust"

Monday, February 10, 2014 6:07 AM
hopefully youll have a boost gauge and a arf gauge. Watch those while you drive.
Monday, February 10, 2014 6:23 AM
That's how I'm getting my car to Oldskool but I'm only 20 minutes from him!!

Monday, February 10, 2014 10:15 AM
I am running 36 lb injectors with the GM Reflash, a 3.0 inch pulley, a AFPR to bump fuel pressure, the racetronix pump, and a intercooler system. When I had it tweeked in before I started modifying again, I was only seeing knock with downshifts, and it was only 2-3 degrees. I was pushing 14 PSI out of the blower.

Currently I am running a stock motor with a ported and polished blower with the 3 inch pulley, stock TB and the 36 lb injectors. I have (as well as others) had to modify the PCV system to allow pressure to escape, but the car still runs great.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 4:28 AM
Evo, are you using a belt meant for the stock pulley, but using the oversize tensioner?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search