Got a M62, need a few things, have a few Q's - Page 2 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Got a M62, need a few things, have a few Q's
Tuesday, February 11, 2014 5:29 AM
I am.

Thursday, February 20, 2014 5:55 AM
Just a little update. I talked with a few folks about tuning and Oldskool won't be able to which was fine. I'm going to have SMG Motoring do it instead.

I've decided that going with a smaller pulley is more trouble than I want to deal with right now. I have a bunch of goodies on the way, including: LSJ 36# injectors, AEM Uego, a spare ECU I'm going to temporarily flash with GM crapflash, the t-map and harness.

I should have most of what I need in 2 weeks. I'm not sure when I'll be able to install because of weather, but hopefully by the end of March.

Thursday, February 20, 2014 6:24 AM
Definitely let me know when you go to smg man

"In Oldskool we trust"
Thursday, February 20, 2014 6:42 AM
Let me be the one to tell you (against everyone else) that the GM flash can be used to make these cars very quick and reliable. You won't break any records, only personal ones. I have been running it for 3+ years with a smaller pulley, and the 36 injectors. The trick is using the AFPR to adjust fuel to get it where you need/want it. It wont be as spot on as a HPT tune, but will still do the job pretty well. The AFPR is boost referenced, so it WILL work very well to accoplish a good amount of fueling. and the computer can adjust the timing from there. I only knock in hot weather, when shifting gears, and I power right through it. I have had ZERO engine issues with it.

A good intake, and a free flowing exhaust, and you will love this blower set up with a 3 inch pulley on the GM flash.

Thursday, February 20, 2014 7:38 AM
Out of curiosity EVO, what does your mpg look like? Have you Dyno'ed at all?

I'm also debating exhaust work. I don't want loud or drone, but do want high flow.

Thursday, February 20, 2014 9:49 AM
I have not dyno'd it. Ill tell ya it's fastest run is 13.9's at about 100. That was 2 years ago, the last time it saw a track, and it was in the state it sits now except i had a regular battery, not the light weight race ones. That was a 2.0 60 foot, then a missed shift into second, and i let it hit the limiter in 3rd at the end of the track. It probably has 13.2 to 13.4's in it when i drive it right. My MPG depends on how i drive. If i am on a highway cruise just nice and easy, its 28 or 29 mpg, if i tear up the streets, its 22-23 mpg.

Thursday, February 20, 2014 10:13 AM
It is tempting to get the smaller pulley, but in the end, I'm just looking for a little more power. I'll have to stick to playing with my 89 3400 swapped.

Does anyone have a recommendation on exhaust? how about a high flow cat and a stock muffler from like a GXP or something?

Thursday, February 20, 2014 12:20 PM
alteast 2.25 all the way back...for the most part the bigger the better

Thursday, February 20, 2014 12:29 PM
stock cobalt muffler sounds good
Thursday, February 20, 2014 1:20 PM
I got a Ported Cobalt SS Header With a Catted 3" Downpipe and a 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust With The Cobalt SS Resonator & Muffler. High Flow and sounds stock with no rasp I got a 3" Pulley and 42's with stock fuel pump and the 42's are almost maxed out with their duty cycle. Will be upgrading soon, but its been that setup for over a year with no issues with mpg and power.

2004 Ecotec, Completley Stock...For Now
Wednesday, March 05, 2014 5:03 PM
Anyone have a lead on some 36lb injectors? I'm getting burned by the guy on Css that I tried to buy some from. Can't seem to find anybody with them still for sale and would rather not spend 150+ on a new set.

Wednesday, March 05, 2014 5:50 PM
Contact mongorat off css. He should have a set or 10
Wednesday, March 05, 2014 6:43 PM
I still have my old ones laying around somewhere.

Thursday, March 06, 2014 6:57 AM
mongorat came though, turns out the header I got on ebay was from him too.

Thanks Philly

Thursday, March 06, 2014 7:27 AM
Mark wrote:mongorat came though, turns out the header I got on ebay was from him too.

Thanks Philly

Jeff is the man.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Thursday, March 06, 2014 12:46 PM
Got my kit from him

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
Monday, March 10, 2014 10:41 PM
I have 2 sets and I can do $60 shipped.
Monday, March 10, 2014 10:43 PM
I just parted out my 2006 LSJ
Tuesday, March 11, 2014 1:09 PM
I'm all set, I got them in the mail already.

Waiting on the pulley & hub to arrive now. I'm thinking I'll set a date for install soon.

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 6:05 AM
Can anyone give me a measurement from the TB to the battery in their M62 install? I'm thinking about just putting a filter on the TB and need to know how much room I have without relocating the battery. I also want ot have everything ready to go for my install this weekend.

Thanks!

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 6:21 AM
There's really not enough room for anything big enough in that space unless you run a smaller battery. I can take some measurements for you when I get home tonight. Plus, that doesn't give you a port to run your pcv to unless you get real creative.

"In Oldskool we trust"

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 6:36 AM
Philly D wrote:He doesn't need a meth setup with the reflash.

If he gets a real tune then yes, it would be very beneficial.

its a heaton, ANY of them will benefit from a water/meth injection setup on merely quelling the heat, ALONE. even with all the heat exchangers in the world, its still only going to be at ambient temp and the coolant gets warm over time doing multipal pulls. now with an icebox in the mix that would certainly help but a simple 350 dollar meth kit could not only give him added cooling benefits, it would also give him the extra fuel he may need, as well as stop any knock in its tracks.

RIP silver car. You will be missed.
Wednesday, March 26, 2014 6:48 AM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:
Philly D wrote:He doesn't need a meth setup with the reflash.

If he gets a real tune then yes, it would be very beneficial.

its a heaton, ANY of them will benefit from a water/meth injection setup on merely quelling the heat, ALONE. even with all the heat exchangers in the world, its still only going to be at ambient temp and the coolant gets warm over time doing multipal pulls. now with an icebox in the mix that would certainly help but a simple 350 dollar meth kit could not only give him added cooling benefits, it would also give him the extra fuel he may need, as well as stop any knock in its tracks.

But the point is he can't tune for the extra fuel on the reflash, which is already pig rich. It's been proven that being too fat on these motors causes knock so adding more fuel will just make that issue worse. Agreed that it is hugely beneficial in the ways that you described but it's going to hurt him more than help him on the reflash.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, March 26, 2014 7:49 AM
Yellow,

I've gotten creative before. Measurements would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 8:17 AM
You can do what I got on my car. The intake is rather ghetto but its worked for years..

Its just a 90 coupler and a piece of 90 tubing with a filter. Easy enough to bring a pcv if you want to it.

Brad...I swear sometimes you dont read. I said it would be very beneficial WITH A TUNE! Running on the GM reflash it just wont work. Yellow hit it on the button.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search