Ecotec l61 Turbo 8 PSI issue - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ecotec l61 Turbo 8 PSI issue
Sunday, August 10, 2014 8:56 AM
Hi bodies, i recently finished building my 2005 cavalier ecotec 2.2 l61 turbo & i am in the process of tuning. Everything looks fine, i am pushing 8 psi out of a T3/T04e with 57-60 trim, sound good, until it hesitate.

I am not sure if it is detonation, bad fuel pump, too little injectors, slipping clutch, boost lose, bad spark plugs (got stockers and i'm 170 000KM) but i have no check engine light coming up and under certain conditions, like 50%+ TPS and/or 4800+ RPM the car starts to hesitate, its like if i would be at the cut off, like if the fuel would cut-flow-cut-flow. I dont hear any bad sounds from the engine. No CEL, no bad noise, got a little high AFR value on histograms, near 14 sometimes, got some knock retard going on, but i am not sure if its because i was getting off the gaz pedal, and i have timing advance set 13-14 in these ranges.

Any ideas on what to check up or same experience info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Ecotec l61 Turbo 8 PSI issue
Sunday, August 10, 2014 9:58 AM
14+ AFR is higher than you really should be in boost. For what a the cost of a set of spark plugs is, do yourself a favor and get some 2 step colder plugs. If you have KR, you're loosing power. Did you upgrade your injectors when you put on the turbo, if so what size and what is your duty cycle?

Sunday, August 10, 2014 10:15 AM
For spark plugs i have gotten those (which are not installed yet because i read afterwards that many people think Bosch is bad) http://www.autopartsway.ca/PartDetails.cfm?9617/B41/Chevrolet/2005/Cavalier/Base/2.2L-L4/allB/Ignition/Secondary-Ignition/Spark-Plug/pagenum1/tabS

1- What do you guys think of these spark plugs? (At least they are irridium and they are supposed to fit like OE)
2- Are they colder plugs?
3- What 2 step colder plugs would you recommend that fits right in and are exactly the same length then stock ones (part number or url would be appreciated)

For injectors i have gotten GM #34.5 from ZZP website.
Are they enough to handle the 8psi out of my t3t4 57 trim?

For duty cycle I try to find out how i can monitor it with hptuner or whatever else software/hardware. Got any idea?

Thanks for replying!!
Monday, August 11, 2014 12:26 AM
I am running NGK LTR7IX-11 (CLICK). The ones you linked are stock replacements.

IDC should be listed by default under User Defined when you go to insert a PID into the Table Display.

Saturday, August 16, 2014 12:24 PM
Having same problem but i got reflash for a tune and saab high pressure turbo and ss injectors
Sunday, August 17, 2014 6:47 AM
Those injectors may or may not be big enough for that setup. Did you look at your injector duty cycles at all? I'd definitely go with the plugs Sparky recommended. I ran them in my boosted l61 for a long time with no issues. What kind of kr values are you seeing?

If you see anything above a 12.5 on the wideband I strongly suggest you leave off and add fuel. In general, 11.5 is safe, 12.0 is agressive, and anything above 12.5 is reckless. What wideband are you using?

"In Oldskool we trust"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search