Boosted 2200 Build - Page 22 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Boosted 2200 Build
Saturday, August 22, 2015 3:20 PM
I owe everyone some updates on this car. I know is been about 4 months since my last post, but I am still moving forward with the car. Ive had a few set backs and some new additions to the car. Starting with the bad, I lost my master cylinder coming home one night from work as i guess the angle of the caliper piston to pedal was off, still not 100% sure why it happened. Ended up pulling the front bumper off for the flat bed and got the car home in one piece. Because of this, the entire front bumper i snow held on with deuz fasteners for easy removal. I ended up getting a new Wilwood master and re aligning the angle and the car seems to be fine ever since.

Another night one my way home from a buddies house, my rear rotor and hat decided they didnt like each other and separate. Luckily there was no one on the road, as this was perhaps the worst noise and vibration i think the car has ever had. All of the bolts were gone from the hat, and the 2 of the ears were broken off the rotor. I was able to remove the wheel, rotor and had on the side of the road, keep pressure on the caliper and get the car home on 3 rotors. Again this was around 1 AM in the morning so luckily there wasn't many people on the road.

Enough with the bad, lets move onto the new additions. The Ortiz Gauge pod was cracking more and more and i just had enough with it. I went back to a stock pod and moved to a 2 A pillar pod and i was able to modify an STI center gauge vent to work with the dash board. I think it flows decent with the dashboard and gives it a nice look.

I added a battery disconnect switch in the rear of the car on the pass side as well. I have wanted to do this for a while but never got around to it. I will be adding charging posts in the future.

I also added a B&M Pro Stick shifter. I was able to keep the factory center console, however i had to modify the shifter cable bracket on the transmission as well as fabricate a new support brace for the center console. I ended up using the cable that came with the shifter. I think it looks awesome in the factory center console.

I have pictures of everything, the good and the bad and will be uploading them in a few days. Car has been running good and besides the small bumps in the road i couldn't be happier. More to come.

XtremE2200CaV: The Build has Begun
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3864109/2001-chevrolet-cavalier-sedan-4d

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 5:42 PM
Time for a much needed update. The car has been tuned! The bad news, the head lifted . Tune was going perfect, AFR was 11.7-12.1, no knock and the head lifted at around 4800 at 22psi. We were getting some great runs in and some very good numbers. Boost was coming in great and holding across the RPM range. When the head lifted, we were around 275wheel at 4800 rpm so we had plenty more RPM to go and we were planning on going to 25 psi the next pull. Ryan was bummed just as much as me. He is a great guy to work with and had things going great but the car didnt play along. Motor is torn down and the head is back from the machine shop already. I had it shaved, pressure checked and cleaned. I will be replacing the head gasket and trying to get a few more drives in before i put it away for the winter.

I added a vacuum block to the car along with switching around some of the vacuum lines to get everything more evenly controlled. I also swapped the waste gate spring for a 15 lb spring.

As some of you may also know, i was able to score a brickyard for my sedan. I think it looks awesome and im glad i was able to get my hands on one. See the pics below! More updates to come before the car goes into storage.

Thursday, November 19, 2015 7:44 AM
What shifter is that? I have a B&M slap shift was looking to upgrade.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, November 19, 2015 8:01 AM
Dang.

Arp studs? I pushed like 40psi a few times (playing around lol) and it held fine, but the car regularly ran like 34-35psi on the gt35 on it without a problem

Before that I ran stock bolts on the t04e 52mm and it was fine to 21psi.

It sucks to see it happen but at least it's tuned now!

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Thursday, November 19, 2015 3:53 PM
MD: B&M Pro Ratchet. I saw your comment on my facebook.

Matt: Yeah ARP Main/Head/Rocker studs. I had them torqued to 75lbs when the motor was assembled. I have the head back from the machine shop. They ended up shaving 0.006 off the head, glass beading, pressure checking and re assembling the springs. Head is ready to go, im just waiting on a new Cometic gasket. I am going to check the studs regularly after this and hopefully things will stay together longer. Ryan and i planned to push 25psi. The car is tuned and i cant wait to drive it and see what it feels like.

Thursday, November 19, 2015 7:27 PM
Vinny wrote:MD: B&M Pro Ratchet. I saw your comment on my facebook.

Matt: Yeah ARP Main/Head/Rocker studs. I had them torqued to 75lbs when the motor was assembled. I have the head back from the machine shop. They ended up shaving 0.006 off the head, glass beading, pressure checking and re assembling the springs. Head is ready to go, im just waiting on a new Cometic gasket. I am going to check the studs regularly after this and hopefully things will stay together longer. Ryan and i planned to push 25psi. The car is tuned and i cant wait to drive it and see what it feels like.

Many years ago ARP told me that their studs are reusable unless you blow a head gasket.

I also know they recommend rechecking the torque 3 times after install and heat cycles.

FU Tuning

Friday, November 20, 2015 9:50 AM
You wouldn't happen to have a part number?

PRND321 Till I DIE
Sunday, November 22, 2015 7:59 AM
MD:
Shifter was B&M P/N 80706 and the gate was p/N 80712. I had to make a shifter mount in order for it to get to fit in the factory console. Just a heads up.

Monday, January 18, 2016 4:34 AM
Any other updates?

PRND321 Till I DIE
Monday, January 18, 2016 3:51 PM
MD: Just trying to enjoy the car before the winter and cold weather. So far we have had a very mild winter. I was running into issues with the converter and was/am looking into a performance converter for the car. Car currently has a Dayco 2800 stahl with the Level 10 performance kit. I was able to get the car to hold and had to do some small adjusting on the shifter cable. Car has been crusiing fine, AFR's are perfect. Def looking to upgrade and get some slicks / DOT radials and bring the car to the track next season.

Exterior modes havent been new, just keeping up with everything. Im modifying the exhaust cutout to make it fit alittle nicer and realign the front bumper so everything sits better. I also swapped back to a factory dash bezel as the old Ortiz one was cracked and i went with a pillar and center gauge pod. New Corbeau harnesses in black were installed as well.

I am keeping track on the 2016 BASH and will hopefully be able to bring the car out there. Definitely would be nice to see everyone's car and not be the only cavalier at a car show.

I will keep the updates coming!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search