best cams for turbo??? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
best cams for turbo???
Monday, October 04, 2004 3:22 PM
what are the best cams for a turboed 99 z24 with atleast 10-15psi and larger valves with a cnc pot and polish head?

Re: best cams for turbo???
Monday, October 04, 2004 4:09 PM
is your motor built? if your pushing 10-15 psi, and you want to do cams, and P&P head, you'll be damn close to going kaboom. even without cams and P&P head, 10-15 psi is close to kaboom. on stock internals. just be carefull. look up secret cam swap. also RSM racing has a set of cams. rsm cams show crazy numbers with there supercharger. dont know exact numbers, so i'm not going to give a number, but they say its more than N/A and thats 18 hp. so look at atleast 18 hp gain lol. <br>

Visit High Rev Motorsports for all your High Performance needs.

Visit RSM Racing for j-body superchargers, throttle bodies, and much more.
Tuesday, October 05, 2004 6:26 AM
5 psi of boost...... I just put down 263 hp at 278 ft/tq with HO cams, on a TEC 3 tuning run This is a gain from 227 hp at 5 psi.... The 227 hp was at 5000 rpms.... the 263 was at 5500 rpms because of the power band change.

The car now is 18 psi.......with 21 coming this weekend.

Keep in mind, I have a built motor and a TEC 3.....

<br>

Signature Powered by Exploited Racing
Tuesday, October 05, 2004 3:48 PM
^ man i envy you!

With the setup i'm getting i still wont have that much power escpecially at 5 PSI!!
Tuesday, October 05, 2004 4:52 PM
seceret cams= 4.5 psi= fun for me.

<br>

Tuesday, October 05, 2004 6:37 PM
Greenz: how do you feel your car with secret cam swap and the GM SC? power at the upper rpm band is better than with stock cams? and at lower rpms? what about the idle? is smooth?

Jhonny Mack: do you know if the GM SC program can work with wilder cams than secret swap? like the HO or W41?

Thanks for your help. <br>

ELIOT. Now.....boosted.

Tuesday, October 05, 2004 6:49 PM
I am running the same cams as Johnny Mack, 4500rpm and up the power comes on violently Although these cams aren't just a drop in, there is some extensive work involved to use these cams.

Eliot, i don't see any reason why the s/c program wouldn't work with HO cams. These cams work fine with the stock ecu other than a lumpy idle. <br>

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Thursday, October 07, 2004 8:05 PM
what if u use the cams off mantapart..............................wich is better? Mantapart cams or RSM cams????????
Thursday, October 07, 2004 9:38 PM
Quote:

I am running the same cams as Johnny Mack, 4500rpm and up the power comes on violently Although these cams aren't just a drop in, there is some extensive work involved to use these cams.

what kind of work you have to do to make them work.
Saturday, October 09, 2004 1:12 PM
I want to know whats the largest lift and duration of a cam you can have without having major problems if you were to have a 2.3 head on a 2.4 ....Is too hot of a cam to much for a turbo....or is this a hoax?

RSM has .410 lift and a 220 duration

Manta part has .430 and a 232 duration
.445 and a 242
.460 and a 252

anything i missed please add on.....
I learned old school V-8 and now im into I-4.... i need numbers to know how big is big and all that good stuff.
Sunday, October 10, 2004 3:08 AM
what kind of work you need to do to run HO cams?

i would also like to know this <br>

<br>-DJ

Sunday, October 10, 2004 8:21 AM
To use HO cams the right you need to use pre 95 2.3 lifters as well. The pre 95 2.3 lifters are 35mm vs the stock 2.4 lifters which are 33mm. First the lifter bore in the cam housings need to be bored out to accept the 35mm lifters. Next the intake cam needs to have one machined out and a hex fitting pressed in to drive the power steering pump, there also needs to be a small hole drilled in the OD end of the cam to allow oil to got to the steering pump. Next you need to make a cam sensor lobe and weld it to the cam so your cam sensor will still function. <br>

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Sunday, October 10, 2004 8:48 AM
eliot- it is sorta like a mini vtec lol. i am happy with them and the $ i spent on them. <br>

Wednesday, April 13, 2005 11:41 AM
i'm getting my JBP turbo cam in the mail soon....

for my OHV tho...

I'll be sure to post about the turbo install and the dreaded cam install on the OHV when I get it in...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search