Parts Advise please... Everyone welcome! - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Parts Advise please... Everyone welcome!
Tuesday, April 19, 2005 6:52 PM
Well I'm finishin' up my 2.4 swap into my Cavfire this month. I'm going be turboed soon I hope also. What I need, or should I say whould like to have is everyone's input on products you have used. I started yesterday buying things to get started. Brandon Fetter has been talkin' with me on how to run my charge pipes after I get an intercooler. His pipes are very well routed for us 5-speed people. The only things I really have so far is this...

1. Tail 38mm Wastegate (sold to me from Brandon)
2. 2.3 HO Intake Manafold
3. 2.3 HO 56mm TB

I know the last two don't really help much, but it is better then the stock stuff. The other things I'm lookin' into are fuel mods, turbo headers, and the basic stuff for now. I've also been lookin' into some cams also while I have the engine out still, but I just want some more info on what more of you guys are running. This will help me out a ton. I'm planing on using a Garett T3/T4 turbo. I've been askin' around and might be going with the 40/60 or 63 wheels. So if anyone want to share anything let me know. Going to run 5-7 psi on stock for now. Planing on about 15 PSI later down the road.

Re: Parts Advise please... Everyone welcome!
Tuesday, April 19, 2005 7:09 PM
Quote:

but I just want some more info on what more of you guys are running

Lets see if I can list it all...

--Turbo Related--
Log style manifold ala Ebay
.48/.50 T3 60 Trim Turbo, internally gated at (I think) 6psi
Stainless steel oil feed kit + extra fittings
5/8ths inch oil drain kit
2.5" Mandrel bent charge pipes in a similar fashion to Mr. Fetter, only mine is auto and harder to do...
30x3x6 Johnny Racecar Intercooler
Polished HO Intake Manifold
1/2" Grade 8 Turbo Studs
TurboXS RFL BOV
$200 In Black Silicone Couplers and T-Bolt Clamps

---Fuel---
A'Pexi SAFC-2 Version 2
Cartech BEGI Billet Adjustable FMU
Accel Adjustable FPR
Ford Red Top 30lb/hr Injectors

---Exhaust---
2.5" Turbo Back
2.5" In/Out Flex Pipe
2.5" In/Out High Flow Cat (Need to order yet)
2.5" Single In Dual Out Muffler (Need to order yet)

---Misc---
Like 25' of Vac Hose
Felpro Oil Pan Gasket
Felpro Intake Gasket
Felpro Exhaust Gasket
2 5/8ths Inch Boost Gauge
2 1/16ths Inch A/F Gauge
RTV Sealant

Yeah, I think thats it

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Tuesday, April 19, 2005 7:15 PM
BTW I have a 97 2.4 motor. I'm needed more info on what pumps others are using and injectors they are runing.

Shifted I'm in no way going to run a log manafold. I've broke 1 on Major's car while not even at high boost levels. I'm sure it was him at higher boost that caused the problem, but still it broke. Thanks for all your info on your setup. If you know more about what I can use for fuel on my older 2.4 motor let me know. Wish you lived closer for a ride too...

Tuesday, April 19, 2005 7:51 PM
As far as long manifolds go, they won't break if they are high quality, no matter what boost level.

For fuel, I would suggest brown tops if you are looking for a cheaper injector, or just straight RC 370's if you are wanting to go the more expensive route. Those should be good for 10-12 PSI. 440's if you want to get to 15ish. An adjustable FMU and with the larger injectors you'll need something to pull the fuel down, like the SAFC or the E-Manage. Adjustable FPR to set the base pressure and that should make for a decent fuel setup.

Tuesday, April 19, 2005 8:36 PM
Shifted wrote:As far as long manifolds go, they won't break if they are high quality, no matter what boost level.

For fuel, I would suggest brown tops if you are looking for a cheaper injector, or just straight RC 370's if you are wanting to go the more expensive route. Those should be good for 10-12 PSI. 440's if you want to get to 15ish. An adjustable FMU and with the larger injectors you'll need something to pull the fuel down, like the SAFC or the E-Manage. Adjustable FPR to set the base pressure and that should make for a decent fuel setup.
When you talk about the brown tops are those the Ford injectors that I hear about. I just would like to understand more by brown tops. Please don't hate for tryin' to learn it right. Also those will work for a 97 engine right...

Tuesday, April 19, 2005 8:42 PM
Brown tops are Ford 35lb/hr Low Impedance injectors used in 87-88 Ford Turbo Coupes. Since they are low impedance (compatible with your injector system), and of a decent size (35lb/hr is 370ish CC's), they are a great choice for injectors on a budget. You will need to wire in the clips (easy cut, splice, and solder job), and hook them up. Since they are so big, you'll need to bring the base fuel pressure way down (35ish PSI), and even then the idle might be rough, so something like the SAFC or E-Manage can help cure that.

Tuesday, April 19, 2005 8:53 PM
Where is a good place to find a Adjustable FPR for a fair price these days.

Tuesday, April 19, 2005 8:56 PM
I got my Accel FPR 74565 from Autozone for $105.

Tuesday, April 19, 2005 9:03 PM
Not to bad there. I'm still going to look around here and there on what I can grab every pay check or so. Thanks Shifted you have helped me out tonight. I hope to learn more while these keeps going on.

Wednesday, April 20, 2005 8:21 PM
Did you ever upgrade your pump, or add an in-line?

Wednesday, April 20, 2005 8:30 PM
Its on the list of upgrades as soon as I get the turbo on. In fact after the exhaust goes in, it will be my first upgrade. Walbro 255.

Wednesday, April 20, 2005 9:59 PM
Shifted wrote:Its on the list of upgrades as soon as I get the turbo on. In fact after the exhaust goes in, it will be my first upgrade. Walbro 255.

where's a good place to purchase the walbro 255?

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search