How to plum for water-cooled center section? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How to plum for water-cooled center section?
Sunday, June 25, 2006 8:49 PM
Hello guys I was curious to know how to install a water cooled center section of a turbo for use on a 2200. I know you can buy a turbo with or without the option but would I just tap the hard radiator piping that goes parallel with the head of the engine and tap it again for a return further down the tube?

I haven't purchased my turbo yet but have looked into quite a few and some have water cooled senter sections. Since 3rd gens never came factory with turbo how would you set this up?

Thanks Jeff

Re: How to plum for water-cooled center section?
Sunday, June 25, 2006 11:16 PM
I was just gonna "T" into mine like you said but wanna know if there is a proper way to do it or not with the routing of the thermostat, radiator,head. Does it matter where it is T'ed for the turbo with the return and feed? Not trying to thread jack, I just wanna know more about it too.
Travis

Monday, June 26, 2006 8:30 AM
I was trying to figure this out also but on a LD9 my thoughts were this.... I know where im gonna get the coolant from but my problem was where to put it back..... #1 route the coolant back into the coolant resivoir #2... well i havent got that far my only worry with going back into the tank is that it will kill some of the pressure in the coolant system and kill flow..... but the tank is pressurized so im not 100% sure. If any one on here has a GT series BB turbo with coolant lines it would be great to hear how you have yours routed.

Monday, June 26, 2006 9:11 AM
make an indapendant cooling system using a tranny or oil cooler and a small electric pump should work right?

This way the coolant is not passing into the rest of the engine and staying hot.

Monday, June 26, 2006 9:47 AM
^^^^^ That is a great idea, Aaron. ^^^^^^^

I have been trying to figure out how to plumb my lines using the heater core lines ( 2.2 eco ) and also keeping the heater core in the loop. This would make it so much easier and you could just use Braided lines so they dont melt since they are so close to the header / log manifold.

Do you have a pump and cooler that you would suggest, using 6an fittings and coolant circulation lines?

Check out my Part Out List!! Great Prices !! http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/detail/52925/

Monday, June 26, 2006 1:00 PM
hells no, run it inline to the IN side of your heater core (passenger side). Don't use a " T " use 2 " L" conectors and have all the fluid run throw the turbo ==> heater core ==> normal flow.

You heater core is the only "coolant bypass" that is always flowing (even when the thermostat is closed) this way it always gets coolant, and keeps the oil from cooking. Remember water can only reach 100 C so the oil will never have a chance to cook in there. :cheers

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Monday, June 26, 2006 1:01 PM
oh yah, make sure you get 3/4" hose and fittings, that will ensure no leaks.

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Monday, June 26, 2006 2:39 PM
ge_forcez22 wrote:Remember water can only reach 100 C so the oil will never have a chance to cook in there.
Water in free air can only reach 100C before boiling. Water under pressure mixed with coolant (as in an engine) will not boil until higher temperature. Still not high enough to cook the oil, but something to keep in mind.

The heater core inlet comes from the hot side of the motor, IIRC. However, this is a situation much like transmission coolers built in to radiators, which are always on the hot (inlet) side. The operating temperature range of a transmission is such that HOT engine coolant is actually used to COOL the transmission fluid. The same can be said for a turbocharger. Hot engine coolant will still act to cool the unit, which operates at a much higher temperature. As for the return plumbing, I'd say send it right back to the heater core, as suggested above.

09:f9:11:02:9d:74:e3:5b:d8:41:56:c5:63

Monday, June 26, 2006 2:45 PM
ge_forcez22 wrote:hells no, run it inline to the IN side of your heater core (passenger side). Don't use a " T " use 2 " L" conectors and have all the fluid run throw the turbo ==> heater core ==> normal flow.

You heater core is the only "coolant bypass" that is always flowing (even when the thermostat is closed) this way it always gets coolant, and keeps the oil from cooking. Remember water can only reach 100 C so the oil will never have a chance to cook in there. :cheers

so your saying nomal flow==> turbo===> inlet to heater core versus normal flow ===> inlet to heater core.

basically havin the turbo inline of the inlet and to NOT use a tee fitting

Monday, June 26, 2006 2:47 PM
yah thats exactyl what I am saying, it forces the coolant to go through, as opposed to doing 50-50 split, that way you can be sure that the turbo charger is being cooled, and if winter driving is on your agenda, it should warm up the cab quicker too.

Monday, June 26, 2006 3:36 PM
That's a damn good idea. I just might have to do that while I have the car down for work.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 9:45 AM
Thanks for all the info guys I would have never of thought of using the heater core inlet. thanks a bunch. To bad my exhaust mani is on the front of my motor.

Cheers
Jeff

Thursday, June 29, 2006 4:21 AM
is there any bad side affects with the extra heat going to the heater core?

Now Powered By TEAM GREEN

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/827643
boost will be soon for me....
Thursday, June 29, 2006 6:20 AM
not that I am aware of, the coolant can get only so hot. I believe it is 3 degrees F every 7KPA or something, and your cap is 70KPA IIRC, so max coolant can get is 241 F, so everything is made to take that temp.

Which is also why coolant litterally explodes when you open the cap when it is at 241 cause boiling is 220 @atmospheric pressure, so literally all the coolant boils instantly causing it to explode, ....

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search