Boost leak - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Boost leak
Saturday, September 30, 2006 9:01 AM
I Have a tdo4e turbo, with a turbonetics evolution wastegate ( 7lb spring). I am purchasing a boost controller in the next few days. But my car will only boost up to 4 lbs on my guage and it has a horrible exhaust leak. I checked all of the manifold and downpipe bolts 2 or 3 times, and they all are tight. I called turbonetics and they told me the spec on the color spring I had was 7 lbs, I am assuming it is blowing exhaust out of the wastegate, but I was quite for sure why at such low boost. I am running open exit wasyegate for now, next week im going to dump it into the exhaust. Any info would be helpful, I wasn't quite for sure if a boost controller would fix this problem or not, Im running out of solutions.

Re: Boost leak
Saturday, September 30, 2006 9:11 AM
run a boost leak test.... air compressor to the charge pipes and check to see if air seeps out anywhere.. if not then its probably the spring in the wastegate

|Forged 8.9:1 Wiseco Pistons|Forged Eagle Rods|HPTuners|60trim|Tial Wastegate|
|Precision Intercooler|2.5" Exhaust|2.5" Charge Pipes|630CC Mototron Injectors|
|Stock: Fuel Pump, Transmission, Manifold, TB, Head, Head Gasket, Ignition, Suspension...|
Saturday, September 30, 2006 12:15 PM
If your wastegate vac line is going to the turbo compressor housing you probably are getting 7 psi at the wastegate and losing a few psi through the intercooler and charge pipes (also known as pressure drop). Try taking the vac line off of the compressor and block off the hole with a plug. now take that line and put it on the intake manifold somewhere after the throttle body. The line should go from the wastegate directly to the manifold.

Saturday, September 30, 2006 4:11 PM
do you have the fire ring in the wastegate? i had the same trouble, because i didn't have a fire ring. i knew it belogn there just didn't have one fixed it right when i put the ring in

Saturday, September 30, 2006 10:14 PM
There was a washer type spacer, that I wasn't quite for sure what it was used for, or where it went at specifically on the wastegate . I bought it used, and im a newb to boost just yet. So im still learnin, so nething would be helpful. I do have the wastegate line to the compressor, ill switch it up to the intake manifold tomm and see what the results are.
Sunday, October 01, 2006 8:32 PM
I re-routed my wastegate hose to my intake manifoold behind the throttle body. I gained 1 psi, so now im at 5 psi but the wastegate is blowing by alot, and its crazy loud. I want it to be at 8 psi, so I guess im going to need to buy a boost controller, and dump my wastegate exhaust below the car.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search