TVS Group Buy on CSS.net - Boost Forum

This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.
TVS Group Buy on CSS.net
Monday, February 02, 2009 10:42 AM
http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=152639

Check it out guys. This would one way of having a bad ass Cav.

Re: TVS Group Buy on CSS.net
Monday, February 02, 2009 10:45 AM
Any before anyone asks, supporting mods would be:

Ecotec of course....
Big injectors - 60lbers at least
Upgraded Fuel Pump
Built Bottom End - Rods and Pistons
Clutch
M62 supercharger kit - you need the belt assembly and the intake manifold
Meth injection and dual pass setup would yield the best results
Colder plugs
Hi-performance tires
Monday, February 02, 2009 11:30 AM
If this was only next year and just for the blower.....

Here is just alittle something to wet the lips. Estimated TVS pulley sizes and boost pressures.
64mm / 2.5" ~ 27.5 psi
70mm / 2.75" ~ 25 psi
75mm / 2.95" ~ 22.5 psi
80mm / 3.15" ~ 20 psi
85mm / 3.35" ~ 17.5 psi
89mm / 3.5" ~15psi

FYI - The TVS has less heatsoak, more CFM, and more PSI than the M62.

Admiral Jedi wrote:Any before anyone asks, supporting mods would be:

Ecotec of course....
Big injectors - 60lbers at least(Required)
Upgraded Fuel Pump(Required)
Built Bottom End - Rods and Pistons(Required)
Clutch(Eh.....)
M62 supercharger kit - you need the belt assembly and the intake manifold(Required)
Meth injection and dual pass setup would yield the best results(Good things to have anyway)
Colder plugs(Good idea)
Hi-performance tires(Traction is overrated)

Fixed it for you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, February 02, 2009 11:33 AM

Tinkles
v. intr.
1. To make light metallic sounds, as those of a small bell.
2. Informal To urinate.
v. tr.
1. To cause to tinkle.
2. To signal or call by tinkling.
n.
1. A light, clear metallic sound or a sound suggestive of it.
2. An act or instance of tinkling.

Monday, February 02, 2009 12:46 PM
I guess the meth injection and dual pass depend on the boost pressure you're gonna be running. Anything smaller than a 3" pulley, I would do too.
Monday, February 02, 2009 1:08 PM
that would b fun lol

Monday, February 02, 2009 2:10 PM
oh damn. tax return! not so much.

Monday, February 02, 2009 9:27 PM
I really wish they would have gone with something bigger than the 1.3L TVS blower. The 1.6 would have been a better choice.

I'm curious what the difference in power would actually be on my car. I can't say the M62 is even maxed out yet but will be this next season. Maybe if someone were selling a used one for less money, I just can't justify the cost of that blower.

I've yet to see anyone with a cobalt make great use of the TVS yet. Does anyone else have any information on cars that maxed that blower out beyond what the m62 is actually capable of?

12.770 @ 111.99 Intercooled Eaton M62

Monday, February 02, 2009 9:35 PM
If you arent gonna go to the track very often, Meth is way overrated, I have never heard anyone say it does any different.

I see it this way, If you have meth, and you go to the track alot or run your car hard alot, youre gonna be spending a ton on meth, and if your car doesnt see very much track time or slow DD'ing, then its a waste of money to buy the kit.

So you have to decide how you are gonna drive the car before buying meth.

Airtonics, the only person who I know that knows what they are doing with cobalts and tvs is area47, granted he is only running a 3.1 pulley, but he is making around 350 with just valvetrain work downpipe, and a tune.

He actually started a thread about how pissed he is at people who have tvs and arent over 300whp.

Tuesday, February 03, 2009 3:52 AM
it's funny, the want list is close to 30 already, but when time comes to pony up for the cash, i bet about 10 actually get it.

Tuesday, February 03, 2009 7:12 AM
^ Maybe 10. haha $2,000 is a lot of money for a blower.

There are secret upgrades that aren't really spoken of on CSS.net about new generation rotors going into our generation M62 making it capable of flowing enough air for 300whp. But, I read somewhere that was a super aggressive tune. So I dunno.

I wish people would learn how to drive well to go fast instead of going for a ton of power they can't control.
Tuesday, February 03, 2009 9:32 AM
They cobalt ss i got my M62 off was making 284whp and there was still room for a decent amount of upgrades.

Tinkles
v. intr.
2. Informal To urinate.
v. tr.
1. To cause to tinkle.
n.

Tuesday, February 03, 2009 9:42 AM
Area also has a built head and revs to 1000rpm higher than the rest of us, I'm prob sitting right around 310whp right now, at the bash though the tune was still far from done and heat still affects this blower just as much if not moreso than the M62. Heatsoak is still very much an issue especially when its above 80 out

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Tuesday, February 03, 2009 9:53 AM
you guys don't have phenolic spacers?

with a L2A intercooler, methanol injection and phenolic spacers you're still getting heatsoak?

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Tuesday, February 03, 2009 10:35 AM
ion C2 wrote:you guys don't have phenolic spacers?

with a L2A intercooler, methanol injection and phenolic spacers you're still getting heatsoak?

no phenolic spacers.

Tuesday, February 03, 2009 10:36 AM
there's the problem, cut one out

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Tuesday, February 03, 2009 11:43 AM
[ion wrote: C2]there's the problem, cut one out

It is the biggest problem I have seen with the cobalts setup. I am surprised they have not done that sooner.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Tuesday, February 03, 2009 11:52 AM
phenolic spacers wtf is that

Tuesday, February 03, 2009 12:05 PM
It stops heat from transfering from the S/C to the intake mani.

Tinkles
v. intr.
2. Informal To urinate.
v. tr.
1. To cause to tinkle.
n.

Tuesday, February 03, 2009 12:14 PM
no the primary function of one is to stops heat from transferring from the cylinder head to the intake manifold. if you buy one to use in conjunction with the supercharger to manifold gasket that is what that one would do. the most important one is the "intake manifold->head" spacer.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Tuesday, February 03, 2009 12:36 PM
Same idea, i just screwed up on the location. Reduces heat transfer.

Tinkles
v. intr.
2. Informal To urinate.
v. tr.
1. To cause to tinkle.
n.

Tuesday, February 03, 2009 12:38 PM
Who said the tvs put out more heat that the m62? Harrop said they twisted the rotors 160 degrees to reduce heat while producing more power.

So that means if the tvs is creating the same amount of heat as the m62, the tvs is also gonna be creating more power.

ON THE LSJ, you can make 320hp without porting or having a dualpass(meth or H/E)

Tuesday, February 03, 2009 3:23 PM
While at comparable boost levels the TVS may be less heat that doesn't mean that its not too much already. Sure running stage 2 on a M62 gets you 15-16psi and around 130-140 WOT. Running a TVS at the same level you might only get 120s. But the thing is nobody runs less than 20lbs on a TVS and at that boost level your right back where you started as far as temperature goes and the more you rev it the hotter temps you will get.

While you might be able to make 320 without having a Heat exchanger or dual pass I can promise you that the motor won't live very long.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, February 03, 2009 3:24 PM

Tuesday, February 03, 2009 3:27 PM
So this upgraded blower is really for the hardcore supercharger guys. I mean the guys who just straight love superchargers regardless of the price and power output.

It sounds like your going to end up spending a lot for a reliable and fast setup, while there are hahn turbo kits out there that will rape you for about the same money.

Tuesday, February 03, 2009 3:37 PM
oldskool wrote:So this upgraded blower is really for the hardcore supercharger guys. I mean the guys who just straight love superchargers regardless of the price and power output.

It sounds like your going to end up spending a lot for a reliable and fast setup, while there are hahn turbo kits out there that will rape you for about the same money.

Yeah, Basically. Some of us like the overall ease of having a supercharger, but not all of like throwing money away.

I guess for some of the Cobalt guys warranty comes into play, it's easy to swap a blower, but not so easy to remove a turbo, put the exhaust back on, then reinstall the blower.
Tuesday, February 03, 2009 4:41 PM
oldskool wrote:So this upgraded blower is really for the hardcore supercharger guys. I mean the guys who just straight love superchargers regardless of the price and power output.

TVS effeciency is in the range of MOST turbo's ~70%+.

The heat is obviously from the boost levels, the intake manifold and head don't flow nearly enough air to keep heat levels down, remember pressurized air heats up..Flow better, less temps, less psi, but MORE power.

the TVS pumps out .32L more than the m62 PER rotation. That is a lot of air.

Also the HAHN set-up is nearly double the cost IIRC, and there is a lot more hidden fee's with it. and will take a weekend to install.. tvs is about 6 bolts total.

This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.

Start New Topic Advanced Search