i did it and it was worth it...!!!!!!! - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
i did it and it was worth it...!!!!!!!
Thursday, May 05, 2005 9:54 AM
so i just finished my 5 speed swap last night and it was complely worth it. i love it, the only thing is i got boned by the scrap yard that i bought the computer from, they told me it was out of a 96 5 speed base which is what i wanted and now that everything is hooked up i can still drive it but it is throwing a whole bunch of stupid tranny codes, like 1-2 solenoid and 2-3 solenoid and so on and so forth so i am just going to re program the one that came out of my car to a 5 speed and make the dum@ss scrap yard take back the computer they sold me.... i will probably post some pics through out the swap in a few......

Re: i did it and it was worth it...!!!!!!!
Saturday, May 07, 2005 2:14 AM
Nice. Good luck with the new tranny.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Saturday, May 07, 2005 6:08 AM
how hard and how long did it take for you to complete your swap? shifted told me that i should get a z24 with a 5 speed anyway because that's how much i would be looking to spend anyways.
Wednesday, May 11, 2005 4:44 AM
well i found a parts car that had everything that i needed to do the swap and i paid $250usd for it and the only thing i "had to" purchase after that was a clutch and have the flywheel resurfaced. i spent more then that but i did alot of stuff while i had everything apart, so if you could find a wrecked 5 speed then you would probably only be looking at about $700-800 depending on what all you want to do. i think total including all of the other stuff i did i spent about $1000,i got a cf hood,new clutch master, new tail lights and all new clear corners, new clutch,timing chain, flywheel resurfaced, new motor mount (the bottom one) and gm syncromesh tranny fluid and a parts car, so like i said if you can find a parts car it wouldn't be quite that expensive w/o a parts car all the little stuff would probably start to add up really quick and get expensive though.

hope this helps
-dave
Monday, May 16, 2005 11:57 AM
so it wasnt really hard then? i would like to do this to my 2200 would the tranny and everything else from a 96 or 97 cavalier fit except for the computer. because i could get a cavalier that year for a bout 250 for the whole car from a friend except that i have an 00 and that is an older one.

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 11:16 PM
which five speed did you put in?
i would have grabbed the f35

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 10:20 AM
i just put in the isuzu trans, i've heard about all of the trans problems w/those but the car it can out of only had 70,000 and it was babied, it still had the original clutch in it and looked really good. also i am not really going for speed with this car or anyhting like that, just something different from the auto, and something that looks decent going from point a to b and cruzin around town, nothing gawdy. but so far i a have no complaints with the trans it shifts really smooth and rides nice!!!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search