transaxle problem - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
transaxle problem
Wednesday, May 11, 2005 9:13 PM
well to start off my car is a 98 Z24 5 spd. i had my transmission switched out due to differential blowing out. Now a few months after my car makes a clunk noise(you can feel it too) when making left turns with it in gear. do you think it is another transmission problem or do you think it could be a bad or worn out axle. The only time it ever does it though is when i am going around left turns. it still shifts fine and everything.

Re: transaxle problem
Wednesday, May 11, 2005 10:06 PM
it is probably your cv joint in the cv shaft. not that big of a problem.
Friday, May 13, 2005 8:47 PM
.....but it will be a problem if you leave it for long. High mileage CV joints don't like being disturbed and probably didn't take too well the trans coming out.

It is possible for the joint to become so worn it would break loose and spin freely destroying everything in its path. Picture a very heavy propeller spinning under your car and smashing everything in its path to pieces.

I just had both my CV's re-built for 90 CAN$.
Sunday, May 15, 2005 1:23 AM
dumb question bt how do you seperate the axle from the transmission without breaking the seal on the rubber boot? I can figre it out, is it just jammed in there really good or something?
Sunday, May 15, 2005 7:28 AM
you have to put pressure on it with a prybar and then bop the prybar witha hammer, theres a lock washer in there, takes a bit of effort to get it out, but once it's out it's not prob to get the new one in, (or rebuilt) you just take a slot screwdriver stick the end in the little groove on the inner end of the cv and tap the screwdriver till you hear "clunk" and then tug on the metal part of the cv joint inner end to make sure it's not going to slip back out.... as for the high miler thing, mines got about 190 something k on it and i just popped them both and they're fine but thats just cuz i'm good like that

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time..." "for those ten seconds or less I'm free"
Sunday, May 15, 2005 12:24 PM
The pry-bar goes in well behind the rubber boot. The rubber boot should come off with the rest of the CV.
Put the pry right on the metal trans-axle casing and the sloping metal of the CV, it might be a little hard to keep the bar from slipping. Use the method described above, I was a first timer and it didn't take me longer than 5 min. apiece.
Sunday, May 15, 2005 12:39 PM
K, kuz pulling on it didn't make it come off, just seperated the rubber boot (it was a wrecker car I was experimenting on).
Sunday, May 15, 2005 3:18 PM
I used a 1" pry bar, fit it in nice and snug between the trans case and the inboard CV and 2 firm yanks and it popped right out. The other side was a little stubborn so I smacked the bar with a large rubber mallet. Should come right out like the old 2 wheel drive shafts did.
Sunday, May 15, 2005 3:20 PM
good tips guys, thanks.
Tuesday, May 24, 2005 6:11 PM
well, i bought new axles and when i went to install them i noticed a small crack in the passenger side one about __ long (length of line) on the end nearest the wheel. nothing seems to be coming out of it. do you think this is something to be concerned about or not.
Tuesday, May 24, 2005 7:33 PM
You bought it new and don't like the quality, just bring it back. No one should question that decision especially if you have not installed it yet.

The axles are supposed to be solid metal, the crack is probably indicating a badly casted or rolled steel member.

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 9:05 PM
the crack is in the rubber boot at the wheels end of the axle
Tuesday, May 24, 2005 9:16 PM
Return it
Wednesday, May 25, 2005 9:21 PM
well before i got the new axles, the clunk got alot worse now it is when i hit the gas just a little to hard and turning. so i got the new axles (returned the one with the tear in the boot). i put them on today and the car is still doing the exact same thing. so i guess it is my transmission again?
Wednesday, May 25, 2005 9:23 PM
Is it just one big clunk or a bunch of clunks? Could be a number of things associated with the suspension.
Wednesday, May 25, 2005 9:34 PM
bunch of clunks and it doesn't move very good when it clunks
Wednesday, May 25, 2005 9:52 PM
hmm, have you jacked it up and checked your wheel bearings? what about the ball joints? Basically jack the car up and give the wheel a shake and pull looking for any odd movements. Make sure your steering wheel is locked though.
Sunday, May 29, 2005 4:55 PM
Quote:

bunch of clunks and it doesn't move very good when it clunks

If the "move" means your car suddenly gets a power drop, it is probably the transmission.

If it isn't, something is seriously binding to cause that and I think you are well beyond any help we should be providing. Time to see a professional, get the problem solved, before you turn your car into a death trap, or cause serious damage to your vehicle.
Monday, May 30, 2005 2:17 PM
Hey bro sorry to break it to you it is your tranny!! Had the same thing happen to me. Itis the final drive in your tranny or somethiing like that. This problem will occur when you get the front wheels airborne and you still have your foot on the gas. When the tires make contact with the road again it rips the teeth out of the final drive. Good news your half shafts and cv's are good!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search