Grind Goes the Getrag - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Grind Goes the Getrag
Tuesday, June 07, 2005 7:23 PM
Today on the way home 3rd started grinding, bad synchro, Well I had it rebuilt at 9000 miles under warranty, now Im at 33,000 so still under warranty I hope!
So guessing they are going to rebuild it for free because its under warranty, I am wondering up much life is left in my clutch?
Is there any easy way to tell besides where the clutch releases whether the clutch is ready to be replaced?
I figured if I am going to take it into the shop and have it rebuilt maybe I should order a spec 2 clutch and have it put in while they are at it. Its probabally going to take the dealer 2 weeks to get me in anyways, thats 2 weeks without 3rd gear, Ive been through this before.

Im not sure if its my driving or what is causing this to happen, I drove a porsche 944 two years and didn't have any trouble with the transmission. Im not that hard on the thing either.

Re: Grind Goes the Getrag
Tuesday, June 07, 2005 7:45 PM
There is a little window on the bottom of the transmission just for checking the clutch.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Tuesday, June 07, 2005 8:19 PM
33,000? It should be under warranty still. The standard warranty is 36,000 I believe
Wednesday, June 08, 2005 2:55 PM
my 5th gear synchro went out and its kinda hard to be that hard on your 5th gear.... lol.... i think the synchros just suck. but yeah, they should fix it for free again.
Wednesday, June 29, 2005 6:45 PM
Yay! I won't have my car for the Bash now!! Gosh this is wonderful

Thursday, June 30, 2005 12:15 PM
i never knew about the window on the bottom that is cool.

2004 Cavalier, 2.2 ecotec, 5spd getrag
Jenny Black Thunder WILL Conquer All!!!!
Friday, July 01, 2005 9:36 AM
The reason the synchro's go is because the aluminum shift forks bend. I'm on my 3rd tranny with 102,XXXkms, and keep an extra in my closet, lol.

15.3 @ 89.97mph, 14's on the way?

For Sale:
'01 SFGT springs $50CAN
Getrag '00-'02 2.4 8000kms $800
Friday, July 01, 2005 9:37 AM
And they have all rattled!

15.3 @ 89.97mph, 14's on the way?

For Sale:
'01 SFGT springs $50CAN
Getrag '00-'02 2.4 8000kms $800
Sunday, July 03, 2005 12:22 AM
If it makes you feel any better i had to go 3 weeks w/o my car when my getrag decided to blow-up litteraly a gear shattered and put 5 nice holes in my trans case. And yes it was still under warentee thank god!! Dealer said it might be voided due to my exhaust and short shifter. ( makes jerkoff motion ). And then i mentioned the magson moss act. and they took care of it.....ahhhh seems like yesterday.

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 8:14 AM
how long does it take to get it repaired?? i gotta 05 sunfire (bought used), and i think my 5th is goin out, its got like 11,000 mi, i just barley put 1,000 on it myself, just wondering how long it would take because im a busy person
Tuesday, July 05, 2005 5:30 PM
It has now been over 4 weeks and Im still waiting....
I even have corporate GM involved calling the dealer, its still not fixed.

Thursday, July 07, 2005 4:08 PM
I think I got you all beat I went through a tranny in 6000 miles do to a bubble in the cast of the pin that holds the spider gears in place. ended up putting a hole through the bottom and now i have 3 broken spider gears as a souveneir all under warrenty

Friday, July 08, 2005 3:44 AM
were you guys running the stock trans fluid?

see ya!

Friday, July 08, 2005 4:37 AM
Synchros go out because of bad driving.

FU Tuning

Friday, July 08, 2005 9:22 PM
pushrods wrote:And then i mentioned the magson moss act. and they took care of it.....

Maybe It's because I'm young or something but I have to ask... what exactly is the magson moss ast?
Tuesday, July 12, 2005 5:45 PM
Yeah STFU, thats why I got my car back last thursday and the 3rd started grinding again on Sunday after 400 miles of me babying the tranny so it would break in! I am back to where i was 5 weeks ago with the same problem. They rebuilt it 3 times and didn't fix @!#$. Now its back in the shop and I have a Bonneville.
Dont tell me I dont know how to drive, Ive drove a standard Jeep for 6 years no problem with the tranny and a Porsche for 2 years with no problems so I think I know how to drive.

John Higgins wrote:Synchros go out because of bad driving.

Tuesday, July 12, 2005 8:09 PM

True!!

FU Tuning

Thursday, July 14, 2005 5:26 PM
my 2nd gear went out at 6k. got it fixed under warrenty. this was before i went turbo. but they didnt say anythign about my intake, header, exhaust, or any mods to the car.

Friday, July 15, 2005 9:19 AM
Most dealers will not put in an aftermarket clutch because they can't warranty it or the work. One guy some old people may know Spitz the dealer made him sign some sort of waiver if they put in a clutch that was not GM

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Friday, July 15, 2005 9:21 AM
Most dealers will not put in an aftermarket clutch because they can't warranty it or the work. One guy some old people may know Spitz the dealer made him sign some sort of waiver if they put in a clutch that was not GM

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Tuesday, July 19, 2005 7:31 PM

ill agree with that, most of the time its the driver

i dont have the getrag but damn it sounds like alot of you guys have problems with it....maybe im better off with the izuzu? i got like 83K and the trans is fine

Thursday, July 21, 2005 2:00 PM
im running the getrag and my second use to grind but since I changed my Trans fluid to Mobil1 ATF Synthetic oil my problem is solved. Im pretty the problem is due to the Cheap Trans fluid they put from the factory.

Also the rattle from the Getrag is now gone.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
My Car Specs
Club J-Body Montreal Forums
Saturday, July 23, 2005 2:42 PM
Well it worked for about 2 days after I got it back, on the way home from the Bash the tranny blew up again. Jake Sweeney has had it 6 weeks now, they have rebuilt it 4 times, I got a call from them last weds and they said the problem is not with the synchros and that something wrong with the 2nd gear is causing them to wear out, so they are going to rebuild it again and see if it works.

What could be wrong with the second gear that is causing the synchros on the 3rd gear to be eating themselves up and breaking the spacer rings??

6 F'N weeks I have been without my Cavy! Now summer is almost over, F'N-A!!!

Sunday, July 24, 2005 2:37 PM
If you have to rebuild a tranny more than once in a few weeks, something is seriously wrong. I am betting that your transmission case is messed up and has casting flaws. Some of the shafts may be misaligned because of this. No rebuild will ever fix a defective tranny case. Sounds to me like you need to tell them to quit screwing around and order you a new transmission.
Sunday, July 24, 2005 3:24 PM
I have asked this from about the second week but GM refuses to replace it with a new transimission and keeps telling the dealer to attempt to repair it. GM does not want dealers just replacing broken transmissions with new ones every time one blows up. So the try to force the dealers to fix them, and of course add technical incompetance when it comes to this fairly new transmission and you lose your Cavalier for 6+ weeks.
All I hear from people is Blah blah blah, learn to drive you idiot, nobody is giving me the benefit of the doubt that there is actually something flawed with the transmission. Since the first time they rebuilt it, over a year and a half ago at 9000 miles it has always been terrible sloppy, Im not sure if the linkages weren't adjusted right, but at times it would almost pop out of gear.
I have been in contact with GMs customer warranty service rep., He basically does nothing other than update me with what the dealer has to say, and I can do that myself.

Nobody is taking this seriously, if its not fixed right at the end of the week Im going to take my story to the local presses and see if someone wants to investigate. Then Im going to get a lawyer and have the transmission completely replaced.

It has been rebuilt close to 5 times(still not working), even if they get it working I have the feeling it is going to be screwed up and Ill make it past my 12 month warranty if Im lucky.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search