Getrag full metal shifter (interest?) - Page 2 - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Getrag full metal shifter (interest?)
Tuesday, August 24, 2010 6:53 PM
i'm interest in isuzu and i have a spare shift assembly, but i'm located in canada so shipping might be a little high.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 9:30 PM
I was just thinking how much mine feels like bubblegum.

thanks Vince for pointing this out.

** FOR SALE** http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=24&i=110879&t=110879
Tuesday, August 24, 2010 11:30 PM
worked on the cage and the sidearm today.

made a few more changes to the design in order to maintain smoothness. This will also ensure that the bearings do the rotational work and NOT have the shafts/ screws turning inside them.

interesting development.. the shifter assembly DOES have a centering spring but it doesn't really do much. I removed it and reinstalled in the skwirl to see how it effected shifter centering and it didn't seem to matter much.

I also hit a bit of a snag with the spherical bearings that are going to adapt the shifter cables to the shifter. It turns out they are reverse threaded so I have to back peddle a little bit so far as those are concerned but nothing major.

Depending on how the new spherical bearings act I may add 2 additional bearings where they connect to the sidearm and the stick in order to garauntee that the rotation is on a bearing surface and NOT a shaft/ screw spinning inside of something.

the design is getting better and better. I've even made sure that it is able to be easily disassembled and serviced if ever it needs to be (bearings replaced, etc).

I also made a design change on the stick again in order to make sure that its movement is on a bearing and NOT a spinning shaft/ screw.

everything is looking really really good.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 3:06 AM
I'm totally interested, if your pricing is indeed similar to the B&M after all is said and done, I'd definitely be in for 2, one for my ride and the wife's Z.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 9:27 AM
I almost want a 5-speed car to have one of these. Cool stuff PJ.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 6:38 PM
wow. very nice work and very cool too.

i'm totally sold if one for the Isuzu ever comes about. until then, best of luck with this one!

Thursday, August 26, 2010 2:46 PM
ok... after getting my new stuff for the cable adapters I found out something... they aren't threaded, its just like a thread pitch "tooth" pattern. If you spin the cable the teeth don't go anywhere. so the new stuff I bought still won't fit.

I've come up with a very low-tech solution to the problem. So we still won't be using any of the stock hardware (I refuse to use the plastic/ rubber cable adapters that the stock shifter uses). And ultimately may cost less than my original idea.

I'm still working on the stick design. Getting slowly more complete as time rolls on. This weekend may have been a bit overzealous, but I should have a functioning prototype in the very near future.

Thursday, August 26, 2010 2:51 PM
Your work is truly appreciated! I will get one when you get it made. Will this work with all Getrags (01 2200 5 Spd) ? Thanks!

--------------------------
NCR-SCCA
Thursday, August 26, 2010 3:52 PM
Quote:

Your work is truly appreciated! I will get one when you get it made. Will this work with all Getrags (01 2200 5 Spd) ? Thanks!

The 2200 trans is the same as the ECO trans (the getrag) except for the bellhousing. It will work.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Thursday, August 26, 2010 4:40 PM
Chelotus Cav wrote:Your work is truly appreciated! I will get one when you get it made. Will this work with all Getrags (01 2200 5 Spd) ? Thanks!

yup, anything that uses the F23 getrag can use this shifter OHV, Z24 and eco. I'm pretty sure the getrag was from 2000-2005 so it should be good to go in anything.

quick poll...

1) sell with or without shift knob?

without a knob will keep costs down. I've personally wanted to try a 2" weighted ball knob for a while but they tend to push anywhere from $50-$100 almost.

2) how important are threads on the stick? do you plan on using a threaded shift knob or a slip-fit (set screws) style?

I figure if I thread the end of the stick for 7/16-20 it'll give the maximum flexibility because you can use either a threaded knob (such as our stock knob(the plastic will thread on) or the B&M knob or anything that fits the B&M shifter) or a slip fit knob.

Thursday, August 26, 2010 5:25 PM
Pretty spiffy there PJ.

I <3 JGM
I think bigfoot is blurry,
that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry. And that's extra
scary to me. There's a large, out-of-focus monster, roaming the countryside.
"Run! He's fuzzy!" "Get outta here!"

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005

Thursday, August 26, 2010 6:08 PM
I'd like threaded, I really want to just run a standard white summit racing ball knob.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Friday, August 27, 2010 5:35 AM
Definitely interested in this, I'm getting tired of all the play in my B&M!!

I would say sell with out shift knob since I know I would definitely use my current one, and as far as I'm concerned, threads are not important.

Keep up the great work!!

Friday, August 27, 2010 6:27 AM
I'd be in for one as long as the stock shift boot and shift knob can be used. Also with this have a smooth feel to it? I don't want something that's going to make driving the car almost a chore even though it's upgraded. Kinda like lower motor mounts. They work great but after a while, the vibes and extra noise just weren't worth it to me.

Friday, August 27, 2010 11:57 AM
Interested...

Friday, August 27, 2010 1:05 PM
what are the chances this could be slightly modified to fit an isuzu? ive been dying for a solid shifter assembly for this thing

Friday, August 27, 2010 2:24 PM
I need to see the isuzu shifter assembly in order to figure that out. I basically just copied the stock mechanism and simplified it slightly and raised it up to shorten the throw (distance added under the pivot point decreases shift throw) so I'm adding almost 2" under the pivot which should reduce throw by a LOT.

MiniTransAm/02WS6TA wrote:I'd be in for one as long as the stock shift boot and shift knob can be used. Also with this have a smooth feel to it? I don't want something that's going to make driving the car almost a chore even though it's upgraded. Kinda like lower motor mounts. They work great but after a while, the vibes and extra noise just weren't worth it to me.

with the bearings and rod ends it should be smoother by a long shot. effort is going to be another story but that is directly tied to the distance from the pivot. I need to test out the functional prototype but I want to keep effort relatively light but eliminate the sloppiness in the shifter and shorten the throw more.

with the bearings the stick would spin like a helicopter and spin true. I think it's going to be a monumental difference from stock and B&M/ B&M knockoff shifters.

the only thing i could see possibly being an issue is the stock and B&M knobs are flared for the reverse lockout.. my shifter won't have that so it'll be flared out for no reason. Could possibly look silly.

A 2" ball knob would look sweet tho and I did find a relatively cheap one that has the 5 speed pattern on the top. I don't believe its weighted tho.

the stock boot would also work with the shifter very easily, but I may have to put a collar or something on the stick in order to keep the boot from sinking down. This may also have the effect of stopping it from getting ripped up but I'm getting ahead of myself.. this will all be revealed with more testing.

Friday, August 27, 2010 3:37 PM
prototype tease time.

all I need to do is make the baseplate and frame.

Friday, August 27, 2010 4:36 PM
Why couldn't you have come up with this before I lost the 'fire? I would definitly have gotten one!

I miss my Sunfire, I want it back!
MMMM, HIDs
You will be missed.
Friday, August 27, 2010 5:56 PM
This is pretty cool. I'm interested as soon as I can get some cash rolling in.
Also isn't the b&m shift knob, m12x1.75 thread. pretty sure mine was as my subaru knob fit perfect in the cav, and the b&m knob fit perfect in the suby. my sti piston shift knob also fit the b&m.
Friday, August 27, 2010 6:58 PM
no i don't think so. 7/16-20.. I screwed one into the knob and checked the stick with a thread gauge and it is def 7/16-20

12mm is 0.4724"
7/16 is 0.4375"

so they're sorta close... could be that one does fit the other.. not sure

Saturday, August 28, 2010 9:23 AM
the sti piston shift knob also uses a plastic adapter that threads on the shaft to hold the boot up and then the knob threads onto the adapter. (have one in my wrx)

pj... are you still having problems tracking down the rod ends that you originally wanted to use? if you shoot me a pm with the specs I can take a look at work on monday to see if i can track down what you're looking for. (i work for an industrial distributor and we are authorized for alot of different bearing brands.)

Saturday, August 28, 2010 10:25 AM
na it was the cables that was the problem. I was trying to match the threads only to find out that they aren't threads. No big deal I made different style cable adapters so no worries man but thanks =)

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 6:48 AM
awesome...definitely interested

When complete i'll take one and more than likely a second if it's not too pricey

-Joseph
Tuesday, August 31, 2010 5:29 PM
DaFlyinSkwirl (Pj) v2.0 wrote:
Chelotus Cav wrote:I've personally wanted to try a 2" weighted ball knob for a while but they tend to push anywhere from $50-$100 almost.

Don't you work in a machine shop, PJ? I'm not sure how much weight you are looking for, but can't you just cut-drill-thread a trailer hitch ball?

I have no signiture
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search