Exedy or LuK - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Exedy or LuK
Monday, March 29, 2010 7:49 AM
I've been looking around for a clutch when I replace the transmission this coming week. I found two that I've heard great things about on dial-a-clutch.
One is an exedy clutch kit for $282.09 and the LuK is $412.65
If I go with the exedy I plan to purchase the Team Green LSD insert, as long as I can install the part...
Any advice on the two?

Re: Exedy or LuK
Monday, March 29, 2010 6:09 PM
bump?

Monday, March 29, 2010 8:14 PM
I'd say go with the luk clutch since I've heard they usually handle quite a bit of abuse. I don't know much about the exedy clutch, but considering how much cheaper it is I would imagine it would be quite popular if it could withstand the same abuse. I could be wrong though, and I hope I am because I would love to get a cheap clutch that is actually reliable.

As far as the lsd insert goes, if you can open up a transmission you should be about to figure out how to install it. If not I know I've seen atleast one good thread here with pictures of one being installed.

Help support the JBO! CLICK HERE!
Monday, March 29, 2010 9:11 PM
I vote Luk. Pulled a Exedy/Daikin out of my car that chattered like hell taking off.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 7:02 AM
where do you guy's vote to order the LuK? other than dial a clutch..

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 3:14 PM
Anyone know where to pick up the LuK?

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 3:24 PM
I hvae a luk pro gold in mine and i love it....

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 4:56 PM
Got mine from carolinaclutch.com

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 5:12 PM
Can't find one on there for the Ecotec model....
Any other takers?

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 9:37 PM
free bump, interested in this as well..

Thursday, April 01, 2010 3:23 PM
I found a place in Michigan that sells them. I was referred to them by LuK.
Transtar Industries
13112 Waco Court
Livonia, MI 48150
(800) 356-1590

Thursday, April 01, 2010 8:23 AM
I found a place in Michigan that sells them. I was referred to them by LuK.
Transtar Industries
13112 Waco Court
Livonia, MI 48150
(800) 356-1590

Wednesday, April 07, 2010 3:28 PM
If you want the exedy PM us which part number and we will get you a price.

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Wednesday, April 07, 2010 3:38 PM
I bought my Luk clutch from some guy in florida when my spec p.o.s. when out on my 02 ecotec .Great clutch so far, im gonna try and find the receipt and post or pm you the info.

peformance parts for sale!! Click:
http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/engine/62265/
Saturday, April 10, 2010 12:21 AM
ive had the luk on for quite some time now. its outlasted 2 turbo motors and is still strong on my supercharged motor. countless track runs and daily driven (which with me is the same as at the track)

ive heard mixed reviews about the exedy. yes its cheaper but like posted above many people complain about clutch chatter. that could just be due to their incompetence though

Eat my shift
Sunday, April 18, 2010 12:00 PM
Stay away from exedy. I had it and it was crap. On the 98 2200 it gives you a Chrysler clutch disc. All the dimensions are the same as the Gm disc except for a flange that is thicker on the Gm one. The lack of this flange caused my Exedy slave to blow out within 1000 miles. I replaced it with a Spec stage 1 and have had zero problems.

The Outlaw
98 Pontiac Sunfire (Christine)
2200 5spd
Red with Black racing stripes.

Don't let the punks get to you. If they can't say anything helpful its because they probably
have VERY LITTLE IF ANY MECHANICAL SKILLS . Talking crap is just their way of hiding that
fact. They figure the more crap they say the less likley anyone will know how dumb they are.
Sunday, July 11, 2010 5:32 PM
I have an exedy OEM replacement I believe ( had mechanic do it because my factory clutch went to $h!t.) I have over 5000 miles on it and it take some daily driving abuse ( Long Island is brutal to clutches). I haven't had a problem.

I have noticed however, and my Z also did it with the factory clutch that sometimes the clutch would vibrate as I am shifting into gears and would sound like a chatter. I know little about cars. Is there an explanation for this?
Sunday, July 11, 2010 9:09 PM
i put almost 40k on my OEM replacement Exedy/Daikin clutch. just dropped my tranny last week not knowing what clutch was in there (i didnt install it) and to my surprise it was the exact same one i bought for my new build. i've never had a single problem with it. very consistant engagement, no chatter, and after looking it over it wore very nicely. especially for being driven decently hard on a daily basis for the past 40k. i would have no hesitation about even putting this clutch back in and going for another 50k+ with the same driving style, had i not already bought another Exedy/Daikin OEM replacement. from first hand experience, its not a bad clutch at all.
i've heard nothing but good things about Luk though. they've been known to hold some good power, and take a hell of a beating as well. i originally wanted a Luk for my new setup. but when i ordered it from some ebay store i was shipped an Exedy instead. i was a little hesitant about it until i dropped my tranny last week. now i have little to no doubts about putting it in.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 6:13 PM
Exedy/Daiken and LuK are all the same clutch. Chances are that if you compare one of them to your stock clutch it will even have identical markings. Every stock clutch I have removed from my cars has been marked with the same PN and two of them were even stamped LuK.

I put an Exedy in my 98 and I have an Exedy waiting to go into my 02.

Friday, July 16, 2010 2:07 PM
I prefer Exedy. I have used them in my 2.4L LD9 cav and my 2.2L Ecotec Cav. Both times they lasted a long time and I wasn't easy on my cars.

Milt Burns, milt@neverenoughauto.com 877-609-6727
Thursday, September 23, 2010 11:26 AM
Just pulled a Daiken from my Sunfire (2002 / 2200 / Getrag) and that lasted 180000 KM's. The previous owner was abusive with this car, but the disc seemed to have held up pretty well. Currently breaking in my KGM08 kit right now.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 9:47 AM
if your looking to go lsd you obviously want to beat on the trans
if you have the f23 i would recommend a ACT disc. i am running a ACT 6 puck disc with new GM flywheel, pressure plate, and i couldnt be happier. grabs like hell, no chatter at all. amazing set up together

running rich? turn the boost up
Thursday, October 21, 2010 3:59 PM
just bought my LUK set at pepboys for 400 bucks

"A goal without a plan is just a wish"
Thursday, October 21, 2010 6:20 PM
try looking on ebay. i picked up a brand new gm flywheel, new pressure plate and new luk clutch for 160 shipped

running rich? turn the boost up
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search