4t40e problem - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
4t40e problem
Friday, October 29, 2010 2:47 AM
okay, here it goes.

First major problem I've had out of my car

First it would just rev and not engage(almost like it was in neutral) when going from 2nd to 3rd.
Like it was majorly slipping, problem was it was not slipping between any other gears.
I would have to let off the gas completely and just wait a while till I felt it finally go into 3rd, then hit the gas again.
3rd to 4th is no problem..

Then the next day it started to rev and not actually move when pulling away from a dead stop.
It will slightly move but stay at about 3k then gradually start to roll, and once it gets up to the speed 1st is supposed to be at at 3k it acts normal.
So that makes me think torque converter.

But that doesn't explain the 2nd to 3rd problem.

Ideas?
It's been sitting for a couple weeks now because I thought my friend had a spare tranny that I was just going to throw into it but turns out no luck.
I actually miss my car...
Who would have thought

Re: 4t40e problem
Friday, October 29, 2010 5:57 AM
i dont know much about these trannys, but it sounds to me like maybe the tranny is going out? or maybe like you said it could be the torque converter

Friday, October 29, 2010 9:43 AM
I had the same sort of problem, check the wiring harness in front down around the rad, there was a splice pack in their that was totally rotted out on mine.
Friday, October 29, 2010 12:24 PM
well im sure you prolly already know but just in case go ahead and check the IAT sensor and its wiring. having a malfunction with it causes a lot of weird issues with our autos.

and like others have said... could even be the trans. i know that sucks to hear but it could be.

Underdog Racing
Monday, November 08, 2010 12:37 PM
I would begin by checking all the wiring and such as suggested previously. Alot of times transmission issues can be routed to control issues as a main cause. If the transmission eventually falls into gear and stops slipping I would bet you have a restricted feed hole going to the direct clutch or a severly worn direct clutch or a bad connection somewhere.

I will get you some more information later... any codes set?

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Monday, November 08, 2010 12:54 PM
z yaaaa wrote:well im sure you prolly already know but just in case go ahead and check the IAT sensor and its wiring. having a malfunction with it causes a lot of weird issues with our autos.

and like others have said... could even be the trans. i know that sucks to hear but it could be.

My guess, as well.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, November 08, 2010 3:33 PM
No codes.
I checked the IAT. and all wiring.
Checks out.
I'm gonna take off the interceptor and check all the wiring going to the trans tomorrow.

Let me know Alex, I have a spare trans, but I'm not wanting to put it in just yet, not enough time or place to do it at the moment...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search