5 spd swap question - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
5 spd swap question
Thursday, September 30, 2010 9:48 AM
hey i currently have an 02 sunfire with 2200 OHV and 4 spd auto. im wanting to do a 3400 swap, and at the same time id like to do a 5 spd swap.

my question is, would i have to weld in some tranny mounts for the manual? that sounds like itd be quite hard because they have to be precisely in the right spot.

Re: 5 spd swap question
Friday, October 01, 2010 2:37 AM
No welding needed just use factory mounting points. But.... as with any custom application if you need to weld anything like motor mounts or tranny mounts the only "exact" spot anything needs to be is where you choose, which can be virtually anywhere
Friday, October 01, 2010 6:04 AM
Ryan Thompson wrote:No welding needed just use factory mounting points. But.... as with any custom application if you need to weld anything like motor mounts or tranny mounts the only "exact" spot anything needs to be is where you choose, which can be virtually anywhere

what do you mean factory mounting points? i thought there was supposed to be 2 mounts welded onto the driver side frame rail? which mine doesnt currently have.
Friday, October 01, 2010 7:00 AM
Your original mounts will not work for a manual tranny.

Cut out your stock mounts and weld in the manual trans mounts in the correct places.

They don't have to be 100% exact, but get them as close to the stock location that you can. Measure measure measure.

Friday, October 01, 2010 7:19 AM
Mike wrote:Your original mounts will not work for a manual tranny.

Cut out your stock mounts and weld in the manual trans mounts in the correct places.

They don't have to be 100% exact, but get them as close to the stock location that you can. Measure measure measure.

well how will i know where to weld the new mounts? haha,
Friday, October 01, 2010 8:37 AM
take pictures of where you cut the ones off the donor car. then measure measure measure.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Friday, October 01, 2010 9:12 AM
does anyone have pics or measurements of them? cause i dont think ill beable to get a donor car or beable to keep it at my house.
Friday, October 01, 2010 3:04 PM
Hmmm.... there's no pre drilled holes from the factory?
Friday, October 01, 2010 4:05 PM
Ryan Thompson wrote:Hmmm.... there's no pre drilled holes from the factory?

i have no idea, i thought they were all welded on
Friday, October 01, 2010 4:11 PM
You don't even need a donor car for one of the mounts. But, you can just go to the junkyard, Find a car with what you need. Take everything that your car doesn't have, but will need to use a 5 speed. And put it in your car.

When removing the mounts from another car, Take measurements of where they are on the chassis, grind/cut/whatever them off. Use those same measurements on your car when welding them in place. Take some pictures if you want.

No pre-drilled holes for the manual tranny mounts (There may be on an automatic, but I don't recall). They are large tabs coming out of the frame rail.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, October 01, 2010 4:15 PM

Friday, October 01, 2010 4:20 PM
Mike wrote:You don't even need a donor car for one of the mounts. But, you can just go to the junkyard, Find a car with what you need. Take everything that your car doesn't have, but will need to use a 5 speed. And put it in your car.

When removing the mounts from another car, Take measurements of where they are on the chassis, grind/cut/whatever them off. Use those same measurements on your car when welding them in place. Take some pictures if you want.

No pre-drilled holes for the manual tranny mounts (There may be on an automatic, but I don't recall). They are large tabs coming out of the frame rail.

yeah i was looking at that mount you linked. is that a good price you think?

and what do i need to pickup:
-pedals
-tranny
-shift cables
-shifter/center console
-rear trans mount
-cv shafts from same tranny

anything else?

Friday, October 01, 2010 4:24 PM
Look on here I did a write up with the measurments and a how to---i think it was called getrag swap.
Friday, October 01, 2010 4:28 PM
I think it is a little pricey for a piece of steel you could grind off at the junkyard for like $6.

But that's just me. TTR is a great company to go through in any case.

Friday, October 01, 2010 5:45 PM
Aah guess I never knew that, but I have never owned a car that wasn't already a 5speed...
Saturday, October 02, 2010 12:43 AM
Try my old swap page: http://members.shaw.ca/johnz24/

Saturday, October 02, 2010 5:10 AM
that really makes me want to buy a car that already has a 5 spd in it...seems like it would take me longer than desired to do.
Monday, October 04, 2010 5:58 PM
Mike wrote:I think it is a little pricey for a piece of steel you could grind off at the junkyard for like $6.

Junk yards have less than $200 invested in an entire car, they dont have to make much on each part to make money back.

Ours our new, created from scratch, that is a complete ready to go solution, and no fuss.

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Friday, October 29, 2010 3:26 PM
Turbo Tech Racing wrote:
Mike wrote:I think it is a little pricey for a piece of steel you could grind off at the junkyard for like $6.

Junk yards have less than $200 invested in an entire car, they dont have to make much on each part to make money back.

Ours our new, created from scratch, that is a complete ready to go solution, and no fuss.

Well, Of course junkyards get cars cheap. And even if yours is new, It doesn't really matter. You can find clean mounts all day. Someone getting that involved in a car will have enough common sense to grind off a clean, rust free mount. And how do you figure it is no fuss? You still have to prep the area, measure, weld it in place, clean it up, and coat the surface.

Personally, I will take the one extra step, and grind the mount off another car to save another $70. (And that is even with the current sale price. Wait till the price goes back up another $20)

Monday, November 01, 2010 10:58 PM
^thats just personal preference.

I for one have to drive about an hour to get to the nearest yard that I can pull my own parts. Add in the time of me actually cutting that mount off the car, and its no longer worth my time. If I had spent the same amount of time working, I could have used that money to buy the mount and still make a profit. Not to mention some people are glad to pay extra for convenience. Again that all depends on your financial situation, but there is no reason to bash TTR's mount, the price is reasonable.
Tuesday, November 02, 2010 2:59 PM
D.Simoes wrote:^thats just personal preference.

I for one have to drive about an hour to get to the nearest yard that I can pull my own parts. Add in the time of me actually cutting that mount off the car, and its no longer worth my time. If I had spent the same amount of time working, I could have used that money to buy the mount and still make a profit. Not to mention some people are glad to pay extra for convenience. Again that all depends on your financial situation, but there is no reason to bash TTR's mount, the price is reasonable.

In addition there are NOT that many manual tranny J-bodys around. 90%+ were factory autos

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Tuesday, November 02, 2010 11:46 PM
Turbo Tech Racing wrote:In addition there are NOT that many manual tranny J-bodys around. 90%+ were factory autos

IDK about that figure.. just looking up 2000 Cavalier coupes, for example... 115,198 total made... 18,459 were 5-speed manuals, 66,123 were 3-speed autos and 30,616 were 4 speed autos. That makes 16% manuals...

Wednesday, November 03, 2010 12:19 AM
John Lenko wrote:
Turbo Tech Racing wrote:In addition there are NOT that many manual tranny J-bodys around. 90%+ were factory autos

IDK about that figure.. just looking up 2000 Cavalier coupes, for example... 115,198 total made... 18,459 were 5-speed manuals, 66,123 were 3-speed autos and 30,616 were 4 speed autos. That makes 16% manuals...

16% is still pretty damn low, thanks for the info though. Always good to have accurate information.
Sunday, November 07, 2010 6:33 PM
D.Simoes wrote:
John Lenko wrote:

16% is still pretty damn low, thanks for the info though. Always good to have accurate information.

Come on now guys, We are talking about a mass produced car... That's 16% out of how many hundreds of thousands? And if you are using the comp nine site, That also excludes sunfires IIRC. Which brings that number even higher. Just to humor you guys...

On average, There were about 200,000 (Cavaliers specifically, Coupes and sedans) produced each year (Some years were over 300,000). And on average about 20,000 a year going outside the states. And even with your average of 10% coming with manuals, Aaron. That is 2000 a year, For 10 years, making a rough 200,000 total with a manual tranny. And sunfires with an average production of 100,000 a year, And even less leaving the states. With manual transmission percentages hanging close to 20% during the mid 90's. So we will say just 10% came with a manual, even that adds 10,000 a year on to our total of 200,000 manual cavaliers. I'm sure John can agree with most of these numbers also. If not, correct me where I am wrong. But this proves 16% is still a large figure when talking about J-body production

My point is, There are a ton of clean junkyard mounts. It's not some uber rare part. Just don't try to play it off like they can't be found easily.

Also, I am not bashing TTR, and their price is not reasonable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, November 07, 2010 6:35 PM

Sunday, November 07, 2010 11:21 PM
I did say that was just 2000 Cavalier coupes... not Sunfires.. not sedans... not Z24 coupes.. not convertibles (which were a very low % in that 2000 model year...).

I don't feel like looking up all the variants.. but the bottom line, as you say.. they're not hard to find.

Monday, November 08, 2010 7:15 AM
John Lenko wrote:I did say that was just 2000 Cavalier coupes... not Sunfires.. not sedans... not Z24 coupes.. not convertibles (which were a very low % in that 2000 model year...).

I don't feel like looking up all the variants.. but the bottom line, as you say.. they're not hard to find.

You did say that, And I didn't note it in my ramblings. Though I do always trust your info, John.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search