Thrust-bearing keeps blowing out - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Thrust-bearing keeps blowing out
Saturday, June 18, 2011 9:42 PM
Okay, so there was a similar thread (here) , but its probably a good idea to start something new, since mine is a different issue and his was resolved.

Long story short (as i can make it)....
Driving home last Tuesday, from base.
I noticed after only a few minutes before I'm on the highway, my clutch feels funny, but its working....almost like it wasnt pushing out as much (probably when it started losing pressure).
Withing 5 minutes, on the highway, it goes out. At 70mph, clutch goes to the floor as I down-shift into 4th and doesnt come back up.
I coast off the highway.
Clutch pedal is stuck, I pull it out with my foot, push it in, sticks again.
I open the hood, check my clutch reservior, and its over half full.
I go back, pump the pedal by hand, it stiffens a little, but then as soon as I go to actually switch gears again, it sticks again.
Then the fluid in the reservior is completely empty.
Call a friend, brings me some DOT3 brake fluid. I fill it up, pump it until it stays, and then top the fluid off again.
Sticks again after one or two pumps.
Finally I noticed there is fluid dripping out like a faucet, at the bottom of the differential case (i think, lowest point on the car). It looks as if its coming out of it, but I couldnt tell.
Checked all the lines, and the line into the transmission, no leakage. So i dont know where its coming from, but its getting dark so i cant see.
Tow truck takes it to his shop after a few hours of being stranded, and I wait until the next day.

He says the Slave cylinder is bad. Replaced it.
Then it blows, says the Master cylinder is bad, replaced it.
Then says 'hey, whiles its out, lets do the clutch and clutch kit' (only charges $200 extra for all parts and labor! good deal).
re-assembles everything with new master/slave cylinders, lines, fluids, clutch parts, and it blows.
Then we put in a new FlyWheel because he said it was worn about 3.47mm.
Re-assembles it, and the thrust-bearing blows AGAIN!

he now is baffled. Chevy and GM dealerships, transmission shops, and a bunch of performance shop mechanics all cant figure it out.

Thats where Im at now. Every time it is assembled with new parts from the clutch pedal to the FlyWheel, it simply blows out.

anyone got any idea? he also 'warranted' out the slave cylinder incase it was bad. the 'diaphragm spring' which is the disc that pushes the pressure plate into the clutch plate, is new and not bent.
the only idea right now is the 'input shaft' or something else we cant think of.
According to my mechanic, GM has a massive 'campaign' regarding this issue too, but its not a 'recall' so no help there.

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.

Re: Thrust-bearing keeps blowing out
Thursday, June 30, 2011 5:08 PM
thats not a thrust bearing for the record it call through out bearing

thrust bearing it the bearing on the crankshaft that has side shoulders on it

are they bleeding the clutch properly. are they getting the right parts for the year cause 99 and older wont work in 00 and newer. if you have all new stuff then its something there doing wrong

JBO since July 30, 2001
Thursday, June 30, 2011 5:25 PM
I had this SAME problem with Shifted's car and could not figure it out. i believe the throw out bearing to be overextending somehow but dont know why or what causes it.

Thursday, July 07, 2011 1:40 PM
Machining tolerances possibly? I have read about Eco's with the Getrag having the issue with some spec clutches. There was a local guy I believed he was told by spec to measure the resting gap between the TOB and pressure plate. If it was more than a certain distance, to shim it to be within specifications. Unfortunately I do not know what the numbers were.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 12:22 PM
Hey first post and I am running my mouth haha.

I had the same problem happen to my 05 Sunfire. I could not figure it out until I pulled the clutch and compared it side by side to the old one. It was a stage 3 kit and was supposed to be good for my year but the spring was a few mm skinnier than the stock. That caused the throw out bearing to over extend and blow. If the clutch plates are all the same size and the throw out bearings are the same size then I got nothing.

-I drive my car to work-
Thursday, July 21, 2011 10:28 AM
I meant throw-out bearing, dont know why i said thrust bearing lol..
I think it is the clutch itself, because the guy said GM/Chevy had like 7 or 8 different clutches that 'could' work for an 04. he bought an OEM one that kept blowing, so tried a different one.
Well he thought he got the right one this time, it worked for a few hours, and the throw-out bearing blew on me again while i was driving it. This time we noticed there was a small leak at the base of the clutch fluid reservoir where the hose comes up from the Master cylinder.

He had his guy watch it, and sure enough, every time it blows, there's an air bubble that comes up..so its seaping air into the line. I have someone trying to get me the reservoir/hose, which apparently is very hard to find (without buying the whole Master Cylinder assembly for $150).

I didnt think air in the line would cause the throw-out bearing to be able to extend and leak...but I guess I'm wrong..? I would just assume it'd go to the floor because it wouldnt have any pressure in the line..but why would no fluid cause it to actually LEAK?

Its VERY frustrating...Im having to pay money and he cant even fix it, and I've been driving around my G37S which eats like $65 worth of gas every 3 days! Im broke, so I hope this new reservoir/hose works, and it stops leaking..cause you never know where/when it could happen..and I dont wanna be stranded for 5 hours again in the Texas heat...

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Monday, July 25, 2011 9:48 AM
I'm not sure that you problem is an existing leak. My throw out bearing starting pushing bubbles into my reservoir right before it blew and it was because the throw out bearing was over extending. Check you part numbers and call the manufacture directly , your mechanic saying "GM/Chevy had like 7 or 8 different clutches that 'could' work for an 04" sounds mighty sketchy.

To summarize: part #s then call the manufacture. A few MMs difference can make it all fall apart

-I drive my car to work-
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search