what is better about the getrag over the isuzu?? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
what is better about the getrag over the isuzu??
Wednesday, July 06, 2011 10:17 PM
I read alot of people are swaping there isuzu for the getrag my question is why what makes it better ? thanks guys

Re: what is better about the getrag over the isuzu??
Wednesday, July 06, 2011 10:33 PM
The syncros in the isuzu stock are junk. Shifts harder. The getrag shifts smoother. No grinding when you put it into reverse because the reverse gear is also syncroed. I also believe the getrag is stronger, but have heard some complaints about the differential going to crap because of wheel hop. Search the forums about this subject. Just type "isuzu vs getrag" in the search box up top and you can get a lot more info for yourself.

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 10:43 PM
ill look it up I typed in why getrag is better than the isuzu nut nothing came up I guess I shouldve been a little less direct. my car has a 5sp has a dip stick and is a 96 from what I've gathered its an isuzu right?
Wednesday, July 06, 2011 11:01 PM
yep. all 1995-1999 j-body 5-speeds are isuzu. All 2000 and up 5-speeds are getrag.

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 11:10 PM
Isuzu 4 life!

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Wednesday, July 06, 2011 11:19 PM
SHOoff wrote:Isuzu 4 life!

isuzu til it dies for me, lol. Getrag sitting in my garage til that day comes...

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 11:25 PM
how many miles can I expect from the isuzu? I have 210000.just did clutch 2k miles ago it wasnt slipping yet either and still shifts good
Wednesday, July 06, 2011 11:36 PM
Well, as long as your nice to it... It can last as long as your car. I only have 133,xxx on mine and no problems yet... but I am not nice to mine. Still going strong. 210,000 miles is A LOT of miles... As long as it is shifting into all gears and not popping out, I'd say keep it.

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 11:42 PM
yea it shifts great absolutely no issues. i dont beat the snot out of it but I occasionally shift hard and fast and have done a.couple dimp.clutches at 2k to smoke the tires and it.handles it like a pro
Wednesday, July 06, 2011 11:49 PM
Well that's good. Whenever you find time, you should add your car to your profile. Fill in all your mods and stuff you have done to it. I like to see what other people have done to their rides without asking. lol.

Monday, July 11, 2011 3:13 PM
My isuzu doesnt grind in reverse....you guys just need to learn to drive with an unsyncronized gear

Monday, July 11, 2011 3:23 PM
95LsCoupe wrote:My isuzu doesnt grind in reverse....you guys just need to learn to drive with an unsyncronized gear

First off, I do know how to drive and I do know how to pop it into gear smoothly. Secondly, I am one of the few people on here that does not give you a hard time at all. I don't post places saying YOU can't drive. Do I? Now I am beginning to understand why HardcoreXSunfire does not like you.

Monday, July 11, 2011 3:23 PM
95LsCoupe wrote:My isuzu doesnt grind in reverse....you guys just need to learn to drive with an unsyncronized gear

I always say, first before reverse, lol.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Wednesday, July 20, 2011 9:21 AM
I've destroyed both transmissions over the years....... Isuzus: I've destroyed diff's, Getrags: shift forks/syncros. I lean towards the Getrag because: you can get parts, more of them out there, easier to take apart, better over all design (trans itself, shifter assembly, hydrolics)

Just my opinion, but thats what you asked for.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Saturday, July 23, 2011 8:52 AM
ive had bad luck with isuzu's and their syncros like so many others.

although ive driven many j-bod's over the years with everything from the 3 spd auto to the older NVG-T550 and everything in between and i have to say i prefer the isuzu's shifts over the newer getrag. to me the getrag just seems notchy and harder to slam gears with. the NVG-T550 is the way to go if you have an LD9 though. its IMO the best trans, lasts the longest and has the best gear ratio's. however... the trade off is the fact they are getting HARD AS HELL to find and the ones you do find need rebuilt... and ive yet to find any replacement parts.

i also like the isuzu for the fact you can mix and match lots of ratios and diff's from other, more performance oriented vehicles to give you more options.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, July 23, 2011 8:53 AM

Sunday, July 24, 2011 9:48 AM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:i also like the isuzu for the fact you can mix and match lots of ratios and diff's from other, more performance oriented vehicles to give you more options.

this is the exact reason I'll be sticking with the Isuzu for my car. I personally find it's easier to play with over the Getrag. Also, I've seen a couple Getrags blow out oil from friends cars and customers at my current job.

my friend is giving me a trans from an Isuzu Impulse he's parting out and helping me build up the spare trans that I got.

JBO Stickers are back!!!! Click Me!!
Thursday, July 28, 2011 9:32 AM
SpeedRacerZ wrote:I've destroyed both transmissions over the years....... Isuzus: I've destroyed diff's, Getrags: shift forks/syncros. I lean towards the Getrag because: you can get parts, more of them out there, easier to take apart, better over all design (trans itself, shifter assembly, hydrolics)

That is pretty much the reason I am switching to a getrag. The parts for a rebuild are still available and though the Quiafe is hard to find, the OBX LSD seems to be doing well for people. I also had a chance to drive a supercharged 02, and it shifts soo much nicer than my Isuzu ever did ( stock or rebuilt )

-Z Yaaaa- wrote:ive had bad luck with isuzu's and their syncros like so many others.

although ive driven many j-bod's over the years with everything from the 3 spd auto to the older NVG-T550 and everything in between and i have to say i prefer the isuzu's shifts over the newer getrag. to me the getrag just seems notchy and harder to slam gears with. the NVG-T550 is the way to go if you have an LD9 though. its IMO the best trans, lasts the longest and has the best gear ratio's. however... the trade off is the fact they are getting HARD AS HELL to find and the ones you do find need rebuilt... and ive yet to find any replacement parts.

i also like the isuzu for the fact you can mix and match lots of ratios and diff's from other, more performance oriented vehicles to give you more options.

My first choice was the NVG-T550 since I do not have to change mounts, cables, etc. The other down side is if you do find parts, they are more expensive than F23 parts.

Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren
Thursday, July 28, 2011 9:41 AM
Blwn LD9 wrote:
SpeedRacerZ wrote:I've destroyed both transmissions over the years....... Isuzus: I've destroyed diff's, Getrags: shift forks/syncros. I lean towards the Getrag because: you can get parts, more of them out there, easier to take apart, better over all design (trans itself, shifter assembly, hydrolics)

That is pretty much the reason I am switching to a getrag. The parts for a rebuild are still available and though the Quiafe is hard to find, the OBX LSD seems to be doing well for people. I also had a chance to drive a supercharged 02, and it shifts soo much nicer than my Isuzu ever did ( stock or rebuilt )

One of our regular vendors has the quiafe listed on their site. I'll have to look again to see whom it is... but even still although its findable, its expensive. I'll be keeping the getrag in my car and eventually dropping the quaife in =) ....

I've never heard about getrags throwing diffs, however they throw synchros and the dog teeth rings all the time... especially from first to second, and from second to third...

F23 till i die =) ... that is unless someone figures out how to make an F35 work =P

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Thursday, July 28, 2011 9:43 AM

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 1:41 PM
Mystic02VA (GME Chat) wrote:that is unless someone figures out how to make an F35 work =P

Why so you can kill 3rd gear all the time? Not the synchro's the actual gears. The F23 is stronger than the F35. And it seems like only cobalt guys are murdering the synchros in f23s. I've heard f23's cracking the tranny case if you wheel hop the @!#$ out of them.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search