f23 transmission not turning axles - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
f23 transmission not turning axles
Thursday, November 10, 2011 5:49 PM
today it is raining and my car started to wheel hop, as it was, there was a pop noise like it popped out of gear and it wouldn't engage anymore. the clutch pedal is normal stiffness, the engine idle drops slightly as the clutch is disengaged and the the vss sensor is picking up speed, so i know none of the clutching mech. is not the problem. the axles are not popped out and make no effort to turn at all. all gears go in and out perfectly. anybody have any ideas?

running rich? turn the boost up

Re: f23 transmission not turning axles
Thursday, November 10, 2011 7:19 PM
Sounds like shattered spider gears, or an axle sheared off in the diff. Double check to make sure one of the axles didn't pop out

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Thursday, November 10, 2011 10:22 PM
Mine did the same thing at the track and it was the spider gears. Pop an axle shaft out and look inside, you'll know if it's the spiders.
Friday, November 11, 2011 3:33 AM
i jacked it up and pulled and pushed on the axles and they didnt budge but a 1/4 inch and they looked in the correct position, i will have to start tearing it apart tonight. if the spider gears are shattered, it that basically the trans that needs to be replaced or can they just be replaced

Friday, November 11, 2011 3:35 AM
and i do not know if this is related or not but when i got the car it had weapon r intake, b&m short throw, and magnaflow dual ehaust. i highly doubt the guy had a lsd or any insert in it but whenever i take off on road it will always spin both gears but if im in gravel it will only spin on

Friday, November 11, 2011 4:34 AM
You might be able to replace just the diff if you didnt make too much of a mess inside. I would say the whole case should get cleaned out the best you can. At worse its a new tranny.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Friday, November 11, 2011 7:29 AM
I blew a hole the size of a quarter on top of where the diff is in mine when it happened. Check to make sure it hasn't happened to you as well.
Friday, November 11, 2011 3:56 PM
My service writers husband owns a transmission shop and will help me with it for parts and nexT to nothing. So if it is a diff andi get the obx lsd. What do I need to tell him needs to be replaced to make it a quality piece

Friday, November 11, 2011 11:58 PM
At the VERY LEAST, you will need to get the LSD shimmed properly to make up for the differences in tolerances between the factory differential and the OBX LSD. Some may require machining and some wont. On the one I did in a Cobalt, it just took a .020" thinner shim on the speed sensor ring side bearing and no shim on the gear side bearing.

Some have dropped in the units untouched and some have completely disassembled and rebuilt theirs. On the Cobalt one we did, we literally just dropped it in with nothing done but shimming. 10K miles so far and no problems.

Saturday, November 12, 2011 5:25 AM
Roofy wrote:At the VERY LEAST, you will need to get the LSD shimmed properly to make up for the differences in tolerances between the factory differential and the OBX LSD. Some may require machining and some wont. On the one I did in a Cobalt, it just took a .020" thinner shim on the speed sensor ring side bearing and no shim on the gear side bearing.

Some have dropped in the units untouched and some have completely disassembled and rebuilt theirs. On the Cobalt one we did, we literally just dropped it in with nothing done but shimming. 10K miles so far and no problems.

Have you tried to take the axles out?

Saturday, November 12, 2011 7:28 AM
jmarks82 wrote:
Roofy wrote:At the VERY LEAST, you will need to get the LSD shimmed properly to make up for the differences in tolerances between the factory differential and the OBX LSD. Some may require machining and some wont. On the one I did in a Cobalt, it just took a .020" thinner shim on the speed sensor ring side bearing and no shim on the gear side bearing.

Have you tried to take the axles out?

As a matter of fact yes. When we put the LSD in, we changed the clutch, flywheel and flywheel bolts. Well the bolts that ZZP sent were wrong because the heads were too thick and were hitting the clutch plate, so we had to take the transmission and everything back out again. Needless to say I was quite pissed!!! Anyways, the axles came back out just fine, no problems whatsoever.

Saturday, November 12, 2011 12:40 PM
Here you go kev....link to obx rebuild

Monday, November 14, 2011 8:33 AM
thanks everybody. today i pulled the axles out and they look perfectly fine and were a little difficult to get out, definately not popped out. i looked inside the trans and where the axles slid into, the diff i beleive looks like it has fallen, it is not centered, it is dropped about a inch so you can only see half of the opening, anybody with thoughts or questions?

Monday, November 14, 2011 2:03 PM
Yup. Definitely something with the diff. I say spider gears

Thursday, November 24, 2011 11:03 PM
Yep, spider gears are toast!

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search