High rpm shifts - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
High rpm shifts
Saturday, August 25, 2012 6:38 AM
I recently had the Isuzu 5speed rebuilt in my 99 Z24 before gettin the car together. After havin the car tuned and moving the rev limiter to 7k I discovered that the tranny would not shift past about 6500rpm. I use synchromesh tranny fluid and check it all the time to make sure it's full but if I rev to 7000rpm and try to up shift it just grinds and will not go into gear. Is there a different fluid I should be using and something that I should do the tranny? I read about people spinning 7k or better all the time but my tranny just won't have.

Re: High rpm shifts
Saturday, August 25, 2012 12:40 PM
Sounds like clutch drag...

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Saturday, August 25, 2012 5:53 PM
Like a slave cylinder issue?
Sunday, August 26, 2012 8:35 AM
No. Clutch drag.

Short, you need a new clutch, may have cracked the disc, a plate bolt could be coming out... the "what if's " don't end.

its a isuzu trans.. that what? A half hour to get it out at with out a lift?

Don't over think, investigate.

I am assuming you did bleed the clutch out, and pumped the peddle back up, keeping the bottle full...

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 9:54 AM
sounds like good ole isuzu syncro grind to me...

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.
Tuesday, August 28, 2012 12:31 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:sounds like good ole isuzu syncro grind to me...

Solution to this? Lol or am I just gonna have to force it forever.

I'd like to upgrade clutches but money has become alittle tight for the rest of the year so it'll have to wait.
Sunday, September 23, 2012 11:17 AM
No help here, just shift at 6500. LOL If you find out what's doing it let us know.
My limiter was raised but I never wait to shift at it, but you have cammed it or what ever and that's why you want to shift at that high RPM.
I shift to my torque/hp curve which is about 6000 ish that way the next gear drops in at high tq/hp range.
Wednesday, September 26, 2012 10:48 AM
only fix is to rip apart the trans and replace the worn syncro rings, unfortunately.

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.
Wednesday, September 26, 2012 11:20 AM
I've been shifting at 6500 and it seems ok. I'm in the process of finding a spare tranny
Tuesday, October 23, 2012 9:47 PM
Ethan Duke wrote:I've been shifting at 6500 and it seems ok. I'm in the process of finding a spare tranny

Just buy a new one http://www.ebay.com/itm/130726288914?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I just bought one a few days ago, we'll see if it actually shows up this friday and how it works out.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search