blown transmission? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
blown transmission?
Sunday, November 04, 2012 7:28 PM
soo just wondering... ive put a few transmissions in the car (on #4 currently) and what im wondering is normally they have grenaded on me and thats an obvious sign.... tonight i was driving home and the car started slowing down and sounded like transmission slip/torque converter @!#$ign up that youd get with an automatic.... keep in mind mine is 5speed. so the car rolled to a stop... and then after a few mins i got it to go again until i went to back into the driveway.. it just sounds like grinding gears. will do in and out of gear without the use of the clutch. and even when its in neutral and you push the car it still sounds like grinding gears...

safe to say the differential is @!#$ or some kind of clutch problem not leting it engage...however still grinds in neutral while pushing?

My 3400 Swap Page

Re: blown transmission?
Monday, November 05, 2012 9:37 AM
I'd guess at blown diff. Mine was making a noise like that when the diff went bad. However, I believe everything in the trans moves anytime the output side moves. If you're in neutral the input just gets disconnected, so it could be anywhere.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Monday, November 05, 2012 4:02 PM
so i crawled under the car today.... and the CV shaft had sumhow popped out of the transmission? as soon as i put the cv back in i could move the car again, what would cause the cv shaft to pop out like it did? i didnt think that this was possible to be done on its own without the use of a pry bar.

also how do i check to see what else could be screwed? splins on the trans input? or just get a new shaft and trans should be fine?

My 3400 Swap Page
Tuesday, November 06, 2012 8:13 AM
Beings that you have a Getrag swap, my first guess would be the wrong length of axle, but I don't know if that's even possible.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Tuesday, November 06, 2012 9:21 AM
Maybe your mounts are messed up or wrong. My 89 when I did my tranny swap I broke 3 axles in my driveway because I had an automatic body mount. Also there should be a c clip on the end you might have to bend. My last axle I had to hit in with a sledge. It's been working since. You have to make sure they clip into place if not they will fall out. Your fluid is probably low now too.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Tuesday, November 06, 2012 10:12 AM
drivers axle is the same pre00 and 00+ so wrong length couldnt be the issue.... and dunno about the issue robs saying... ive been driving the car swapped for 3yrs now i belive if not longer... first time this has ever happend. maybe just a bad cv shaft i guess?

My 3400 Swap Page
Tuesday, November 06, 2012 10:27 AM
You need to replace the C clip on the end of the axle shaft.. It's supposed to be replaced anytime you remove an axle, noone ever does it because usually you can get away with it once or twice. 4 times is excessive. It's worn out, it needs to be replaced.

This problem will only get worse with time.

On another note, holy @!#$ 4 transmissions? Someone needs a driver mod!

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Tuesday, November 06, 2012 2:25 PM
^^ lol 2 isuszus and then i swapped to the getrag... drag strip took care of one and this one is still alive lol.... can you actually replace just the c clips or will it just be easier to get a new CV shaft?

My 3400 Swap Page
Tuesday, November 06, 2012 3:46 PM
should be able to buy just the clips.

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search