LSD question - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
LSD question
Wednesday, November 21, 2012 1:24 AM
Anyone running a team green LSD or any other LSD? I am wondering of you were to break an axle can you still drive the car if you remove the broken side or will it keep spinning the broken side?

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.

Re: LSD question
Wednesday, November 21, 2012 5:20 AM
I have a Team Green insert, but could not answer your question.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 11:10 PM
i have a TG insert and broke an axle in a wreck and couldn't move. Not exactly what you asked, but thats what happened to me lol
Thursday, November 22, 2012 12:42 AM
Ultimately, even if you could, you wouldn't want to, as all of your trans fluid would be spilling out of your diff and you'd wreck your trans. It might be ok to say, limp off the track if you broke your axle but not a "hey I still need to get to work all week and can't afford an axle at the moment" kinda deal. There's a Team Green insert in my trans at the moment but I doubt it's strong enough to actually pull the car with one wheel.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Thursday, November 22, 2012 1:16 AM
I wasn't planning on removing the tri pod output shaft of it broke so no trams fluid would be lost. Maybe I will just have the diff welded. The car is going to be used in a 3,000+ mile trip from the united states through south america. I do not want to be stranded in another country. So I want every possible backup option.

Thursday, November 22, 2012 2:44 AM
Rob Dotterer wrote:Maybe I will just have the diff welded.

That is a horrible idea. Not only will that ruin your diff, but it will make the car a bitch to steer. If breaking an axle is your main concern on this trip then pick up a spare set or 2.

Thursday, November 22, 2012 2:57 AM
Quite a few people run welded diffs. There are a few people on v6z24 with them too.

Thursday, November 22, 2012 6:03 AM
Ok after reading this i'm guessing your talk about breaking a cv shaft if you pull the whole axle out you have more then one problem. But if you just pull the center of the axle and keep the end in the tran and keep the end in the wheel bearing to keep it from falling a part. So i don't see why you could not drive i would strong not do that because you well have alot of issues then and hard to drive.
Thursday, November 22, 2012 10:04 AM
My buddy ran a welded diff in his 2nd Gen cav, worked like a charm, only noticed it was welded if you were turning in a parking lot or making a really slow left hand turn onto a road.

He once broke an axle with it and still drove it home, about 200km's once. Just can't really feed it any gas as it will pull very hard to the side thats driving the car.

A note I should add, he was running the stock 14" steelies and tires....I'm sure with a wider than 195 tire you would notice the effects more.

I should also add, 99.99999999999% of cavaliers on the road will never blow an axle driving it around, unless you plan to hit the drag strip in south america I seriously wouldn't worry about it.

Highway driving is way less stressful on a car than city driving, if your confident your car can go an entire oil change without something breaking around town, then you shouldn't worry about taking it on a 3,000mi trip.

Thursday, November 22, 2012 2:03 PM
I was just looking at some of the roads and things down there. I live in pa. I was planning in driving to Texas doing an oil change and looking over the car before leaving the country. There are 4 cars going with so we are taking tools and extra parts. I was looking at some of the roads down there and I do not want to be stranded I. The middle of no where or I a bad area lol. If you don't plan for an issue you will have it happen.

Thursday, November 22, 2012 9:42 PM
Rob Dotterer wrote:Quite a few people run welded diffs. There are a few people on v6z24 with them too.

Quite a few people lower on stock struts and that doesnt make it right. If the welds break loose on the trip then you just killed the trans and trying to drive with a broken axle will be the least of your worries. Welding a diff is a corner i WILL NOT cut. Good LSDs or spools are a much much much safer and reliable way to lock both axles together.

Saturday, February 09, 2013 8:38 AM
We ran a welded diff in our drag car. Not only did we bust an axle (broke while driving around the pits), but the car was a pain to drive anywhere but straight down the track...... granted it also didn't have power steering.

But to answer your question, no, you can't drive with one axle using one of our inserts.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search