gearing change for f23? - Page 2 - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: gearing change for f23?
Thursday, February 07, 2013 5:29 PM
its pretty easy to swap out a drag setup(wheels slicks) at the track

RIP Cpl Derek Kerns And Cpl Robby Reyes
24th MEU VMM-261 (REIN) V22 Crewchiefs
11 April 2012 Morocco (African Lion)

Thursday, February 07, 2013 6:21 PM
I trap 115 running low 12s.

120+ is gonna be damn hard.

Thursday, February 07, 2013 8:18 PM
Im building a street car not a track car.. i just like to go to the track... i can see where the track talk overcame my actual purpose... what i meant is i snapped rods twice from going into 5th gear under boost... now granted that was a stock rod... but the 5th gear full boost is still something i cant risk... i guess when i get to that point ill find out whats possible
Friday, February 08, 2013 1:17 PM
ecotecnik wrote:Im building a street car not a track car.. i just like to go to the track... i can see where the track talk overcame my actual purpose... what i meant is i snapped rods twice from going into 5th gear under boost... now granted that was a stock rod... but the 5th gear full boost is still something i cant risk... i guess when i get to that point ill find out whats possible

WTF are you talking about who cares about 5 gear no reason to be in boost in fifth if your building a street car then why you want so much power oh thats right you want to take it to the TRACK so just grab some steelies/MH combo and swap them out when you get there oh and they are DOT stamped so technically you would still be a STREET car. IMO your building a track car that you can still drive on the street anything over 350whpon a fwd is to much for a street car.

Friday, February 08, 2013 1:22 PM
DaFlyinSkwirl (Pj) v2.0 wrote:
I don't recall any j-bodies trapping that high with that little horsepower. you're going to be in the 500 neighborhood for 120mph+

I trapped 118mph with 323hp and 285tq. That was doing a 2.4 60' even on my Falkens. I imagine I will be close to 400hp at the wheels this time and hopefully trapping over 120.

Friday, February 08, 2013 6:01 PM
A track car is a car that only goes to the track... and fyi 4th ran out at 115 so theres most certainly a need for 5th gear if your running that fast..im not wasting my time with slicks till the cars done... its pretty stupid to but tires until you have the car done... and the brakes i. Gonna run need at least 17s
Friday, February 08, 2013 6:32 PM
ecotecnik wrote:A track car is a car that only goes to the track... and fyi 4th ran out at 115 so theres most certainly a need for 5th gear if your running that fast..im not wasting my time with slicks till the cars done... its pretty stupid to but tires until you have the car done... and the brakes i. Gonna run need at least 17s

you sure you dont have your gears wrong? I have NEVER went into 5th at the track.... I have to hit 4th right before I cross the finish line...

Friday, February 08, 2013 6:32 PM
Whatever dude good luck

Friday, February 08, 2013 8:06 PM
ecotecnik wrote:A track car is a car that only goes to the track... and fyi 4th ran out at 115 so theres most certainly a need for 5th gear if your running that fast..im not wasting my time with slicks till the cars done... its pretty stupid to but tires until you have the car done... and the brakes i. Gonna run need at least 17s

I've seen 15s fit over wilwood 12.19" rotors, so wtf brakes are you running?

and how does 4th run out at 115?

I was trapping 97mph in 3rd gear... I never shifted to 4th.

another gear only gives you 10mph?

I'm beginning to seriously doubt your credibility.

Friday, February 08, 2013 11:27 PM
I could post an old video to my youtube and show it only goes 75 in 3rd... ive owned the car for 4 years and eco swapped it 3 years ago.. its not like i have no idea what my car does...
Friday, February 08, 2013 11:33 PM
I meant 85 and pj pretty sure you reved to 7500 rpms.... the ? Was about gearing not rev limiters... im not changing cams so theres no need to rev past 7000... on 215/45/17 85 is my max at 6500 in 3rd. I was at 4500-5k at the trap in 4th gear which is why i posted this... it makes it worthless to post and ask when everyone would rather argue and be assholes than help.. im not 12 sorry if you dont wanna help dont chime in...

Saturday, February 09, 2013 2:02 AM
ecotecnik wrote:I meant 85 and pj pretty sure you reved to 7500 rpms.... the ? Was about gearing not rev limiters... im not changing cams so theres no need to rev past 7000... on 215/45/17 85 is my max at 6500 in 3rd. I was at 4500-5k at the trap in 4th gear which is why i posted this... it makes it worthless to post and ask when everyone would rather argue and be assholes than help.. im not 12 sorry if you dont wanna help dont chime in...

there is a need to rev above 7000 if you have no more gears left.

you want the car to be fast right? you're going to have to do what you need to do to get these trap speeds you think your car is going to get.
unfortunately, there aren't many final drive options available for the F23. rev limit plays into gearing calculations, so when all else fails, just rev the damn engine out.

when I would hit 97, the engine was probably close to 7800 rpm. shifting into 4th or winding out 3rd made a negligible difference in my e/t, so I decided to eliminate the final shift and just ride out the gear.

if you watch in this video, I'm hitting just under 70mph at the top of second gear.

you need to rev out more or something man, idk what else to tell you.

Saturday, February 09, 2013 3:11 AM
I know before I upped the power/boost I could hold out 3rd gear and cross but VERY close to or actually hitting the rev limiter some times. Once the power increase came, I didnt have a choice but to hit 4th gear. Worst part is I am only hitting 4th gear for a short amount of time but its enough to force me to shift which still takes time off the clock. I do no lift shift which helps and just stomp and grab the gear as fast as humanly possible.

Saturday, February 09, 2013 3:55 AM
sometimes, if the shift happens so late in the run, shifting a little early may be better.
depends on the drop rpm and where your peak power is I guess

Saturday, February 09, 2013 12:41 PM
yeah but this dudes car has way more power then anything JBO has seen so we have no clue what we are talking about as we still launch in 1st the hit 2nd,3rd so on pretty sure since the OP has all this unheard of power he is launching in 2nd then 3rd, 4th so on sorry dude i try not to be an @$$ but there is ppl here that have been drag racing for quite some time and have given you great advice but your to dumb to realize that

Saturday, February 09, 2013 1:03 PM
See now when did i say that... i said i top 3rd at 85 and 4th at about 115 at 6500 no mention of having too much power... power has absolutely nothing to do with where the gear runs out.. i could have 1000 hp amd still wouldnt be able to go faster.... and i understand pj i just really wanted to explore my options as far as gearing... i guess ill have to raise the limiter higher than i planned... idk what its gonna trap im just taking an educated guess based on others trap speeds... i never planned on making the highest hp just want 400 logical explanation why not lol... i can alway turn the power down.. plus boost by gear is going to help severely... i only worry that the sto k cams are useless at that high of an rpm and i know turbo cams are the answer
Saturday, February 09, 2013 3:21 PM
How are you planning on doing the boost by gear

Saturday, February 09, 2013 5:18 PM
Turbosmart e boost 2.. im running an eboost street ebc now the eboost 2 has boost by gear...
Saturday, February 09, 2013 10:35 PM

This is 4th gear.

Ignore me talking like a dumbass...

Sunday, February 10, 2013 8:19 PM
Its snowing and @!#$ here off and on so i will take a vid next day its dry...i cant post videos on her no idea how
Sunday, February 10, 2013 8:24 PM
Host them somewhere like photo. Bucket

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 10:28 PM
i cant get a break with the snow.. i tried to take a video of 3rd gear but as i was on the way to the car it started snowing.. ill get a video this weekend if i can or tom it may be nice..
Thursday, February 14, 2013 8:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jNXf5NaVL4

finnally a day i could take a video
Thursday, February 14, 2013 9:48 PM
Dude just set your rev limiter higher, I have a stock 2.4 in my 02 Cavy that is stock and revs alot higher, Set your rev limiter at 7500 and call it good, there problem solved.

FuzzMASTA9
Friday, February 22, 2013 8:16 PM
Your at 115mph in 4th gear at 6500 rpm?

My F23, stock gearing, 225/45/17 tires, I am over 117mph at about 6100/6200... something doesn't add up with your numbers.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search