I Be NVG Swappin - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
I Be NVG Swappin
Tuesday, April 23, 2013 5:34 PM
So that abomination of a transmission that is the Isuzu finally gave up after 149000 miles. The bearings are squealing, I lost 2nd and 4th, 1st,3rd, and 5 grind. And its leaking gear oil out of the sight hole under the ring gear.

Picked up my NVG the other day and have the front mount coming from Scott Trent.

I read as much as I could on the topic via the search function. However if any of you have any useful tips or tricks for this I would appreciate it.

Re: I Be NVG Swappin
Tuesday, April 30, 2013 11:43 AM
I hope you have the shift cable bracket for it?

Install it like you would the isuzu, use the NVG front mount as you well know and the isuzu rear mount. If you plan to put aftermarket bushings into the mounts you need to lathe down the front a bit - I have a post to this effect somewhere in this forum.

After that just bolt it up, you need to jig the cables a bit but once that's done all is well. Don't be alarmed if you find the transmission to be notchy - that is the way they are and frankly I prefer it.

Get a new reverse light sensor ($12 or so) - all the plugs go into the trans. I would also get a new dipstick (I used a new isuzu one, they are the same.)

Try to pair it up with a B&M if you can... the feedback from shifts is very satisfying.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Tuesday, April 30, 2013 12:12 PM
I'm in the process of making a new shift cable bracket right now. Not dealing with extending anything, lol. Trans is in the car and mounted up.

Using 1/4 plate steel and the Isuzu cable bracket, cutting the cable upright part with the slots in it, cutting it in 2 and welding them on the plate steel, one of the ears will be 1 inch or so forward to compensate for the short cable end length.

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 1:44 PM
what is the NVG?
Tuesday, April 30, 2013 1:50 PM
Harold Kelly wrote:what is the NVG?

A 5 speed front wheel drive transmission, mine came off a quad 4 car. It was manufactured by New Venture Gear( hence the NVG).

Its far more durable than the @!#$zu in my car and is almost a direct swap.

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 6:37 AM
Made the shift cable bracket last night. Took me 2 hours to make. Cables dropped right in and I didn't need and cable extensions and I can now use the factory shift cable retainers.

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 10:51 AM
Nicely done! Pics?

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Thursday, May 02, 2013 2:44 PM
I cant wait to get mine swapped in. Also cant wait to see what the mantapart shifter feels like with it. Again you failed to mention this badboy has a torsen ryan. Lol

M45/OS crank/2.4 snout. It's nice to be injected but I love being blown!
Thursday, May 02, 2013 2:55 PM
Car is done and it drives great. With the nvg's gearing it seems to have a little more giddy up. The shift cable bracket turned out great, I didn't have to use any cable extensions and the cables retain the factory clips to hold them in the bracket. Took me about 2 hours to make the bracket and $1 in steel from the welding shop.

Monday, May 06, 2013 7:55 AM
That trans has a torsion in it?

I eternally hate you now.

The car has more giddy up with the NVG's shorter gearing for sure... but I guarantee you are going to loathe 5th gear on the highway for mileage.

Do you like how notchy the detents make the shifter feel in the trans? Personally I love it.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search