Shifter play - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Shifter play
Wednesday, June 19, 2013 8:43 PM
Will a short shifter like ralco rz fiz slop in the ball and socket? I seen there were good review on here but I cannot find any remedies besides one post saying they used 1 larger oring and one thinner oring but to me that sounds like it would just move the ball up higher or lower in the socket which is not fixing the issue.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.

Re: Shifter play
Wednesday, June 19, 2013 9:06 PM
Depends on where the play is from. The cables tend to stretch and cause a significant amount of slop. Also, the socket is plastic as well as the ball on the stick so either one, or both, could be worn. A new stick may not be the answer if the socket and lines are beat.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, June 19, 2013 9:25 PM
Are there any rebuild kits or replacement kits for the shifter? It's a 2000 by the way. I tried my best to check the cables when the dash and console was out and I had someone move the shifter when I looked under the hood at the tranny and the play seems to come crime the shifter itself.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 9:30 PM
Definitely a possibility. But still the socket could be worn out as well as the ball on the stick. Maybe get on PJ to manufacture and sell his full metal setup?

I dont know much else but I do know that the b&m unit installed in my car before I bought it is rock solid. It seems like that setup was just the stick and ball, using the stock socket. Dunno about gaskets or o rings. I also know b&m no longer makes the piece and they're tough to find.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, June 19, 2013 9:42 PM
Jdm parts wholesale has b&m shifters for 00-05 cavalier for $170.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search