Hard to engage first - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Hard to engage first
Tuesday, August 13, 2013 12:14 PM
I just got a 2000 5spd cavalier 2200sfi and my problem is its hard to find first every other gear is fine. I can downshift from 3rd to second fine. I haven't seen anything on here about it. I was thinking new cables but everything I know from changing them to reading about other people's problems no one can get 2,4,r. So can anyone point me in the right directon.

Re: Hard to engage first
Tuesday, August 13, 2013 1:36 PM
Are you trying to get into first while rolling? Not recommended. First isn't synchronized like 2/3/4 and 5.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Tuesday, August 13, 2013 1:40 PM
No first from a dead stop
Thursday, August 15, 2013 3:54 AM
If you go into second then to first how is it?

FU Tuning

Thursday, August 15, 2013 5:41 AM
Mine sometimes has a hard time finding first. My new habit is when it is stopped I put it in third then pull it back and hit first, works every time. When the car has been sitting for long enough and the input shaft has stopped spinning it finds first just fine.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Friday, August 16, 2013 1:28 PM
No it does the same thing. I pull the shifter all the way to the left to we're footsteps is and it still goes into third.
Friday, August 16, 2013 1:55 PM
I would look at the cables then. I know I had a similar issue, there it wouldnt go in 1,3,5 but 2,4,R were solid. The little bushing thing where the cables bolt to the transmission was broken and the whole thing was moving and causing incorrect engagement.

Where is 5th? not all the way right?

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Monday, August 19, 2013 1:12 PM
I'm not sure I only use first and second
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search