How to tell what motor a trans is from - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How to tell what motor a trans is from
Friday, September 27, 2013 10:10 PM
First post, and google is failing me.

We bought a 1996 Sunfire with a 2.2 to build for a Lemons race. The car was originally a 3 speed, but has a 4 speed in it now. The previous owners did not switch computers or the wiring harness, so needless to say it doesn't shift. Probably wasn't a big deal to the previous owner because they raced a short dirt track.

I can't seem to come up with a computer and harness that I am sure is from a throttle body 2.2. I found a 96 cavalier in the junk yard that someone has already pulled the motor and harness out of, but left the 5 speed in it. We would like to do a manual swap, since it was what we wanted in the first place. Is there an easy way to find out if this trans is indeed for the 2.2? We haven't pulled the 4 speed out yet since we weren't 100% sure which way we were going to go with it.

Re: How to tell what motor a trans is from
Friday, October 04, 2013 12:01 AM
GM transmission patterns

Also, if the car is complete enough, you can check to see if it was a Z24 or up level RS/LS model because those always had the 2.4 . 8th character of the VIN will also tell you for sure what the car had stock. If the character is a "4" it had the 2.2 OHV, a "T" would be the 2.4 Twin Cam.

If the VIN is missing, you can usually check super base models might not have front sway bars at all or really tiny ones, grey bumper cars always had the 2.2, z24's usually had a dual outlet muffler from factory, Z24's sometimes had a stiffener bar in the rear axle.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search