cannot get my bell housing off?? help! - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
cannot get my bell housing off?? help!
Sunday, December 15, 2013 3:33 PM
its pretty self explanatory what I need help with. all the bolts are and the bell housing can be separated from the tranny about 1/4" but it just stops an will not come off no matter how hard i try. anyone know something i need to do to get it to drop? i have a good tranny with the 2.2 eco bell housing on it which i still need to remove as well.

Re: cannot get my bell housing off?? help!
Sunday, December 15, 2013 5:35 PM
all the bolts are out*

Sunday, December 15, 2013 5:37 PM
You have to brake the black plastic cover on the clutch side of the transmission. It's about a 2 inch black plastic circle. Under that is the last bolt. You need an impact gun to take it off because it threads into the gears and they will turn if you try it by hand. Also make sure the Trans is in a high gear or they will turn With the impact gun.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Monday, December 16, 2013 8:20 AM
is there anyway to not break it and pry it out? or does it not really matter if it's broken? thank you by the way! you're a big help, i never would have figured that out.

Monday, December 16, 2013 8:56 AM
I know. I destroyed 3 transmissions at the junkyard trying to figure that out. I punched a hole through my with a screw driver and pryed it out. Then I siliconed it back on and siliconed the hole shut. Now that I think of it, it may be a metal cover. I did it a month or two ago. Just silicone it shut. I think that's what everyone else does. There is a thread titled f23 secret bolt and it has the part number for the cover if you want to buy a new one but I did not see any use.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Monday, December 16, 2013 9:11 AM
sweet, you are a life saver! thank you!

Monday, December 16, 2013 9:50 AM
Rob Dotterer wrote:I know. I destroyed 3 transmissions at the junkyard trying to figure that out. I punched a hole through my with a screw driver and pryed it out. Then I siliconed it back on and siliconed the hole shut. Now that I think of it, it may be a metal cover. I did it a month or two ago. Just silicone it shut. I think that's what everyone else does. There is a thread titled f23 secret bolt and it has the part number for the cover if you want to buy a new one but I did not see any use.

is the thread a reverse thread? I've been trying to get it off but i cannot for the life of me get it. and I'm using an impact.

Monday, December 16, 2013 12:39 PM
i got it. I'm pretty sure it was over tightened because the bolt on my new tranny wasn't hard to get off. ended up using two breaker bars to do them both! on the spline shaft i took a nail and put it in a spline and then a 24mm socket and i tapped it over it and put the bar on the socket to keep it from spinning and a couple jerks and it unscrewed. thanks so much for your help!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search