4T40 and traction control - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
4T40 and traction control
Saturday, March 15, 2014 10:02 AM
Yeah, another one of these threads, sorry guys. With all the searching I have done, results say that I have traction control. But I have never seen the traction light come on. I can pull the e-brake up one notch, put the car the car into 2nd, or spin the tires and no traction control light will show. The "low trac" or "trac off" lights don't even come on when I start up the car. So I can only assume that I don't have traction control, but that is conflicting with what you guys have all said. My search-fu is not that good, and so I haven't came up with much. Did the traction control change in later years, or is something wrong with my traction control?

Re: 4T40 and traction control
Saturday, March 15, 2014 5:14 PM
Having an automatic transmission does not necessarily mean you will have traction control. My 04 base auto did not have it whereas my 02 LS Sport auto did.

Saturday, March 15, 2014 5:20 PM
4 speed auto's do have traction control.

FU Tuning

Saturday, March 15, 2014 6:32 PM
4 speed auto with traction control here I have a button that turns the traction control off and a few times this winter I've gotten the low traction light. If I saw it right though I guess cavaliers don't get a button to turn trac on or off though. Also I don't think having the e brake turns a light on but I don't usually use it while driving either though

2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE Sedan 2.2l Ecotec 4 Speed Auto.
Saturday, March 15, 2014 9:46 PM
My 04 base 4 speed auto was exactly as the OP describes. Tires slipped, no light. Pull the e-brake, nada. My 02 LS Sport, clear as day. Tires slip, light comes on. Pull the e-brake, light comes on. You can feel it when its working.

Sunday, March 16, 2014 8:05 AM
Addicted to meth wrote:4 speed auto's do have traction control.

So what would explain the light never coming on? I haven't seen it come on in the 3 years I have owned the car

Monday, March 24, 2014 6:51 AM
Your vehicle must be equiped with abs or else there will not be traction control.

Monday, March 24, 2014 7:27 AM
pvtmcmuffin wrote:
Addicted to meth wrote:4 speed auto's do have traction control.

So what would explain the light never coming on? I haven't seen it come on in the 3 years I have owned the car

I think he means that they can have it which is true. Just not all of them got the traction control

2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE Sedan 2.2l Ecotec 4 Speed Auto.
Monday, March 24, 2014 10:31 AM
You can order a 4T40E on a LN2 or a L61 without traction control. If it has ABS you 100% have traction control.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search