KY Clutch Slippage - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
KY Clutch Slippage
Thursday, April 10, 2014 9:46 AM
I have a KY Stage 3 clutch (6-puck sprung) and pressure plate (2400 lb), with a new throwout bearing. I resurfaced the stock flywheel.

This was installed and up and running back in Februrary and I've driven the car occasionally since then. It grabs hard off the bat when going slow, but if I'm in 3rd or higher and give it some heavy throttle, it will lose grip and slip when boost rises. Kind of @!#$ty since this clutch is supposedly rated for 475 ft-lb and I'm definitely not there.

I only have about 400 miles on it, mostly highway-ish. But still, everyone tells me clutches should be strong right after you install them, there shouldn't be that huge 500 mile break in period, if it's installed right you're done.

When we bled the clutch, like nothing came out, at all. If there's air in the system somewhere or we failed at bleeding properly, could that cause the TOB to not fully release and let the pressure plate exert maximum force against the clutch? I don't get it. I guess I have to go find another high torque clutch from a different supplier.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero

Re: KY Clutch Slippage
Thursday, April 10, 2014 10:19 AM
Insert Mike Roofy.....I think he was having the EXACT SAME ISSUE.

He bought a different clutch..and I think got a refund.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, April 10, 2014 11:28 AM
Damn it.

I guess I'll have to call KY and explain the problem and send it back for a refund.

And then find some other clutch to order and install. I've heard good things of the Bully Stage 4 but no idea where to buy it. And of course the Clutchma$ter$ twin di$c...

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Thursday, April 10, 2014 2:14 PM
Unfortunate to hear; this is the second poor review for ky clutch. There isn't a single clutch option for our cars that I haven't heard at least one bad review about.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Thursday, April 10, 2014 6:09 PM
Indeed... EXACT same issue. They replaced it once under "warranty" only after I bitched for weeks. Same explanation. Needs to be "broken in" for up to 1500 miles. Second KY clutch has the same issue. Almost 2K miles and still slipping under a load. They refused to do a refund. Super pissed at KY and I will do everything in my power to dissuade anyone from buying anything from them .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, April 10, 2014 6:13 PM

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Thursday, April 10, 2014 8:45 PM
Well crap, I guess it's going to be hard to get a refund then. I bought it through TurboTechRacing too, not direct.

What clutch should I get?

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Saturday, April 12, 2014 7:16 PM
I have the KY stage 2. Since September. Has been awesome.

Sucks to hear. I would for sure contact TTR and see what they will do.

FU Tuning

Saturday, April 12, 2014 8:25 PM
Addicted to meth wrote:I have the KY stage 2. Since September. Has been awesome.

What kind of power are you putting through it?

Addicted to meth wrote:Sucks to hear. I would for sure contact TTR and see what they will do.

I contacted TTR today. I'll wait on that response before I contact KY directly.
Ordered a Bully Stage 4 in the meantime.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Saturday, April 12, 2014 9:03 PM
Well that was quick:
Turbo Tech Racing wrote:Your RMA request has been denied.

Date: 4/12/2014
Comments: Returns are only accepted for 15 days on new non used products. You would need to contact KY directly to see if they will warranty your clutch. Standard clutch warranty on all clutch kits (Spec/Clutch Masters/KY/etc) are all 90 days, where you are 6 months. Again best to call KY directly to see if they can do anything to help.

KY will probably tell me their clutches are the best and mine is slipping only because it takes 20,000 miles to break in. Waste of $420.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Saturday, April 12, 2014 11:36 PM
I had the same issue. I ended up saying I hate money and dropping more money than I wanted into a Centerforce clutch. Hurt pretty bad at the time but it has performed flawlessly for me, I am happy with my decision.

Sunday, April 13, 2014 3:17 PM
Quote:

What kind of power are you putting through it?

Not your kind of power. Like 220-230whp.

I would still call them as they were very helpful to a friend of mine who was looking for a clutch. He has a turbo Ecotec and so far no issues.

FU Tuning

Thursday, April 17, 2014 5:12 PM
Roofy wrote:Indeed... EXACT same issue. They replaced it once under "warranty" only after I bitched for weeks. Same explanation. Needs to be "broken in" for up to 1500 miles. Second KY clutch has the same issue. Almost 2K miles and still slipping under a load. They refused to do a refund. Super pissed at KY and I will do everything in my power to dissuade anyone from buying anything from them .

Gottdam that's terrible .... If I worked at that Co. I'd be asamed if something like that got out the door ...
Friday, April 18, 2014 10:32 PM
I should have went with another of my ACT hybrid clutches. But I was in a crunch and needed one ASAP and TTR could get me the KY overnighted. Still super pissed at the whole situation and KY can go to hell. If I were close to their shop I would firebomb the damn place.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Saturday, April 19, 2014 3:54 AM
Roofy wrote:I should have went with another of my ACT hybrid clutches. But I was in a crunch and needed one ASAP and TTR could get me the KY overnighted. Still super pissed at the whole situation and KY can go to hell. If I were close to their shop I would firebomb the damn place.

This is the ONLY setup I have not read a complaint about but I figured it was just because not man run it. So it's an l61 flywheel and pressure plate with a sprung 6 puck ld9 disk correct? Had I stayed l61 I would have gone with that.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, April 22, 2014 3:22 PM
But according to TTR, KY clutches are the best thing out there for cobalts...

After driving a bit with my Clutchmasters Twin Disc, I do like it. It is solid. If I had to do it again, I would not go twin disc... instead I would go with the FX400 6 puck sprung. A little more engagement friendly. No real complaints with my twin disc... I know once I drive it a bit more I will be used to it and second nature.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, April 22, 2014 3:26 PM

Sunday, May 25, 2014 10:00 AM
Just hearing about this and a KY clutch was just mailed to me.

GMR has got nothing on this
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search