F23 Potential Shifter Cable Issue? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
F23 Potential Shifter Cable Issue?
Thursday, December 11, 2014 10:42 PM
So after my factory stock F23 I got with my new z24 02' Cavi blew decided to pick one up from kansas with 73k miles on it
finally swapped it in and got everything connected, ended up blowing a fuse because I connected my battery with key on (lol blinker fuse)
I'm having this strange issue where when I try to shift into reverse I just can't, I had no problem switching it to reverse when the tranny was not connected to shifter cables, but they didn't appear to be stretched, could the knob on the shift nob that you pull up for reverse be causing the problem because it's a Sunfire 2.4 F23 I got from the salvage yard, good condition but why can't I shift into reverse? I properly aligned the shift rack with my cables from the shift knob, so I can't figure out what the problem is, maybe they are stretched, how can you tell?
I'm new to the J-body game btw. Loved my cavi till the F23, F23'd me right in the behind.
Any help would be appreciated.

Re: F23 Potential Shifter Cable Issue?
Thursday, December 11, 2014 11:09 PM
If you take the console unclip the shifter cables from the shifter. On the back of the shifter is a c clip. You put the shifter dead center and push the clip in it will lock the shifter in neutral then reclip the shifter cables to the shifter. Then pull the c clip out and try using reverse. This is how you adjust the shifter cables.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Friday, December 12, 2014 5:28 AM
Rob Dotterer wrote:If you take the console unclip the shifter cables from the shifter. On the back of the shifter is a c clip. You put the shifter dead center and push the clip in it will lock the shifter in neutral then reclip the shifter cables to the shifter. Then pull the c clip out and try using reverse. This is how you adjust the shifter cables.

I have never heard of this.

Not saying it is not true, just never heard of it.

FU Tuning

Friday, December 12, 2014 12:21 PM
How do you think gm gets every shifter perfect? Also this allows you to adjust if the cables stretch. I have posted this many times. The bad part is aftermarket shifters do not have these holes.

Attachments
G00094598.gif (24k)
G00281709.gif (19k)

Friday, December 12, 2014 12:32 PM
Here is a guide on how to do it. it starts at the bottom of the 1st page.
Attachments
Shift Cable.pdf (270k)

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search