Thinking of changing the fluid in your Getrag? - Page 2 - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Thinking of changing the fluid in your Getrag?
Monday, January 24, 2005 10:15 PM
Keeper: Hahah.. That is so true.. But even on not so cold mornings +10c, I still noticed it was harder to shift into 1st and 2nd.. The Saturn fluid is pure junk for sure. <br>

Dark blue 2002 Z24, 2.4 Ltr.

Sunday, January 30, 2005 6:49 PM
Update:

i just changed the fluid today to 2 quarts of royal purple. works very nice a lot better than the red crap that was in there.

you don't need to get a 5/16" hex socket to do this...the allen wrench will work--just move your intake tube to reach it. as for the bottom one, make sure that you cean out all the debris from the drain plug, and it should come out fine and not strip it. (mine hag grease in the hex socket). I didn't need the pipe, either, but some of you might. <br>

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Wednesday, February 02, 2005 3:44 PM
Keeper hows the rattle???

Friday, February 04, 2005 11:10 AM
after reading this topic, i now think that the reason why my tranny doesn't like first gear might be because of my fluid. now i have to ask, in Alberta Canada where can i get the Red line MTL or Royal Purple Synchromax, and if it does increase the wear of the synchronizer, what are the symptoms of the synchronizer going???

Travis Nobert
Travis Enterprise
Come on down to Evolution Audio in Edmonton Alberta, and I can HOOK YOU UP.
Friday, February 04, 2005 11:53 AM
what rattle? the low RPM harmonic noise? hadn't noticed it

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
Sunday, February 06, 2005 8:09 PM
I'd like to modify the fluid change instructions given earlier.
The fill plug comes out first. The main reason being, if you can't get the fill plug out, you want to find out BEFORE you drain the tranny.
Monday, February 07, 2005 2:24 PM
I changed my fluid over to the B&M Trick Shift Synthetic ATF. Wow what a difference!! I don't have to fight the tranny into first and third anymore. Should have changed it a long time ago!

Sunday, May 08, 2005 12:41 PM
Bringing this back from the dead..... So I can use 5w30 oil in my Isuzu 5 speed trans

Yes it is a cavalier deal with it
Thursday, May 12, 2005 2:16 PM
K.. I have a 01' with the 22000 motor 5spd.. And the red cap on the right side of the motor on the top tranmission is not the way to pour the fuild into the tranny..?

And to that questions is my tranny the same as in a 04 LS..?

What's wronge with stock..?
Friday, May 13, 2005 4:47 PM
Yes, the tranny should be the same...maybe a different differential.

There should be a hex plug near that, that's where you want to fill it--the red cap is a vent cap. While it is possible to fill it throuhg this, the hole is arrange so you have to do it VERY slowly--else the flid goes everywhere. use the hex plug.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Sunday, October 10, 2010 8:37 PM
definitely bringing this post back from the dead, but can the getrag's get flushes done like the auto trannys or is it just a fluid drain and change? if so my 2004 sunfire has 150,000 KM would if be a good idea to do this or no? i saw on other posts that most shops wont flush an auto tranny after 100,00 miles, so im just curious. if not then im just gonna drain mine and put some B&M Trick Shift Synthetic ATF in and see if that makes a difference. I find the shifting it getting a bit sticky when putting it into gear.

Sunday, October 10, 2010 10:04 PM
Spitfire wrote:definitely bringing this post back from the dead, but can the getrag's get flushes done like the auto trannys or is it just a fluid drain and change? if so my 2004 sunfire has 150,000 KM would if be a good idea to do this or no? i saw on other posts that most shops wont flush an auto tranny after 100,00 miles, so im just curious. if not then im just gonna drain mine and put some B&M Trick Shift Synthetic ATF in and see if that makes a difference. I find the shifting it getting a bit sticky when putting it into gear.
its just drain and fill, autos need a flush because you cant completely drain it. a manual can be. do it you might be happy lol

ʇı ɹǝʍo7 | ǝcoMonstǝrs

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 1:31 AM
Ok, bringing this back from the dead...

Is there a difference in fluids labeled as Dexron IIIG or Dexron IIIH? I'm assuming these are just newer versions of Dexron III, that surfaced as GM made slight changes to their spec, and are all interchangeable? I ask as I'm looking at mobile 1 ATF and their specs don't list just Dexron III for interchange, but list IIIg and IIIh.
Thanks

Sunday, May 03, 2015 9:23 PM
Here lately in the slightly warmer days of central ohio i have noticed some notchiness in my shifting as well. Im not sure how to check that im not losing any fluid, but i really need to check it. When i bought the car it was the smoothest shifting car ive ever drivin but its seemed to get worse. Im not sure why im hoping it just needs a fluid change. Its not realllly bad but its very notchy. How do i check tranny fluid in a 2001 z24 manual? i need to change fluids i hope. Please help guys!!!
Monday, May 04, 2015 10:22 AM
Christopher Ford wrote:Here lately in the slightly warmer days of central ohio i have noticed some notchiness in my shifting as well. Im not sure how to check that im not losing any fluid, but i really need to check it. When i bought the car it was the smoothest shifting car ive ever drivin but its seemed to get worse. Im not sure why im hoping it just needs a fluid change. Its not realllly bad but its very notchy. How do i check tranny fluid in a 2001 z24 manual? i need to change fluids i hope. Please help guys!!!

It is easier to just change the fluid. Drain and fill with 2 quarts of Royal Purple ATF.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, May 06, 2015 12:21 AM
Royal purple synchromech

ReD RaiN
Wednesday, May 06, 2015 5:10 PM
I plan on using 2 qts of Royal purple syncromesh. I also have Valvoline syncromesh too

Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren
Thursday, May 07, 2015 4:33 AM
If it's a getrag GM recommends ATF. I use 2.5 qts of Royal Purple ATF in mine and it shifts and feels great. Still have the growl but not much can be done about that.
Tuesday, May 19, 2015 3:50 AM
RED wrote:If it's a getrag GM recommends ATF. I use 2.5 qts of Royal Purple ATF in mine and it shifts and feels great. Still have the growl but not much can be done about that.

You are correct ATF is what should be used in the getrag for the 2000+ J's.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, December 09, 2015 1:14 PM
One of the first things I did when I bought my 2001 Z24 5 speed with 127k on the clock was to fix the slop/wear in the shifter lever ball.
I added another O ring on top of the original, making a bit of interference fit and liberally assembling it with Super Lube silicone grease.
Instead of feeling clunky, now it shifts like a new car.
Whatever is in the tranny is working.
There's supposed to be a dipstick somewhere according to the mumbo jumbo in my Chilton's manual but I'll be damned if I can find it.
Thursday, December 10, 2015 6:53 PM
Steve B. wrote:One of the first things I did when I bought my 2001 Z24 5 speed with 127k on the clock was to fix the slop/wear in the shifter lever ball.
I added another O ring on top of the original, making a bit of interference fit and liberally assembling it with Super Lube silicone grease.
Instead of feeling clunky, now it shifts like a new car.
Whatever is in the tranny is working.
There's supposed to be a dipstick somewhere according to the mumbo jumbo in my Chilton's manual but I'll be damned if I can find it.

The getrag in your car does not have a dipstick.

FU Tuning

Thursday, December 10, 2015 7:01 PM
So how do I check the transmission level?

Drain and refill?
Monday, December 14, 2015 4:02 AM
I didn't check my level. Drain and fill!

Added 1.9 QT. Royal Purple ATF. Zero problems. I believe the transmission takes 1.8 QT. Most people add 2.0 QT.

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"

Monday, December 14, 2015 7:53 PM
Steve B. wrote:So how do I check the transmission level?

Drain and refill?

The correct way to check is have the car level and pull drain plug. You should have fluid coming out. This is why it is best to drain and fill with 2 quarts gives you a little extra and is easier.

FU Tuning

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search